NDP Leader Mulcair Silent On Quebec Corruption

Meanwhile, there's a not a lot being said about Mulcair lying and covering up an attempted bribe. He only talked to the police in 2011 years after it happened. Imagine if this had been - say Duffy... oh the headlines.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2013/05/20130516-133047.html

MONTREAL — NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair admitted Thursday he was offered cash-stuffed envelope by a scandal-ridden mayor in 1994, despite denying the allegations three tears ago.

La Presse newspaper says Mulcair was offered the bribe just after he was first elected to the Quebec legislature for the Liberals in a Laval, Que., riding.

Citing an investigator's report, La Presse said Mulcair was presented the envelope by then-Laval mayor Gilles Vaillancourt. Mulcair did not check to see if it contained "money or a letter, but for him it was clear that this was money," said La Presse.
Mulcair rejected the cash.

In a statement Thursday, Mulcair confirmed the allegations and said he met with police in 2011 to discuss the matter.

"I gave to them my account of a meeting I had with Mayor Gilles Vaillancourt dating back to 1994," he said in a statement. "As is indicated, I effectively and immediately ended the meeting with Mr. Vaillancourt."

But he told a different story during a November 2010 press conference. Mulcair replied "No" when the reporter asked him: "Have you ever been offered money or an envelope by the mayor of Laval or have you ever seen money or an envelope near the Laval mayor? ".

shocking I say, shocking !!

Mr. Mulcair kept his firsthand knowledge of corruption from the public for two more years, before choosing to dump it today, when he felt the media would be distracted by other stories.

This presents some difficult questions for Mr. Mulcair:

1. Why did he protect Gilles Vaillancourt and cover up this alleged criminal activity for 17 years?

2. Why did it take a public inquiry into the biggest corruption scandal in Canadian history for Thomas Mulcair to finally come clean with Canadians?

3. Why did Thomas Mulcair lie and say he was never offered any money by Gilles Vaillancourt?

4. Will he agree to appear if called to testify under oath before the Charbonneau Commission?

He didn't report it to the police until years afterwards and chose this week to dump it when he knew it would be buried. see post #6

Why is it that when Duffy takes cash, it's all a media conspiracy to destroy him, but you don't even mention media bias when there's a story that tries to incriminate Mulcair for not taking cash?

Why is it that when Duffy takes cash, it's all a media conspiracy to destroy him, but you don't even mention media bias when there's a story that tries to incriminate Mulcair for not taking cash?

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/story/2013/05/16/mtl-ndp-leader-thomas-mulcair-met-with-gilles-vaillancourt.html

Is the CBC biased ?

I never said there was a media conspiracy to destroy Duffy, but it's obvious that when it's the opposition, it's not given the same coverage.

I never said there was a media conspiracy to destroy Duffy...

Mike Duffy used to be one of the media, a journalist who did the unforgivable: he went over to the dark conservative side. Worse, he accepted an appointment to the Senate. The pillorying of the Duffster must be viciously satisfying indeed.

Bonus for them if they could nail the PM in their gotcha game, a game in which the residency and housing claims of past Liberal senators will not even get so much as a thought.

...but it's obvious that when it's the opposition, it's not given the same coverage.

Uh...maybe that's because Duffy stole the money and Mulcair didn't. Edited by BubberMiley

I never said there was a media conspiracy to destroy Duffy, but it's obvious that when it's the opposition, it's not given the same coverage.

oh really! Your reference to the Press Gallery at large and the media "pillorying" Duffy fits a classic definition of conspiracy; i.e., an ill-boding, injurious design intent brought about through the concerted actions of multiple cooperating partners:

The so-called scandal is being whipped by the CBC in particular but it has lots of help from the rest of the Press gallery goons.

Mike Duffy used to be one of the media, a journalist who did the unforgivable: he went over to the dark conservative side. Worse, he accepted an appointment to the Senate. The pillorying of the Duffster must be viciously satisfying indeed.

Bonus for them if they could nail the PM in their gotcha game, a game in which the residency and housing claims of past Liberal senators will not even get so much as a thought.

Mulcair probably does have some questions to answer... and if they want him to testify at the inquiry, then he should do so....

But he never stole money or took bribes... unlike Duffy bilking taxpayers and charging expenses when he clearly had already been paid for them. To top it off he gets told by the PMO not to cooperate with auditors after a $90k payment. That's pretty slimy.

Mulcair probably does have some questions to answer... and if they want him to testify at the inquiry, then he should do so....

But he never stole money or took bribes... unlike Duffy bilking taxpayers and charging expenses when he clearly had already been paid for them. To top it off he gets told by the PMO not to cooperate with auditors after a $90k payment. That's pretty slimy.

So are you implying that it's ok for a politician to keep his or her mouth shut if they are aware of illegal activities?

If you blink,you might miss all the coverage this story is going to get in the mainstream media.

And I do think what Duffy has been doing is dead wrong,just like longtime Liberal Mac Harb,who for obvious reasons gets very little coverage.

Duffy's situation is worse than Mulcair's, and warrants more coverage. He deserves punishment to the full extent of the law. But there is no doubt the media loves to cover conservative problems more than liberal, that's just what they do.

I think Mulcair should have stepped forward and opened his mouth right away.He knew what was going on for all these years and did.........nothing.It doesn't say much for his judgement.

As for these lazy ass Senators,I bet we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg here.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/story/2013/05/16/mtl-ndp-leader-thomas-mulcair-met-with-gilles-vaillancourt.html

Is the CBC biased ?

Makes sense.

The opposition is not in the same position as the government.

WWWTT

So far,nothing mentioned about Mulcair in the Ottawa Citizen,no surprise there.

Let's be honest here,negative stories about the lefties get little or no coverage at all in this country from most of the mainstream media.And it is because they have their own agenda,namely to promote leftist ideology over all else.