Atheism Explained

cybercoma

I posted this in another thread, but this is such a great explanation of atheism that I think it needs its own thread. There are so many misconceptions and false information about the nature of atheism. This video does a wonderful job of explaining it well and addressing many of the problems, such as "otherwise reputable dictionaries" even getting it wrong.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good video.

I do wonder if the narrator would show similar skepticism towards other scientific theories that explain the origin of the Universe. I, myself, find the idea of String Theory to be a crazy unsupportable theory with little in the way of concrete evidence to support it. Or at least any I've heard.

Also just like atheism itself can't be soley identified by those who militantly reject all religious ideas as dangerous. Theists shouldn't be thought of as blindly supporting unsupportable facts just cuz.

I liked the part where he defines agnostics. I think more people are agnostics than anyone realizes.

I do wonder if the narrator would show similar skepticism towards other scientific theories that explain the origin of the Universe.

Don't you think the narrator would believe what the scientific consensus is pointing to? I never saw the Big Bang occur... I didn't produce my own experiments to validate it... but scientific experts have. And this has gone from a hypothesis to a theory with evidence behind it.

Theists shouldn't be thought of as blindly supporting unsupportable facts just cuz.

Isn't that the definition of a theist? Belief in the supernatural just cuz (faith!)? Some people believe because that's how they were raised... or they converted for a potential spouse.... or their spouse makes them go.... or a myriad of other "reasons", mostly being an accident of birth. But none of them have any evidence of facts or first-hand knowledge that the rest of us do not have.

Edited by The_Squid

I think the anti God people are more fanatical then people who believe in God. Did you know that in many Islamic countries just saying that God doesn't exist is punishable by death(beheading)?

Strange how many people attack Christianity but refrain from attacking Islam, I wonder why that is....hrm....

The point is really about the definitions of atheism and agnosticism, there is nothing to comprehend.

yes some are dishonest and refuse to listen because they don't like the answer..

but there are many IMO who just don't comprehend, if they could they wouldn't be believers.... they don't have that tiny part of a brain that makes others inquisitive and ask questions and not accept vague answers based on nothing but faith...

I think the anti God people are more fanatical then people who believe in God. Did you know that in many Islamic countries just saying that God doesn't exist is punishable by death(beheading)?

Strange how many people attack Christianity but refrain from attacking Islam, I wonder why that is....hrm....

blink.png double face palm!

anti god-people are fanatical because religious people behead themlaugh.png ...oh mycool.png

blink.png double face palm!

anti god-people are fanatical because religious people behead themlaugh.png ...oh mycool.png

And that's why the anti-God people attack Christianity but not Islam...

This is classic Mr. Canada.... errr... Merrrlin.

We need to keep this in context here fellas. We have to keep an eye on the Islamic countries and those countries who are soft on Islamic countries. They have death penalties for crimes that aren't very severe. This is the level of fanaticism that isn't welcome in Canada.

We need to keep this in context here fellas. We have to keep an eye on the Islamic countries and those countries who are soft on Islamic countries. They have death penalties for crimes that aren't very severe. This is the level of fanaticism that isn't welcome in Canada.

Go find one of the dozens of threads on Islamism if you want to talk about this crap. That's not what this thread is about.

really, fanaticism isn't welcome in canada? oh the irony!....

in the past I've been told by christians to move to russia for being an athiest, I know should be pleased they didn't cut off my head...cool.png