Stupid log-in logic

Argus

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it silly that you can hit 'reply' to a topic, type a half page of text, and only after trying to post do you get a "sooorrrryyy" warning that you're not properly logged in.

Unlike other such sites, though, you can't simply log in and then post. Once you log in you're taken to the front of the forums, and have to navigate your way back to that particular topic and that particular post and then hit reply and redo your text. Would it not make sense to advise us we aren't logged in the moment we hit 'reply' instead of 'post', and then leave us where we are?

Why not just stay logged in ? I stay logged in and go to 'New Content' to see if I have replies on the threads I am following.

The only downside is that if somebody doesn't reply to my post I lose the thread. This used to happen with Wild Bill if I remember correctly.

Because my computer wipes all data when I exit my browser, including the cookies which accumulate like copulating rabbits.

Because my computer wipes all data when I exit my browser, including the cookies which accumulate like copulating rabbits.

With that you will have to log in every time. The cookie is there to keep your settings next time you visit any site. I understand that people delete the cookies and such for privacy reasons, but with that said, there is no reason to complain about staying logged in if you are always deleting the cookies.

What browser you using? Firefox allows exit and return to site?

Uh? After thought bothersome..isn't stupid and logic in the same sentence an oxymoron?wacko.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by Peeves

Say Argus - I did a quick lookup and it seems that Internet Explorer 6 allows you to specify sites from which to accept a cookie. And that`s an old browser. I advise you to allow MLW site to store cookies on your computer but you will have to look it up yourself.

I'm using Firefox. It specifies sites you can refuse a cookie, but aside from that it's take em all or not. And you pretty much have to accept most cookies to use most sites. But that's secondary to my complaint. I understand I can try not to delete the cookie. But it still makes more sense to notify you when you try to reply, not when you try to post.

• Forum Admin

There you'll just have to log in each time. There is absolutely nothing we or the makers of this forum software (outside of a Flash Local Shared Object, but then that's just a cookie in a different name) can do to help with this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Admin

Ok, I now see what you are all saying.

If you're not actually looked in, you can still type your post, but they it says:

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

Let me look into this issue more.

However, directly below the Sorry, you don't... notice, it should have:

"Post Data Saved!"

And you should be able to copy and paste the posting once you are properly logged in.

Guest American Woman

For the record, I also used Google Chrome for my "test," and it didn't save the post data. I waited quite awhile for the 'save data' to kick in, and it never did. Perhaps there's a certain number of words involved before it will save?