Best place to be born.

You wouldn't be laughing at a HRC circus hearing if you tried to use of the "N-word" while others routinely do.

I wouldnt use that word.

The tea party movement used it , they sent tea bags to Lib Dems in Washington , ergo, people can call them tea baggers as an apt name.

It is funny that they and others might be a wee but upset. They used it, now its become their nom de plume.

I suppose they could blame themselves and do some flogging of their own bodies.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
Unfortunately for this line of thinking to work means the right didnt use it as a derogatory term. but they did.

It got turned back on them as everyone else cottoned on.

Kind of "How dare you use a term like that, only we can ! "

Gotta laugh

Actually, it's not "them" objecting to the use - it's me. I'm speaking for myself here, and as I pointed out, I'm as much a Tea Party supporter as you are. I find Obama's use of the term inappropriate for his position. As I said, I would like to see the term eliminated politically - on both sides.

Actually, it's not "them" objecting to the use - it's me

I understand you dont like the term, and thats fine, but plenty of tea party members dont like it either after they labled themselves the same and then only figured out how bad it was to be

labled with it.

. I'm speaking for myself here, and as I pointed out, I'm as much a Tea Party supporter as you are. I find Obama's use of the term inappropriate for his position. As I said, I would like to see the term eliminated politically - on both sides.

It would improve discourse I grant you that. However both sides revel in names for each other and for one side to back down would be folly.

Plenty of Conservatives and Liberals use derogatory names for each other.

Certain institutions have been labled with names that are not even truthful and no one seems to want to clean that up around here.

I do think in time, and not long, that the phrase will melt into history since the tea party is about as dead as you can get.

Edited by guyser

I wouldnt use that word.

The tea party movement used it , they sent tea bags to Lib Dems in Washington , ergo, people can call them tea baggers as an apt name.

Precisely, in the same way that the other affected group routinely uses the "N-word" when you won't. The psychology and politically correct tactic is straightforward.

Guest American Woman
I understand you dont like the term, and thats fine, but plenty of tea party members dont like it either after they labled themselves the same and then only figured out how bad it was to be labled with it.

I honestly think a lot of them didn't know what it meant when they first started using it. Not everyone does, especially the elderly. And no, I don't care for the term, yet I had nothing to say about it until I found out that Obama had used it - which is inappropriate for the POTUS. I give him the benefit of the doubt, believing he used the term out of ignorance, but I do take issue with his lack of apology/explanation.

It would improve discourse I grant you that. However both sides revel in names for each other and for one side to back down would be folly.

Yes, I realize that both sides do it (and I'm critical of both sides for it), but when the POTUS does it, it becomes a different matter. Again, I don't support the Tea Party and I voted for Obama - but I'm going to call it the way it is. It's totally inappropriate for the POTUS to use the term - and he should have owned up to that.

Plenty of Conservatives and Liberals use derogatory names for each other.

Certain institutions have been labled with names that are not even truthful and no one seems to want to clean that up around here.

Really? What does "no one want to clean up around here?" Perhaps I'm missing something.....

I do think in time, and not long, that the phrase will melt into history since the tea party is about as dead as you can get.

Time will tell, of course - but in the meantime, I stand by my criticism.

Precisely, in the same way that the other affected group routinely uses the "N-word" when you won't. The psychology and politically correct tactic is straightforward.

Agreed.

• 2 weeks later...

The Boston Tea Party was a major event in the American history. Surely there must be a lot of protests within the US that a poltical movement has hijacked the term "tea-party" to suit its agenda which by no means is agreed on by a very large proportion of the American people?

Edited by -TSS-

Guest American Woman

The Boston Tea Party was a major event in the American history. Surely there must be a lot of protests within the US that a poltical movement has hijacked the term "tea-party" to suit its agenda which by no means is agreed on by a very large proportion of the American people?

I've never heard anyone object to the name. I think most simply see it as symbolic of an objection to the present government, whether they agree with the party or not (I don't); so it's more about an acceptance of the right to object than the agenda.

Not the first time. Things like the Minuteman Project come to mind.