BC Premier Christy Clark ... vindicated.

The polls told us all along that the NDP would win this election... but the polls were wrong. Quite peculiar, that. I wonder if the polling over-sampled the NDP-leaning Lower Mainland, and under-sampled the Liberal-leaning rest of the province.

The Liberals didn't just maintain their majority, they actually increased it. I think one has to interpret this as an endorsement of Christy Clark. The BC Liberal campaign put Christy Clark front and center, and the public approved.

Clark has been a controversial figure even within her own party, as the "old guard" never really accepted her. There had been some talk about a party mutiny against Clark right after the election. But I think this result makes that scenario unlikely. She won them this election.

Of course... Clark lost her own seat. Dan Ashton, the mayor of Penticton, won a seat in the legislature. He never resigned as mayor; he is on a leave of absence. There is talk that Ashton may resign his seat in the Legislature and resume his post as mayor, giving Clark the opportunity to run in a byelection. Penticton is a pretty safe seat for the Liberals.

-k

Guest Derek L

Actually the Lower Mainland went mostly Liberal. They wouldn't have been able to win without it. The coast went solidly NDP, while the interior is all Liberal. Pollsters are saying one reason they got it wrong is giving too much weight to the 18 to 35 crowd, who don't vote.

I also read a piece on Global last night, that the NDP's stance on the pipelines and resource development cost them the support of the Trade Unions, and that their foggy commitment to Education (and the BCTF’s contract up this summer) may have also cost them teachers and CUPE workers…….My sister and brother in-law are both teachers and decades long supporters of both the Provincial and Federal NDP, and they went with the Greens…….

The polls told us all along that the NDP would win this election... but the polls were wrong. Quite peculiar, that.

-k

So did you punch yourself on the right side of the face? The winning side.

Couldn't have turned out better, actually. Christy Clark lost in her riding but the liberals gained a larger majority.

I think the liberals, under Clark, were able to split the NDP vote.

I also read a piece on Global last night, that the NDP's stance on the pipelines and resource development cost them the support of the Trade Unions,

I think it did. I voted NDP, would have unless Dix turned out to be a child molester, becasue I think it's time for the Libs to spend time in opposition. Still, when he came out with his pipeline and coal shipment stances, I went uh oh. He was stupid, there was no reason to make those announcements. Guess he thought his danger lay more in the greens than the Libs. That's what believing polls will do I guess.

I wouldn't call losing her riding vindicated.

There was simply little change since last election. Voting habits are tough to break.

The big loser is B.C.'s environment which is going to be raped as per campaign promise. To many here that's not a big deal. It would be nice if they would just go to Mars where they can all circle over the resources there without actually irrevocably harming life on earth.

Guest Derek L

I think it did. I voted NDP, would have unless Dix turned out to be a child molester, becasue I think it's time for the Libs to spend time in opposition. Still, when he came out with his pipeline and coal shipment stances, I went uh oh. He was stupid, there was no reason to make those announcements. Guess he thought his danger lay more in the greens than the Libs. That's what believing polls will do I guess.

Of course Dix and the party was stupid……..They promised to squash a jobs and revenue stream to the Province well promising deficit spending in other areas………If he had of left resource development, a very lucrative and influential business sector, alone, I’m certain he would be Premier today.

I think this is evidence that opinion polls are crap.

I think blowing 20 point leads in BC and stalling the passing of a budget in Ontario is doing a fine job of that already.

For someone who thinks "opinion polls are crap",you give "opinion polls" a lot of merit!

WWWTT

Not really, but the media does. I think opinion polls actually influence people's vote. I believe they're anti democratic.

That being said perceived or not people give weight to the polls so 20 points has to be considered a choke even if it was only partially right.

2: The Liberals may now consider themselves bullet proof and feel they can do anything but still get re-elected.

Only as long as the NDP sticks to its job killing/tax and spend agenda. If there was a middle of the road alternative in BC the liberals would have been toast.

Only as long as the NDP sticks to its job killing/tax and spend agenda. If there was a middle of the road alternative in BC the liberals would have been toast.

Maybe so but only a true political hack would try and blame the opposition for the actions of a government.

Maybe so but only a true political hack would try and blame the opposition for the actions of a government.

Who is doing that? All I said is there is a desire for an alternatives to the Liberals and that the NDP failed to tap into that desire because of its policy platform. IOW - people want Liberal policies - what they don't want is the party. Given a choice between politicians that you dislike and policies you dislike people will tend to place a priority on the policies. Edited by TimG

Who is doing that? All I said is there is a desire for an alternatives to the Liberals and that the NDP failed to tap into that desire because of its policy platform. IOW - people want Liberal policies - what they don't want is the party. Given a choice between politicians that you dislike and policies you dislike people will tend to place a priority on the policies.

The NDP ran a bad campaign as well. They let the Liberals define their policy instead of coming out with something clear and concise that the public could judge for itself. The Liberals did that even if a good part of it was BS. I'll eat my car if this province is debt free in 15 years. More likely it will have more debt. The Liberals also had plenty of baggage but the NDP didn't use any of it. Not running a negative campaign doesn't mean you ignore your opposition's history. Going after a party's policies and record isn't the same as the character assassination that goes on in many campaigns.

They let the Liberals define their policy instead of coming out with something clear and concise that the public could judge for itself.

I thought their policies were pretty clear: block any project that might create jobs, raises taxes, increase spending and then raise taxes even more when they realize their spending promises cost most than they claimed.

I agree that the debt issue will continue to be a problem but there is still a difference between voting for a party that is promising to make it worse or voting for a party that promising to reduce it (even if they are likely to fail).

Edited by TimG

I thought their policies were pretty clear: block any project that might create jobs, raises taxes, increase spending and then raise taxes even more when they realize their spending promises cost most than they claimed.

I didn't think they were clear at all and that is what allowed the Liberals to define them. People went for the Liberal definition because it was the only clear one out there.

Of course... Clark lost her own seat. Dan Ashton, the mayor of Penticton, won a seat in the legislature. He never resigned as mayor; he is on a leave of absence. There is talk that Ashton may resign his seat in the Legislature and resume his post as mayor, giving Clark the opportunity to run in a byelection. Penticton is a pretty safe seat for the Liberals.

So, explain someone, who's Premier for now?

Clark, but she can't sit in the legislature or vote until she wins a seat. It would get really interesting if she lost a bye election

How can she be Premier if she doesn't sit in the Legislative Assembly or Parliament?

How can she be Premier if she doesn't sit in the Legislative Assembly or Parliament?

There is no legal requirement that the Premier be an MLA. The only requirement is the Premier must be able to command the confidence of the legislative assembly. As leader of the majority party she will no problems doing that.

That said, tradition dictates that she must be an MLA and will have to run for office again at the earliest opportunity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister_of_Canada

Edited by TimG