Prime Minister Harper confirms ‘no’ vote on Palestine at UN

Despite Canada and a handful of other countries' stance, the vote will go through because an overwhelming majority of the world will vote yes. It's mostly a symbolic vote but it's also quite a historic vote.

France will be voting "yes" on Palestine statehood. Other European countries who will vote "yes" are Spain, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland and Austria.

The U.K. had said they'd vote yes on the condition that Palestine does not file anti-Israeli cases at the International Criminal Court. Palestinians have said: "We will not give up any rights which the status gives us. We are equal people to those others who have this status, including the right to go to the ICC,". So it looks like the U.K. will abstain.

The pro-Israeli prime minister of Australia was set to vote "no", but her party pressured her not to. Looks like they will be abstaining.

More on this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/28/palestine-date-un-vote-abbas-analysis

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi hudson, a no vote is a mistake for Canada, and does not represent the Canadian publics view.

Israel has committed war crimes and should be held accountable just like the US and Canada.

Its disgusting NATO is an organization that supports war crimes and human rights abuses such as Israel commits.

One can't expect peace when the standards existing violate human rights.

Edited by login

Guest Derek L

It represents mine.

Ditto.............I just ask myself, if I had to choose between living in a Jewish state or a Muslim theocracy, which one would allow me (and my family) to live closer to the same standard (and personal freedom) of living as I do now……….Pretty simple choice……….Anyone choosing an Islamic State, is either Muslim, haven’t actually been to one or is daft..........Hence I side with Israel.

Ditto.............I just ask myself, if I had to choose between living in a Jewish state or a Muslim theocracy, which one would allow me (and my family) to live closer to the same standard (and personal freedom) of living as I do now……….Pretty simple choice……….Anyone choosing an Islamic State, is either Muslim, haven’t actually been to one or is daft..........Hence I side with Israel.

No one's voting to abolish the state of Israel though. This is a totally false choice.

Amazing to see people like SmallC coming out against a two state solution.

The permanent occupation and statelessness of 4 million people is the plan then?

Its too bad because its a chance for Canada to play a part in some kind of solution, instead of voting to maintain the status quo. I guess Canada likes Arabs and Jews killing each other.

Edited by dre

No one's voting to abolish the state of Israel though. This is a totally false choice.

Good luck explaining that one.

How about you ask yourself would you rather be a Palestinian living in Jewish control Palestine or one controlled by your own people instead? You knw the actual choice instead of making up an alternate universe where your framing some how applies. Seriously you have do take a class on critical thinking or something because your reasoning is seriously flawed.

Theres an Islamic state anyways with 4 million people in it. How are Canadas interest enhanced by keeping these people stateless, and denying their right to self determination?

Guest Derek L

It’s a mater of perspective I suppose, in that (as mentioned in the article) Palestinian membership will have the exact opposite effect (as hoped by many) when it comes to future peace talks and/or negotiations on settlements…………..All this will do is further entrench Israel and those that support her (As I do for my reasons highlighted) and the cycle will go on and on………rinse and repeat.

Guest Derek L

It's not a choice between Israel or Palestine.

It's a step towards accepting that Palestinians also deserve a state.

Like I said above, it’s a mater of perspective……..Some don’t feel Palestine deserves a state yet.

Guest Derek L

Good luck explaining that one.

How about you ask yourself would you rather be a Palestinian living in Jewish control Palestine or one controlled by your own people instead? You knw the actual choice instead of making up an alternate universe where your framing some how applies. Seriously you have do take a class on critical thinking or something because your reasoning is seriously flawed.

You’re the one in an alternative universe………I’m neither Jewish or Palestinian, and as I said, the choice would be for myself and family, as is today (Not imagining being something I’m not) and where I would choose to live, Israel or an Islamic state. Get with the program.

Guest Derek L

Theres an Islamic state anyways with 4 million people in it. How are Canadas interest enhanced by keeping these people stateless, and denying their right to self determination?

Your point? I’m speaking to Israel versus an Islamic State, be it Palestine/Gaza/West Bank or any other one……….As to Canada’s interests, I’ll ask the inverse, how will our interests in the region be strengthened by statehood?

Simply put, all this will do is further destabilize the region.