Windows 8: Three Reasons to Hate

I feel it is going the way of Apple with locked down OS's and the ability to handle programs. Win 7 will be Microsoft's last best operating system.

I agree. In fact, I wanted to upgrade my audio editing and sequencing machine from a tower to laptop about a year ago and ended up pulling the pin on a new computer a few months early because I wanted win7 os. It was challenging enough moving to 64 bit architecture, didn't need the added headache of win8 on top of it.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. In fact, I wanted to upgrade my audio editing and sequencing machine from a tower to laptop about a year ago and ended up pulling the pin on a new computer a few months early because I wanted win7 os. It was challenging enough moving to 64 bit architecture, didn't need the added headache of win8 on top of it.

You can still buy OEM Win 7 with a hard drive. That is what i did when I built my last PC a couple months ago.

You can still buy OEM Win 7 with a hard drive. That is what i did when I built my last PC a couple months ago.

True, I likely would have done this if I was going to build but I bought off the shelf. I figured it would make more sense to buy a laptop installed with win 7 than to pay for a pre-installed win 8 and then have to pay again to a downgrade.

• 1 month later...

I've always wondered why people buy Tablets that just run mobile OS's where you can't do actual computing. It's basically a large phone that can't make calls.

So I picked up a Hybrid Tablet. Runs full Windows 8.1 comes with a detachable keyboard/hard drive.

But the Tablet software is kaka!

I can't seem to get any of the Apps or Metro Apps as I've discovered they're called to launch, they say they can't connect to the network. Plenty of troubleshooting solutions I still have to go through. It might have something to do with permissions on the Laptop side of the puter.

If it doesn't work I'll wipe out all the Apps and replace them with shortcuts to chrome bookmarks (Windows 8 version of Chrome if flipping amazing) or I might try and load an Android emulator.

Edited by Boges

It looks to me like Microsoft is heading in the same direction as Blackberry has gone until recently.

They failed to keep up with the direction of personal computing, and are now vomiting out poorly conceived and executed projects in a downward corporrate spiral.

Management has failed in their primary task: strategy.

If I had shares, I'd sell them now.

Alright so I figured out the problems I was having with the "Metro Apps". You really need a Windows Live Account to utilize these Windows Apps. But anyone who's used the internet for more than 15 years has a Hotmail Account. Mine goes back to the late 90's.

The "New" look of Windows 8 really only works well with a Touch Screen. It's meant for that. You want to do intensive file management or download really computer programs and not just Apps, you need to be familiar with how traditional Windows works.

If you don't like the Metro Apps they can all be uninstalled and you can think of the Tile set up as a place to put shortcuts of often used websites and/or programs.

The one pain is the Start Button takes you back to the Tile look (There's gotta be a way to change that), you have to Right Click to get to the traditional functions the Start Button used to control. The option of making shortcuts for Program Files, Control Panels etc is always there.

I really think MS made Windows like this to fight the iPad (sup Master Obvious). Now that many PCs have Touchscreen capability this OS is very functional. Also Hybrid Laptops are becoming available at a similar Price point as the iPad. So a full computer that acts as a tablet with a better price point should be preferable. Who cares about App selection if you have access to every Windows capable programs.

I doubt the tightwads in Cupertino will ever develop an iPad that runs full OSX. If they did, I'd imagine it'd cost like $2,000. Android has made fully functioning Chromebooks but they cost north of $1,000. The low priced Chromebooks are glorified tablets that only have 16 gbs of HD space.

Mobile computing is on the rise, traditional desktop computing is still needed but for the vast majority of consumers, an easy to use, yet very customizable device is preferable.

I'll also say that if you do choose to utilize the Metro Apps, they are laid out beautifully. Better than anything I've seen on iOS or Android. Bing News kind of looks like a newspaper.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Edited by Boges

Alright so I figured out the problems I was having with the "Metro Apps". You really need a Windows Live Account to utilize these Windows Apps. But anyone who's used the internet for more than 15 years has a Hotmail Account. Mine goes back to the late 90's.

That is something I won't touch. It's bad enough every game I play needs a sign in these days, I am not doing that for an OS just so I can do things. This windows live thing is enough to keep me away from Win8.

It's forcing you to a online digital ID scenario.

That is something I won't touch. It's bad enough every game I play needs a sign in these days, I am not doing that for an OS just so I can do things. This windows live thing is enough to keep me away from Win8.

It's forcing you to a online digital ID scenario.

You can't use anything Android related without a Google Account and iOS/iTunes requires an Apple ID.

You can still sign on as a Local user using Windows 8, but I've found that the Metro Apps don't work.

You can't use anything Android related without a Google Account and iOS/iTunes requires an Apple ID.

You can still sign on as a Local user using Windows 8, but I've found that the Metro Apps don't work.

And that is why I chose not to use most things that requires me to login. I have an HTC Android, and I only need it to make calls and for some texting. And I would never buy an iPhone because of the Apple ID.

But the OS should not be restricted in any way for an end user. If I need to sign in online in order to manage certain things on my device, then what control over the device do I really have?

Edited by GostHacked

And that is why I chose not to use most things that requires me to login. I have an HTC Android, and I only need it to make calls and for some texting. And I would never buy an iPhone because of the Apple ID.

But the OS should not be restricted in any way for an end user. If I need to sign in online in order to manage certain things on my device, then what control over the device do I really have?

That HTC must be really old because the first thing I had to do when first turning on my Android phone was to login to my Google Account.

All Metro App is web related, so it's not surprising you need an e-mail login. How do expect to use a App Store or a News Aggregator without some trackable connection to the internet? Bing Maps wants to be able to track you like Google Maps does, The Weather wants to be able to give you weather depending on where you are. You can always use the browser web version of the service, but for the App you'll need a login.

Having to log in using an e-mail is so ingrained in how the internet is used nowadays, especially since so much data is being pushed up into the cloud.

That HTC must be really old because the first thing I had to do when first turning on my Android phone was to login to my Google Account.

That may be if you have a data plan, which I do not. Never needed to login to my google account just to use my phone. And never should you NEED to log in.

All Metro App is web related, so it's not surprising you need an e-mail login. How do expect to use a App Store or a News Aggregator without some trackable connection to the internet? Bing Maps wants to be able to track you like Google Maps does, The Weather wants to be able to give you weather depending on where you are. You can always use the browser web version of the service, but for the App you'll need a login.

Having to log in using an e-mail is so ingrained in how the internet is used nowadays, especially since so much data is being pushed up into the cloud.

Thing is we have become attached and addicted to the little devices.

And if you check your weather on a PC, you do not even need to login to anything. The weather website looks up your IP and can tell where you are and give you weather for your local area. That can be done on a phone without you needing to login. It already knows where you are via tracking through cell tower handshaking.

That may be if you have a data plan, which I do not. Never needed to login to my google account just to use my phone. And never should you NEED to log in.

I guess it has to do with the Sim Card, Dunno. Using a Google Account makes the Android experience great.

And if you check your weather on a PC, you do not even need to login to anything. The weather website looks up your IP and can tell where you are and give you weather for your local area. That can be done on a phone without you needing to login. It already knows where you are via tracking through cell tower handshaking.

Sure but not with the App. Have a Shortcut to the Weather Network I guess.

I'll be honest, this is the way computing is going, people younger than me are totally onboard. I'm uneasy with stuff like Twitter, Instagram but if I just need to put in an e-mail to use great immersive computing, it's not an issue with me.

Most of the complaints with Windows 8 are centred around their dual approach and the focus on Tablet like applications. I don't read a lot of people complaining about having to have a LIVE account.

I guess it has to do with the Sim Card, Dunno. Using a Google Account makes the Android experience great.

It's not dependent on the sim card either. Unless they have a deal with Rogers. Not sure I can get away with that using an iPhone.

I'll be honest, this is the way computing is going, people younger than me are totally onboard. I'm uneasy with stuff like Twitter, Instagram but if I just need to put in an e-mail to use great immersive computing, it's not an issue with me.

Things like Twitter and Instagram are just useless frilly stuff. Narcissistic self absorption.

Most of the complaints with Windows 8 are centred around their dual approach and the focus on Tablet like applications. I don't read a lot of people complaining about having to have a LIVE account.

Most are used to it and will do it without question. Chalk that up to the marketing of the application, OS or device.

It's also about security. You have to have login-ins for everything these days, I'm pretty on-board with Online billing, but I have usernames and passwords that come with all these bills that accompany with it. I can't set my Hydro bill's password so everytime I have to check the bill I have to have my password e-mailed back to me.

There are many so many apps that require logins now-a-days that you're usually allowed to just sign-in using a Facebook account.

It comes to light when you have something like this Heartbleed bug. They tell you to change all your passwords and I have to think about how many passwords I actually use.

It's also about security.

Perceived security. And with that perceived privacy.

You have to have login-ins for everything these days, I'm pretty on-board with Online billing, but I have usernames and passwords that come with all these bills that accompany with it. I can't set my Hydro bill's password so everytime I have to check the bill I have to have my password e-mailed back to me.

IF you have your email password sent to you via email, that is terrible security.

There are many so many apps that require logins now-a-days that you're usually allowed to just sign-in using a Facebook account.

I never had and will never get a facebook account. Their policies and how they have handled privacy blunders is more than enough to make me stay away from it. I do not trust Facebook.

It comes to light when you have something like this Heartbleed bug. They tell you to change all your passwords and I have to think about how many passwords I actually use.

Until the servers are patched, it would be useless to change your password as the exploit still exists. But then all I need to do is hack one account and get access to all your other stuff. Digital ID theft.

Edited by GostHacked

Usually e-mail's require alternate e-mails. Microsoft actually has a security feature where they ask you for your phone number and text you a code to verify you're account. For those that are worried about security, that's pretty secure.

This is thread drift though because all platforms of computing are moving this way, not just MS and Windows.

It looks to me like Microsoft is heading in the same direction as Blackberry has gone until recently.

I wondered about that too but most of Microsoft's revenues now come from the business side. Microsoft software is the backbone of ATMs.

Bill Gates recently said that in the 1990s, Microsoft had money to experiment like Google is doing now. IOW, Microsoft is no longer a player; it has become IBM. But it's no Blackberry, yet.

-----

Reading through recent posts to this thread, I was struck by another idea. Indeed, it was one point in my OP.

Counting mechanisms are old (about 70,000 years ago), but they must have concerned what I have, and what I am giving: the terms of trade. (This must be so because the counting systems had no zero.)

I'm convinced that the first writing and numbers were invented (about 5000 years ago) to record: "who owes what to whom".

Money dates from the origins of writing. Surely someone realized, about 5000 years ago, that it's better to use an anonymous stick/jeton, transferable to others, to indicate what you owe and must pay.

It is the anonymous nature of money that makes it so attractive.

If Google, Microsoft, Apple or the various cellphone providers want to make money based on recording what clients do, I think that they are making a serious mistake.

Markets with prices are anonymous. Such a relationship is not a marriage.

Edited by August1991

Does anyone, who has a hate-on for W8 tried the 8.1 update OR the Update to 8.1 which should be called 8.2.

Now the "Metro" Apps can be pinned to the task bar and programs can actually be closed with an X button. The mouse/keyboard functionality is much better.

Does anyone, who has a hate-on for W8 tried the 8.1 update OR the Update to 8.1 which should be called 8.2.

Now the "Metro" Apps can be pinned to the task bar and programs can actually be closed with an X button. The mouse/keyboard functionality is much better.

So they are slowly moving the OS back to something many recognize. OMG, start button and now an X button to close things?

So they are slowly moving the OS back to something many recognize. OMG, start button and now an X button to close things?

I think they have to concede even though many new PCs have touchscreen capability (And W8 is perfect for a touchscreen), many still don't and just want to use it the old-school way.

When using a mouse, in the tile mode, if you use the track ball on you can scan through the horizontal setup of the apps.

You can't expect people to transition to a WIN8 and not get lost. Start button? X to close? We've been using the start button since 95, and using the X to close things since 3.1 Taking that functionality away is not revolutionary. It's frustrating. And they eventually put it back.

Equate it to driving your car with a steering wheel then swapping the steering wheel out with ... nothing.