Woman Sues Because of a Bad Grade

Boges

God Help Western Civilization where we have a generation where students sue because they feel entitled to good grades.

EASTON, PA.— Pennsylvania graduate student Megan Thode wasn’t happy about the C-plus she received for her internship, saying the mediocre grade kept her from getting her desired degree and becoming a licensed therapist.

Thode is suing her professor and Lehigh University in Bethlehem, demanding that her grade be changed. She’s also seeking monetary damages.

A judge is hearing testimony on the case this week in Northampton County Court.

The Express-Times of Easton reports (http://bit.ly/VUdwAU) that her professor, Amanda Eckhart, stands by the grade. She says Thode earned zero out of 25 points in class participation.

Lehigh attorney Neil Hamburg says it would be unprecedented for the judge to order that her grade be changed.

Thode contends the C-plus cost her $1.3 million. She says that’s the economic value of a master’s degree in counseling psychology.

Well Miss Thode, You've just ensured you'll never achieve gainful employment with this stunt. GOOD JOB!!!!

Edited by Boges

Here's some key information that wasn't in your original post:

Her timely appeal of the grade was pushed back months and the College of Education never provided her with an advocate, according to court testimony. Her attorney, Richard Orloski, argues Eckhardt targeted her as punishment because Thode is an outspoken advocate for gay marriage, a stance Eckhardt does not believe in.

Here's some key information that wasn't in your original post:
You left out more key information:
Eckhardt insisted the grade was warranted, however. Megan Thode had outbursts in class in which she asked for aspirin for a headache and recalled how someone once called another professor a pompous ass. Thode was not participating in the therapy course appropriately, Eckhardt said, and Eckhardt even provided her a letter advising her on steps she needed to take.

Instead of taking positive steps and addressing the matters she brought up, Thode became emotionally unstable when confronted, Eckhardt said. Thode said she needed to speak with her father and possibly seek legal counsel.

"I need to get a lawyer," Eckhardt said, quoting Megan Thode.

Eckhardt also dismissed the claims of discrimination over Thode's opinions on gay marriage. While she believes marriage should be between a man and a woman, Eckhardt testified she would not allow her personal stance to cloud her professional judgement. Eckhardt also said her sister is gay and would be her matron of honor at her wedding if asked.

So you have a student who was formally warned about issues with her performance but ignored them. It is also appears that the claim of discrimination is without merit. Edited by TimG

I'm sure she has ample evidence the professor failed her because of her views on homosexuality.
Why would you assume that? Everything I have read about this student suggest that she is a loon that takes no responsibility for her own actions. Edited by TimG

I'm sure she has ample evidence the professor failed her because of her views on homosexuality.

Perhaps she does.... you have no clue what the evidence is or is not.

I'd be more surprised to hear that a professor in a University could hold down a job being vocally against Gay Rights.

Professors come in all varieties... some are even religious nutbar bigots! The pinko commie nature of universities is entirely a fabrication of the right-wing.

Edited by The_Squid

Perhaps she does.... you have no clue what the evidence is or is not.

Nor do you. All we have is her assertion that he grade was related to her activism. Does that mean we can't form an opinion of the absurdity of taking a school to court over a grade?

The Universities lawyer is correct, a court overturning a student's grade is a horrible precedent to set.

I'm pretty sure the professor would have a track record of similar treatment, of other students, for the University to be able to determine if that's the teacher's MO. I heard on the radio, but can't verify with a MSM article that the professor has a close gay relative.

Edited by Boges

The Universities lawyer is correct, a court overturning a student's grade is a horrible precedent to set.

I'm pretty sure the professor would have a track record of similar treatment, of other students, for the University to be able to determine if that's the teacher's MO. I heard on the radio, but can't verify with a MSM article that the professor has a close gay relative.

If one could demonstrate that she was in fact targetted as she thinks she was, then a court would be dumb not to overturn the grade.

The simple truth is the school itself should pretty much know by now if that is true or not.

Professors come in all varieties... some are even religious nutbar bigots! The pinko commie nature of universities is entirely a fabrication of the right-wing.

So do students come in many varieties. Some think they can beat bad grades by sexing up a false claim into a harassment case.

If one could demonstrate that she was in fact targetted as she thinks she was, then a court would be dumb not to overturn the grade.
No. The court should allow the student to repeat the course with a different instructor. The courts are in no position to judge what grade she would have gotten with an "unbiased" professor.
The simple truth is the school itself should pretty much know by now if that is true or not.

And the school is letting this go to court which suggests that they believe there is no case.

No. The court should allow the student to repeat the course with a different instructor. The courts are in no position to judge what grade she would have gotten with an "unbiased" professor.

Fair enough, I did not mean to suggest the court should decide the mark, but overturn it meaning she has to go back and try again.

And the school is letting this go to court which suggests that they believe there is no case.

Sounds probable

No sorry,the lawyer is incorrect!

Students pay money for the service of receiving an education!

This is no different than any other case where services where payed for and may/may not have been delivered!

No institution or person is above the law or imune from litigation!

What you are suggesting is absolutely rediculous and has no merit.

Keep in mind that I am in no way suggesting she has or has not a legitamite case.

WWWTT

No sorry,the lawyer is incorrect!

Students pay money for the service of receiving an education!

This is no different than any other case where services where payed for and may/may not have been delivered!

WWWTT

She received an education. She didn't like their evaluation of her. Do you sue the credit rating company when you have bad credit when they give you an evaluation you don't like?

She received an education. She didn't like their evaluation of her. Do you sue the credit rating company when you have bad credit when they give you an evaluation you don't like?

If you have bad credit,then maybe you will not be able to afford to even file the proper legal procedures in court.

So I would say that this would be unlikely.

Keep in mind that those institutions are fully aware that their actions will not be questioned in a court because the ones that they are blackballing can not afford such procedures.

Does not mean that they have legal merit because they are not constantly challenged in court.

The government here does the same thing over and over again!

WWWTT

The premise of the suit is the problem. Even if she was discriminated against and that could be proven, there's no way she would be entitled to the estimated life time earnings she might receive in that field. Now if she was disabled perhaps she could go for a figure like that because it would be impossible to recoup those funds. If she were to have won the case, she'd be a millionaire with a lifetime of potential earnings still ahead of her in another field.

At maximum she could ask for her tuition back. Which, might I add is zero because her father works a the University.

The premise of the suit is the problem. Even if she was discriminated against and that could be proven, there's no way she would be entitled to the estimated life time earnings she might receive in that field. Now if she was disabled perhaps she could go for a figure like that because it would be impossible to recoup those funds. If she were to have won the case, she'd be a millionaire with a lifetime of potential earnings still ahead of her in another field.

At maximum she could ask for her tuition back. Which, might I add is zero because her father works a the University.

Good point that probably led to the judge's dismisall.

WWWTT

What the hell are you talking about? You care to bring that abstract rambling back to the topic of a student suing because they got a bad mark, due to their complete lack of effort, despite being told ahead of time that they are failing?

Hey man,I'm not aware of all the details.

All I am stating is that no institution is above the law,that simple.

WWWTT