Best place to be born.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norway does not belong to the EU, they have oil and even if the oil runs out today their reserve-funds would secure them a comfortable lifestyle for the next 200 years. Having said that they have been lucky to have politicians who have resisted demands by people that those funds should be squandered here and now for the benefit of the people who live today.

Norway does not belong to the EU, they have oil and even if the oil runs out today their reserve-funds would secure them a comfortable lifestyle for the next 200 years. Having said that they have been lucky to have politicians who have resisted demands by people that those funds should be squandered here and now for the benefit of the people who live today.

And those people demanding they squander the money have elected the politicians - wonder how that works.

Yes, Norway has it figured out. High taxes but a strong welfare state with high incomes and very little poverty. People aren't all about chasing the buck. And of course the other Scandinavian states are right up there too, without oil, they too have a winning formula. Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland are ranked by the World Bank as being in the top 10 countries to do business, yet they have high taxes and as strong social safety net.

The term "Teabagger" is a sexual slur that is quite ironic when used by liberals, as it conveys a disdain and disapproval for sexual behaviour. President Obama got in on the act back in a 2009 interview:

"set the tenor for the whole year ... That helped to create the tea-baggers and empowered that whole wing of the Republican Party to where it now controls the agenda for the Republicans."

Even though the slur can apply to any sexual orientation, it can also be perceived as pointedly anti-gay male as well. Staying on-topic, the U.S. is one of the best places to be born for "teabagging".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest American Woman

I was surprised as well....I think some people use the term not realizing exactly what the slur refers to.

I agree, and I'm guessing that was the case with Obama, but he should have come out and acknowledged that that's what happened, and apologized. That he didn't do that is what I really take issue with.

I agree, and I'm guessing that was the case with Obama, but he should have come out and acknowledged that that's what happened, and apologized. That he didn't do that is what I really take issue with.

Yes, and Press Sec'y Robert Gibbs was subsequently challenged on that very point. Realizing it was a lose-lose situation, he just dismissed the quote and book as not being read or familiar to him.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/robert-gibbs-wont-touch-tea-bagger-quote-with-a-ten-foot-pole/

Guest American Woman

When I read your initial post, my reaction was that most likely it was said in ignorance - so I tried to see if I could find any instances of him apologizing for it. This is the best I could find:

spokesman
responded Wednesday evening by saying he had no reason to dispute the accuracy of the quote in Alterman's book, adding that the term was not meant to be derogatory in any way.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/05/new-book-quotes-obama-describing-tea-partiers-tea-baggers/#ixzz2KWlByp5V

To me that reads as an acknowledgement that he did say it, along with an explanation that it wasn't meant to be derogatory, but the fact that it's coming from a White House spokesman rather than Obama himself is what I am critical of; it's not very admirable on Obama's part, IMO.

Since it appears that tea baggers conscripted the phrase themselves prior to the President using it in a somewhat perjorative manner, whats the hullabaloo about again?

Tea party demonstrators had signs ...'Tea bag the Liberal Dems in Washington before they tea bag you" and others.

Its pretty funny , not to mention the simple fact that they picked a word such as that without anyone thinking it through.

Ya gotta laugh.

Guest American Woman

laugh.png oh pleeese! Stop your fake outrage!!!

How about you stop claiming that I what *I* feel is "fake?"

Teabaggers was a term that originated within the Tea Party itself... many within the party referred to themselves by the name... they sold paraphernalia with the label prominently displayed!

I would certainly appreciate evidence of said paraphernalia.

Edited to add: I did manage to find a "teabagger and proud of it" bumper sticker. At any rate, I see that some in the party did use the term - but not in the derogatory way it's been used by opponents - and I say that as a strong opponent of the party myself. I feel that the use of the term by the POTUS is definitely inappropriate, and I stand by that. I think it's inappropriate in its context in most instances, just as I think the word "nigger" can have different connotations depending on who's saying it - and why. Quite frankly, I think it's a term that should disappear from the political scene - on both sides.

Edited by American Woman

Well, any group that can have a slogan of "keep your government hands off my medicare" is obviously not composed of the brightest bulbs in the American chandelier. But then the whole thing looks pretty dim these days.

...and yet, the American "chendelier" has always shined brighter than Canada's.

20090513145113673_3.jpg

Edited by bush_cheney2004

[/size]

Edited to add: I did manage to find a "teabagger and proud of it" bumper sticker. At any rate, I see that some in the party did use the term - but not in the derogatory way it's been used by opponents -

Unfortunately for this line of thinking to work means the right didnt use it as a derogatory term. but they did.

It got turned back on them as everyone else cottoned on.

Kind of "How dare you use a term like that, only we can ! "

Gotta laugh

Guest American Woman

you're welcome!

So you think that sign is an example of "sold paraphernalia with the label prominently displayed?" rolleyes.gif

I already acknowledged, as quoted in your response, that I did find bumper stickers using the term, so your pin wasn't really necessary. And I did address it. Nothing to say about that, eh?

So you think that sign is an example of "sold paraphernalia with the label prominently displayed?" rolleyes.gif
dunno... are you certain the "Teabagging 4 Jesus" sign wasn't a commercially sold product? laugh.png
Nothing to say about that, eh?
what's to say? Apparently, you can interpret... read into... the use and intent behind the label 'Teabagger'. To you, it certainly couldn't mean a member of the Tea Party! No, it absolutely has to be a derogatory pejorative, rather than a simple identifier.

here, have another:

tea_bag_button.jpg