Why does Alberta always vote conservative?

tommg6

We grow up learning our belief system from our parents and our peers so generally speaking, conservative people have conservative children and so on.

I met a creationist my first year in Uni and when she asked me if I believed in evolution I didn't even know what she meant. Then when she brought up creationsim I thought she's kidding until the conversation went further and I realised she's nuts. Oops, I mean she's serious.

However, thinking about it later I realised her parents taught her those things just as mine taught me evolution. She'll end up teaching her kids that evolution is a farce too.

And that how regional politics come to be. You learn your values from your peers and your parents.

Why? and will they always vote conservative? Have they always voted conservative?

a lot of them do because they're stupid, bible thumping, xenophobes or all three combined...

and others do because selfish they may be socially progressive but don't want anything to threaten their jobs/income...

We grow up learning our belief system from our parents and our peers so generally speaking, conservative people have conservative children and so on.

I met a creationist my first year in Uni and when she asked me if I believed in evolution I didn't even know what she meant. Then when she brought up creationsim I thought she's kidding until the conversation went further and I realised she's nuts. Oops, I mean she's serious.

However, thinking about it later I realised her parents taught her those things just as mine taught me evolution. She'll end up teaching her kids that evolution is a farce too.

And that how regional politics come to be. You learn your values from your peers and your parents.

well there is that, but each generation becomes more liberal than the one that came before...atheists are growing as a percentage of the population so they must be coming from families who practice religion of some sort...education is the enemy of religious belief...

well there is that, but each generation becomes more liberal than the one that came before...atheists are growing as a percentage of the population so they must be coming from families who practice religion of some sort...education is the enemy of religious belief...

Agreed, each generation becomes more liberal.

You would think that conservatism would die off within a few generations but fiscal conservatism is on the rise so things are shifting.

Why does BC always vote the way they do?

Social Credit, Liberal(conservative) and NDP governments. I think the point of the OP is that they vote for a single party always. Different from other provinces.

Agreed, each generation becomes more liberal.

You would think that conservatism would die off within a few generations but fiscal conservatism is on the rise so things are shifting.

but many of today's conservatives would've been labeled commies 50 years ago...so it's relative to the era....

fiscal conservatism is more economics than politics, Saskatchewan ndp were fiscal conservatives but socially progressive...

Why? and will they always vote conservative? Have they always voted conservative?

They have not always voted conservative. The last time Alberta rewarded more seats for anyone but the conservatives was the social credit in the 16th,18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd (June 10, 1957) Canadian parliament.

Progressive Party took more seats than the Conservatives in the 14th parliament (December 6th, 1920).

The last time the Liberals took more seats in Alberta than any other party was in 1940 during the 19th Canadian parliament. Prior to that, the Liberals dominated Alberta during the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th parliament.

They have not always voted conservative. The last time Alberta rewarded more seats for anyone but the conservatives was the social credit in the 16th,18th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd (June 10, 1957) Canadian parliament.

Progressive Party took more seats than the Conservatives in the 14th parliament (December 6th, 1920).

The last time the Liberals took more seats in Alberta than any other party was in 1940 during the 19th Canadian parliament. Prior to that, the Liberals dominated Alberta during the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th parliament.

are you saying the socreds weren't conservative?...that's a bit like saying Chev and Pontiac and Oldsmobile aren't GM products...same shitte just a different colour

alberta conservatives...

rob anders CPC- nelson mandela is a terroristrolleyes.gif

daniel smith WR party- the science of climate change isn't settledlaugh.png

alan hunsperger WR party- gays will perish in a burning lake of fireph34r.png

ron leech WR- Caucasians are bettercool.png

and my comments are offensive?...

and my comments are offensive?...

Not at all. They're just factually incorrect. We can all base opinions of groups of people on stereotypes. Which is exactly what you did. Hopefully I can one day become enlightened, progressive, and as tolerant as you are laugh.png .

Conservatives believe that people should do for themselves. Left wingers believe that someone else should do for them. Different mindsets.

Ok, think about what you said. You want people to do for themselves and there's nothing wrong with that except, with the way corporations have made working in Canada and the US very hard to find a job. The US has about 40 million and Canada has 1.4 mil and with the Conservatives making it harder on social programs how can these people help themselves. Most of the unemployed do want to work but certain circumstances beyond their control make it harder or doesn't permit them from finding work.