Ignatieff Now At Harvard: The True Federal Liberals

No sorry, not taxpayer funds.

They used those $2 subsideis on other things. The bus tour was paid by , as you say, the Liberal Party.

Where does the Liberal Party get it's money from? Taxpayers maybe?

Ignatief can stay south of the 49th, he said he would quit the Liberal party if he lost the nomination, and now he goes back to the US. We don't need people like that running our country.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does the Liberal Party get it's money from? Taxpayers maybe?

Among other sources, yes, but 'taxpayer money' is generally used to refer to government expenditures that are made directly.

We had, I recall, somebody using the term 'taxpayer money' to refer to what civil servants spent their salaries on. In that case, taxpayer money starts to mean "all money".

You guys are worried about who/how spending taxpayers money with the Harper gang doing a great job on that. BTW, do taxpayers have to pay for a trip by the PM to talk to American Conservatives, when the topics are going to be small government, national defense and American tradition? What exactly would that have to do with Canada?

So in retrospect - were the "Just Visiting" commercials really "attack ads"? As JBG said - a proof is a proof.

I was quoting a statement made by a truly great leader of a great democracy.

All kidding aside I was closing out a trial at the end of July 2003. I was going to close by saying "to paraphrase a very great leader of a very great democracy, 'a proof is a proof' and Plaintiff has proven nothing." Because I couldn't keep a straight face I did not use that closing argument.

Why would he turn down a position at what is widely considered one the best institutions in the world?

Because it's in a foreign country with different traditions, culture and language.

You ever hunt for a job in academia?
Jacques Parizeau, Pierre Trudeau, René Lévesque all remained in Quebec - Montreal, to be specific. Even Brian Mulroney retired to Westmount, and Ogilvy Renault.

I'm no nationalist but I'm a democrat. If you want to represent people, you must surely want to live among them.

----

Unlike Michael Ignatieff, Marc Garneau and Justin Trudeau will likely stay in Canada. Unfortunately, the federal Liberal Party now has a reputation of choosing a leader who is "just visiting". Michael Ignatieff has damaged the brand name.

Edited by August1991

yeah cause most Canadian Academics wouldnt take a post at Harvard????

Last I understood he lectures at both UofT and Harvard.

It doesn't make them unCanadian it makes them not an idiot.

I bet he woulnd't have taken it if he were the PM of Canada.

Canada is not a prison... you are an idiot if you arn't going to advance your own carear when you work in the private sector. Such an idiotic postion in the OP.

Edited by shortlived

Canada is not a prison... you are an idiot if you arn't going to advance your own carear when you work in the private sector. Such an idiotic postion in the OP.

That's not the point. The LPC, including Ignatieff, has made anti-Americanism an opportunistic sport. Except when it's convenient for them.

Do you think so, though? I think the brand is the candidate and that nobody remembers the last guy.
Once upon a time, Pearson, King, Laurier made a brand name. But maybe you're right, MH.
Indeed, maybe you forgot the last last guy yourself, as you didn't even mention that the previous Liberal leader was a French citizen.
Indeed. Curiously, in a recent conversation with a (sovereignist) colleague, I defended Dion - sort of. Laurent Fabius, Winston Churchill and John Diefenbaker did not leave parliament despite defeats. Neither did Dion. (I have to add that his father was more interesting.)

I admire a politician who remains a simple member of the representative assembly. I suspect that more than a federalist, Stéphane Dion is a true democrat.

Edited by August1991

Nobody ever claimed that Canada is a prison.

But if someone wants to represent a people, the least the people can expect is that the person, potential leader, will stand beside them through thick and thin. I'm no populist but surely, this person wants to live among them. I can understand the occasional holiday abroad but any leader should want to be among the lead. Otherwise, you're not a democratic leader.

Call this a necessary but insufficient condition for good, democratic leadership: Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini rarely travelled abroad. Canada has suffered too many governors who merely passed through a residence.

Edited by August1991

Nobody ever claimed that Canada is a prison.

But if someone wants to represent a people, the least the people can expect is that the person, potential leader, will stand beside them through thick and thin. I'm no populist but surely, this person wants to live among them. I can understand the occasional holiday abroad but any leader should want to be among the lead. Otherwise, you're not a democratic leader.

Call this a necessary but insufficient condition for good, democratic leadership: Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini rarely travelled abroad. Canada has suffered too many governors who merely passed through a residence.

Your position is out of touch. Ignatieff was called on by the Party to play a role. He did not seek the position as leader initially. He was asked to come back to Canada and help the party. He gave an effort, his people you know the Toronto of his youth did not reelect him.

You can't expect someone to keep going into the commons once they no longer have a seat there.

He wasn't a carear politician regardless. He was a journalist and academic. What don't you get about that?

Canadians don't stop being Canadians once they leave the dotted line Canada has opted to call Canada.

I would never spend Winter in Canada unless I wanted to take up skiing and other winter sports. Fact is I hate winter. That fact does not make me unCanadian, it makes me have personal preferences. I'd gladdly leave Canada over each and every winter. I'd gladly stay in the tropics over subarctic Canada.

That fact does not make me unCanadian it makes me have personal preference.

Tell all the snow birds they arn't Canadian cause they spend their winters in Florida.

Fact is weather in Canada SUCKS!!! More in some parts than others.

You are trying to brand Canada when a brand doesn't exist.

Canada is a dynamic state, Canadian citizenship was fabricated sometime after WWII... fact is he was and is Canadian, get over your Canadians are like X or like Y.. he is Canadian, in a free society Canada is suppose to be totalitarian ultra nationalists trying to make people the way you want them does not belong. GTFO of here.

I'd rather have a global person run the country than an idiot who only knows what is good for oil.

Edited by shortlived

Your position is out of touch. Ignatieff was called on by the Party to play a role. He did not seek the position as leader initially. He was asked to come back to Canada and help the party. He gave an effort, his people you know the Toronto of his youth did not reelect him.

You can't expect someone to keep going into the commons once they no longer have a seat there.

He wasn't a carear politician regardless. He was a journalist and academic. What don't you get about that?

Canadians don't stop being Canadians once they leave the dotted line Canada has opted to call Canada.

I would never spend Winter in Canada unless I wanted to take up skiing and other winter sports. Fact is I hate winter. That fact does not make me unCanadian, it makes me have personal preferences. I'd gladdly leave Canada over each and every winter. I'd gladly stay in the tropics over subarctic Canada.

That fact does not make me unCanadian it makes me have personal preference.

Tell all the snow birds they arn't Canadian cause they spend their winters in Florida.

Fact is weather in Canada SUCKS!!! More in some parts than others.

You are trying to brand Canada when a brand doesn't exist.

Canada is a dynamic state, Canadian citizenship was fabricated sometime after WWII... fact is he was and is Canadian, get over your Canadians are like X or like Y.. he is Canadian, in a free society Canada is suppose to be totalitarian ultra nationalists trying to make people the way you want them does not belong. GTFO of here.

I'd rather have a global person run the country than an idiot who only knows what is good for oil.

If I understand your argument clearly, you would rather let the UN (or a worldwide lottery) decide Canada's federal PM rather than have Stephen Harper.

You are entitled to your opinion about Stephen Harper. But surely Canada, French and English, is more than what you pretend.

If I understand your argument clearly, you would rather let the UN (or a worldwide lottery) decide Canada's federal PM rather than have Stephen Harper.

You are entitled to your opinion about Stephen Harper. But surely Canada, French and English, is more than what you pretend.

That isn't my argument but I wouldn't disagree with this completely. 1st off I think it is the Queen that should pick the PM (or indirectly though the Governor General). Likewise that person picked should have parliaments support. Individuals who do not support the choice of PM should state the reasons why they would not be suitable to manage the ministries.

I think that the UN choosing the PM would actually advantage Canada somewhat, but they would need to be a professional who actually did the job.

The commons shouldn't be in the ministires they should be tending to their ridings. They are better suited for a decade of committee work before another decade of senate committee work before they are even considered to be PM. Too many politicians and too little beaurocrats. That is why it is always so partisan and corrupt, it is just about me me me, instead of the whole.

Its not like the cheif of defence just wins their position, or the privy council seal holder just walks into their job after a successful interview. It is absurd to expect a PM to just walk into the highest political office in the country. -- one that republicans are making more and more of an executive post (which it shouldn't be) No way do I just want to hand over total executive powers to the person who can fool the most people.

Jean Chretien was a much different animal than Stephen Harper, he served for like 30 years in various ministerial roles before becoming PM. He didn't just go from opposition leader to PM like Stephen Harper. He won his seat in 1963 and became PM in 1991 or so. Harper won his in 1993??? was it, and 10 years later without ever being in a ministry became PM??? With no background in law? Other than what 2 years of a non majority opposition? Then you wonder why parliament is just shut down, and omnibus "budget bills" that attach all the other laws for the term are put through without debate.

It is unnatural.

Stephen Harper was like 4 years old when Chretien went into parliament.

1993-1997 2002-2006? That is 8 years in Parliament before becoming PM, two elections?

Edited by shortlived

I think it is the Queen that should pick the PM (or indirectly though the Governor General). Likewise that person picked should have parliaments support.

Um... That's exactly how it is now.

I think that the UN choosing the PM would actually advantage Canada somewhat,

Well, yes; who needs that pesky democracy thing, really?

• 1 year later...

Michael Ignatieff, former LPC party leader and convenient Canadian, has made it official: it's back to Harvard University in the United States for him after one of the worst defeats in Canadian political history. This was telegraphed in an unreleased campaign ad. Should Mr. Ignatieff stay in Canada to help his party, or was it always expected that he would don his oft use American cloaking device and head "south of the border" if he didn't become Prime Minister of Canada ?

CAMBRIDGE MA -- Author, scholar, journalist, former politician and Professor of Practice Michael Ignatieff has been named to the Edward R. Murrow Chair of Press, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard Kennedy School (HKS). His full-time appointment begins July 1, and he will serve as a faculty affiliate at the School's Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/news-events/news/press-releases/michael-ignatieff-named-to-murrow-chair

conservative-party-ad-michael-ignatieff.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/missing-michael-ignatieff-a-tory-tweet-might-reveal-more-than-intended-1.2687341

Edited by Charles Anthony
OP merged into previous thread of same topic