Windows 8: Three Reasons to Hate

From what I'm hearing, this is the OS that might kill the PC. Obviously for professional purposes the PC will live on but for pure consumers, it's already irrelevant.

I have a 5 year-old PC running Vista and I have no real desire to upgrade. My phone can do most of what's needed and my out of date PC can handle the rest, granted slower.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IOW - you still need a PC - you just don't need to upgrade as often.

I guess. I'll need a new phone every 2 or 3 years to keep up with the fast pace of technological advances but I don't see myself needing a new PC for awhile.

Same with Video game consoles. There haven't been new state-of-the-art consoles since 2006. New ones will be unveiled this year but I predict sales will be slow.

Also there are these Chromebooks that are laptops basically running a tablet OS. They also cost much less than top-of-the-line tablets.

All your stuff will be stored in the 'cloud' and in all cases, cloud based storage is not secure. You no longer have control over your stuff. That is the trend.

That is the trend. The new Chromebooks don't have a huge a Hard Drive but give you lots of free Google Drive space.

When you consider what your smartphone tracks about you, if you're one of those tin foil hat people that thinks the government is out to get you, you'd never get one.

It always knows where you are, Google Now tracks your web usage and suggests things you might like. My Google Now asks me if a certain place I've spent a lot of time at is important to me or not. So it knows if I'm at the Gym or at Work.

Big Brother indeed.

Edited by Boges

That is the trend. The new Chromebooks don't have a huge a Hard Drive but give you lots of free Google Drive space.

When you consider what your smartphone tracks about you, if you're one of those tin foil hat people that thinks the government is out to get you, you'd never get one.

It's not tin foil hat though, it actually IS happening. Kind of like how the news media is getting pissed now that they have found out they were targeted with the IRS info. Other groups were targeted as well for simply having something like 'patriot' in the organizations name. The media did not give much of a crap when it was only happening to the average person about what and how data is collected, but not it's on their door step they are getting pissed. And rightly so.

This goes higher than the IRS. ...but I will save that for another thread.

It always knows where you are, Google Now tracks your web usage and suggests things you might like. My Google Now asks me if a certain place I've spent a lot of time at is important to me or not. So it knows if I'm at the Gym or at Work.

Big Brother indeed.

Your data is their commodity.

Boges, on 16 May 2013 - 2:01 PM, said:

I always find it amusing yet creepy that when you're e-mail about an issue or discussing something on Facebook suddenly you see ads relating to what you're talking about show up.

Several ways this happens.

- IP address. Any site you visit logs your IP address and can do a lookup on your IP to check what country you are in, and even what city you are in. The IP can reveal a lot about someone. Ways around that include using a proxy and something like the TOR browser. The IP is the main one used to determine your location.

- Login ID to the site. I am super happy that this place is not inundated with ads like other sites, and one of the main reasons I keep coming back to it.

For Google Mail, it searches your email and can give you ads bases on the title of the email or content.

------

As a kind of aside here, there was a nice little story from the UK and an ISP switching email providers. They switched from Yahoo to Google (or other way around) and as soon as the switch was made, all the deleted email showed back up in clients emails. So, don't kid yourself. When you delete an email, (using Google, Yahoo, Hotmail ect) it does not actually delete it. And with each email, they know that much more about you.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/04/08/131231/british-isp-bombards-users-with-deleted-emails

Again all your data is their commodity.

• 3 weeks later...

I\m still dealing with this OS, and the problems it poses. (I work with Europeans, in various languages.)

Windows 8? Abroad?

Utter f*uck up. Tiresome. If you are involved with networks, refuse anything to do with Windows 8 if you can.

Edited by August1991

• 1 month later...

I'm still having this problem. You can google it. The Microsoft forum offers convoluted solutions (that don't work), and the problem seems to have started in Windows 7 but is now more pronounced in Windows 8.

When I lose my Internet connection, I see terms such as "Default Gateway" or "Wifi Adapter". The Windows troubleshooter usually fixes the problem - but not always.

----

It's as if you went to McDonald's, ordered a Big Mac, and they served you a hamburger without meat. So, the waiter says: "Sorry. Please wait. I'll bring you a correct Big Mac." WTF? To make matters worse, sometimes the waiter doesn't return. And to make matters even more worse, you're standing in a "new design" McDonald's restaurant.

If I go to McDonald's, I want a hamburger with meat. The restaurant colour scheme/layout is extra. As they say, I think Microsoft management is missing its core mission.

PS. While making this post, I lost my Internet connection.

Edited by August1991

Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot from the Windows Phones to Windows 8 to their tablet to Office 365 subscription plans to the XBOX One. It has been one bad decision after another for the last couple years and every time their response has been akin to "f*** you and like it!" to the consumers.

I'm still having this problem. You can google it. The Microsoft forum offers convoluted solutions (that don't work), and the problem seems to have started in Windows 7 but is now more pronounced in Windows 8.

When I lose my Internet connection, I see terms such as "Default Gateway" or "Wifi Adapter". The Windows troubleshooter usually fixes the problem - but not always.

While I dislike Windows 8 as much as most PC users that have been around since its early times, network/internet issues/malfunctions have plagued all versions of windows, and I believe have gotten less frequent and prevalent in more recent versions. Back in the days of windows 95 it used to be a daily battle just to keep the internet connection running properly.

Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot from the Windows Phones to Windows 8 to their tablet to Office 365 subscription plans to the XBOX One. It has been one bad decision after another for the last couple years and every time their response has been akin to "f*** you and like it!" to the consumers.

Well microsoft is gonna pretty quickly find over the next few years that it's gonna get outcompeted and beaten in the phone and tablet market and hopefully realize that what it needs to do is get back to and keep secure its core business: PCs. Which, despite all the media hype about their imminent demise, are still used in almost every workplace, and are essential and irreplaceable by touch interfaces for people that actually produce any kind of content, rather than just staring at their screens.

Check for viruses or something like that. Something could be trying to flood your connection. Usually when I get problems like that I need to reboot my modem and router and PC and that fixes the issue. So the problem might not be with Win8.

And connection problems have not plagues MS Operating systems. In many cases it is another program/virus/spyware causing the issue or your ISP is having network troubles. Modem might be end of life and need replacing.

Edited by GostHacked

Its trendy to hate microsoft.

Also trendy to hate Apple.

Windows 8 appears to be attempting to move consumers over to a more mobile/tablet type of computing. It might seem like a failure at this point but it shows some forward thinking because PC sales are dwindling and they have to find a way to compete in the very competitive mobile market.

This is an opportunity for Google because their mobile OS is excellent (best in the business, if you ask me). They've released some low cost Google-run laptop recently but they don't do much differently than a tablet.

You may end up seeing Full-Service Laptops running an Android engine in the near future. I'd be all for that.

Someone has to make a reasonably priced tablet/laptop that actually works well and they'll make some serious money.

Edited by Boges

• 7 months later...

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 installed. A friend indicated that I should do the 'free 8.1 upgrade'.

I had such trouble with the Windows 8 install, that I decided to go for Windows 8.1. Eventually, I learned that 8.1 is indeed not free. It's free to 'upgrade' but not activate. Which is kind of like saying that car in the showroom is free unless you want to drive it.

I'm on my second restore of Windows 8 and it's still not installed. A nightmare.

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 8 installed. A friend indicated that I should do the 'free 8.1 upgrade'.

I had such trouble with the Windows 8 install, that I decided to go for Windows 8.1. Eventually, I learned that 8.1 is indeed not free. It's free to 'upgrade' but not activate. Which is kind of like saying that car in the showroom is free unless you want to drive it.

I'm on my second restore of Windows 8 and it's still not installed. A nightmare.

??? I did the 8.1 upgrade... free. Are you running a 'legit' oem copy of Win8?