Does this make you angry? Psychic said Amanda Berry was Dead

Who cares if you believe in psychics or not. I don't really believe in them but I do believe in a God. Some of you probably don't distinguish between the two but that's not what this thread is about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/08/psychic-sylvia-brown-amanda-berry_n_3238316.html?ir=Religion

A celebrity psychic has come under fire for telling Amanda Berry's late mother nearly 10 years ago that her daughter was dead. Amanda Berry went missing in 2003 and was found alive in Ohio on Monday.

Sylvia Browne, a self-described spiritual teacher and psychic, has made a career out of prophetic readings and lectures. Back in 2004, Louwana Miller turned to Browne for help on an episode of "The Montel Williams Show." She wanted to know what happened to her daughter, Amanda Berry, who disappeared at 16 years old on April 21, 2003. The psychic told the mother Berry was dead.

She’s not alive, honey,” Browne said at the time, according to NBC affiliate WKYC's report on the segment. “Your daughter’s not the kind who wouldn’t call.”

Miller then asked Browne if she was ever wrong.

“Only God is right all the time but of course I’m wrong,” Browne responded. “But after 50 years of doing this work, I’d better be more right than wrong. I always say I hope I’m wrong. When it comes to this, I hope I’m wrong.”

I remember I used to watch Montel Jordan when I was younger but didn't watch the episodes with this woman because I don't find psychics interesting.

I just find people like this Sylvia Brown prey on the broken hearted to make money. You could say that so do church's but good "Men of God" don't hold money as the key to salvation. And if they do, I think most people would see them as no different from psychics.

This woman has made money just making crap up and telling people stuff about very personal issues. It seems to me to be the height of immorality.

Thoughts?

Edited by Boges

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's dumb. But make me angry? Nah. People foolish enough to pay money to a psychic or listen to what the psychic says have no one but themselves to blame.

A fool and their money are soon parted. If a psychic does not already know why I am there, then there is no need to pursue a full session :D.

Guest American Woman

If a psychic does not already know why I am there, then there is no need to pursue a full session :D.

I don't think psychics claim to know everything. Those that do are clearly quacks, no question about it. Obviously if they knew everything, they'd be buying winning lottery tickets on a daily basis.

On the other hand, I have read about reputable psychics helping police solve crimes, and they don't do it by "knowing" whatever it is the police ask. They get feelings, visions, over the course of time using various means, that sometimes really does help. It's not as if the police go to a psychic and say "Who did it?" and the psychic thinks for a moment, and says "John Smith did it!! - and he lives at 1000 Main Street and his phone number is 555-0000."

Regarding the questions raised in the OP - I'm not inclined to feel sorry for those who use psychics; it's their choice. Clearly the psychic in the quote said she could be wrong. It's crazy to say the daughter is dead because she's the type of person who would call. Obviously everyone who is missing doesn't have the opportunity to call, or may be suffering from amnesia, or whatever - and that should be obvious. I'm inclined to dismiss psychics who 'grandstand' and put on a show, but I do believe some people do have some psychic abilities that the rest of us don't have; however, I don't think they are reading people's futures for $50 a crack or $2.99/minute on psychic hotlines.

On the other hand, I have read about reputable psychics helping police solve crimes, and they don't do it by "knowing" whatever it is the police ask. They get feelings, visions, over the course of time using various means, that sometimes really does help.

A blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Really surprised by this from you. Didnt think you would put nay stock in any of the psychi stuff. Not a condemnation , just surprised.

As for me, I think they get lucky once in awhile.

But the real truth is, they should have called Oda Mae Brown , Sylvia's sister ! :D

Guest American Woman

A blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Really surprised by this from you. Didnt think you would put nay stock in any of the psychi stuff. Not a condemnation , just surprised.

As for me, I think they get lucky once in awhile.

But the real truth is, they should have called Oda Mae Brown , Sylvia's sister ! :D

I've read about instances such as I described; if you've never have, then you don't realize the difference between them and the grandstanding/psychic hotline variety. I put no stock in that, as I said; but to dismiss the idea that some people have such abilities doesn't hold merit, either, IMO. Given the special abilities that some people have, I don't see this ability as so far-fetched.

I've read about instances such as I described; if you've never have, then you don't realize the difference between them and the grandstanding/psychic hotline variety. I put no stock in that, as I said; but to dismiss the idea that some people have such abilities doesn't hold merit, either, IMO. Given the special abilities that some people have, I don't see this ability as so far-fetched.

I think you misunderstand me here.

I get the difference you purpose, what I dont agree with is the worth of any of them, especially the "its John Smith" types .

None of them have given the Police or any other body any solid lead nor information that they don't already have. What I find is they remind people (COps et al) of what they have in their info/evidence packets and can jar a memory of something else and they act on it.

As for this psychic, well....people are desperate for answers and help, and I cant imagine the horror of a daughter missing , so if they want to go that route.....knock themselves out.

Guest American Woman

None of them have given the Police or any other body any solid lead nor information that they don't already have.

You don't know that. OTOH, there have been cases where those involved say differently.

You don't know that. OTOH, there have been cases where those involved say differently.

I know that there isnt one case that any police (in any first world country) will say was solved by psychics, or that they have info that helped them.

And for the record, there has never been a case in the USA that the FBI have given credit to a psychic for solving a crime, preventing a crime or finding a kidnap victim or corpse.

Same goes for Australia , New Zealnad Canada , the UK.

It is all hogwash.

Edited by guyser

Guest American Woman

I know that there isnt one case that any police (in any first world country) will say was solved by psychics, or that they have info that helped them.

You know no such thing.

This woman has made money just making crap up and telling people stuff about very personal issues. It seems to me to be the height of immorality.

Thoughts?

Like other posters have mentioned, if you put your faith in something that cannot be proven, you are taking a risk. She probably went there with the hope that the psychic would tell her that she was alive. This would have given her hope. Perhaps finding out that she was "dead" gave her some closure. Some people need this sort of thing and cling to it despite the lack of evidence.

It's dumb. But make me angry? Nah. People foolish enough to pay money to a psychic or listen to what the psychic says have no one but themselves to blame.

Normally I'd agree but if my daughter vanished without a trace I would lose my mind so logic would be out the window at that point.

It's one of those situations that's very difficult to judge unless you've been there.

Normally I'd agree but if my daughter vanished without a trace I would lose my mind so logic would be out the window at that point.

It's one of those situations that's very difficult to judge unless you've been there.

Quite. If a psychic wants to take advantage of someone who wants to know who they are going to marry, or whether they will win the lottery, that's one thing, but to take advantage of someone in the position you describe is beneath contempt.

Quite. If a psychic wants to take advantage of someone who wants to know who they are going to marry, or whether they will win the lottery, that's one thing, but to take advantage of someone in the position you describe is beneath contempt.

Oh agreed.

However, I was merely responding to Bonam's post which seemed a bit cynical and somewhat judgmental toward the mother.

ETA - in other words, it seemed like he was blaming the victim.

Edited by BC_chick

Yeah, me too. A parent in that position is as vulnerable as it gets, and can't be expected to show good judgement. Any straw is worth clutching in a case like that.

Guest Kenneth

http://moultrieobserver.com/local/x1131437973/Rabbit-pychic-were-keys-in-solving-murder

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19770326&id=u50uAAAAIBAJ&sjid=sKEFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2394,2539029

I don`t believe in the Sylvia Brown`s of the world! If people want to spend their money on these people and buy their books let them . But in cases like this where they tell a parent their child is dead this could lead to suicide,drug abuse and inconsolable distress on top of their already fragile state of mind.. Dangerous places to go! Cruel too!

If you want to go to these charlatons and ask about who you will marry,will you be successful for a fun night out go ahead. Have FUN! But leave these kind of things alone that can have tragic results!

All I can think about ,is how that Mom must have carried that news.

But in cases like this where they tell a parent their child is dead this could lead to suicide,drug abuse and inconsolable distress on top of their already fragile state of mind.. Dangerous places to go! Cruel too!

In this instance the lady in question has since died. People close to her attributed it to a "broken heart" due to the news of her daughters death coming from this lady.

Like I said, not one case . You really should read your own links :lol: Damns your case too !

The FBI have said, 'not one case has psychics solved "

Most any country (1st W) says the same thing.

Hey look....a Unicorn. Hello Harvey , I thought you were a rabbit?

Who cares if you believe in psychics or not. I don't really believe in them but I do believe in a God. Some of you probably don't distinguish between the two but that's not what this thread is about.

Thoughts?

Doesn't it make you angry that God let Amanda Berry suffer for 10 years?

Doesn't it make you angry that God let Amanda Berry suffer for 10 years?

Shouldn't the outrage be focused towards the Castro gentleman that kidnapped and raped these girls? I don't think God guarantees a life without suffering. But that's a circular philosophical discussion I don't really care to have.

There's no question what Castro did is evil. My question is, do people think what Sylvia Brown did was evil?