Israel and Hamas Agree to a Ceasefire

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

It's official. Now all we can do is sit back and see what it brings.

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-hamas-agree-gaza-cease-fire-181335147.html

Egypt is to play a key role in maintaining peace.

According to a copy of the agreement obtained by The Associated Press, Israel and all Palestinian militant groups agreed to halt "all hostilities." For the Palestinians, that means an end to Israeli airstrikes and assassinations of wanted militants. For Israel, it brings a halt to rocket fire and attempts at cross-border incursions from Gaza.

After a 24-hour cooling off period, it calls for "opening the crossings and facilitating the movement of people and transfer of goods, and refraining from restricting residents free movement."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the other combatants. Hamas blessed the bombing of an Israeli bus today, but did not claim responsibility.

If Hamas can't rein in Islamic Jihad or the Al Aqsa Brigade, how can the Israelis be expected to respect a ceasefire?

Guest American Woman
The problem is the other combatants. Hamas blessed the bombing of an Israeli bus today, but did not claim responsibility.

If Hamas can't rein in Islamic Jihad or the Al Aqsa Brigade, how can the Israelis be expected to respect a ceasefire?

It is difficult to have much hope for the cease fire as it comes after such news - the deliberate bombing of civilians - which Hamas does not condemn. I can't imagine Hamas having control over the jihadists, and I'm not sure I believe that they want to have control. As long as they have someone doing what I believe they would like to be doing themselves, they've got the best of both worlds - Israel bound to a cease fire and the appearance that Hamas is abiding by it.

So you feel the Jews should be told to leave the West Bank? All of them?

Israel should withdraw to 67 borders. If the Palestinians continue aggression after that I have no problem with Israel attacking Palestine. But to take land means there will never be peace. You've got to leave the Palestinians something, or they have nothing to lose.

Israel should withdraw to 67 borders. If the Palestinians continue aggression after that I have no problem with Israel attacking Palestine. But to take land means there will never be peace. You've got to leave the Palestinians something, or they have nothing to lose.

So you're saying that the Jews should be cleaned-out of the WB rather than made citizens of a future state. OK...that's fine, I suppose.

So you're saying that the Jews should be cleaned-out of the WB rather than made citizens of a future state. OK...that's fine, I suppose.

In your scenario, then Israel would have to give right to return to the Palestinians. That's fine I suppose. Personally I don't see that working, nor saying much for the future of Israel as a Jewish state. Doubt the settlers would be keen to live in the Islamic paradise the Palestinians would likely create either.

In your scenario, then Israel would have to give right to return to the Palestinians. That's fine I suppose. Personally I don't see that working, nor saying much for the future of Israel as a Jewish state. Doubt the settlers would be keen to live in the Islamic paradise the Palestinians would likely create either.

Arabs that didn't flee as per their leader's request in 1948 got to be Israeli citizens. No right of return involved. Seems like you support ethnic cleansing but wish to remain PC on the terminology. Am I wrong?

Arabs that didn't flee as per their leader's request in 1948 got to be Israeli citizens. No right of return involved. Seems like you support ethnic cleansing but wish to remain PC on the terminology. Am I wrong?

If the settlers have a claim to the Palestinian land they took by force or threat of force, then all the displaced Palestinians have right of return to Israel. Not a good solution in my eyes for either side.

If the settlers have a claim to the Palestinian land they took by force or threat of force, then all the displaced Palestinians have right of return to Israel. Not a good solution in my eyes for either side.

The WB was never part of a country called Palestine. Jordan took the place in 1948 and then lost it in 1967. Similar with Gaza that was part of Egypt once the smoke of the 48 war cleared. No 'land claims' made at all.

So, no country for the Palestinians? Would they all be ethnically cleansed or allowed to stay in greater Israel? The latter would be a ticking time bomb that would eventually destroy the Jewish state. Creating a Palestinian state seems like the only hope there is for peace in the region.

Edited by Canuckistani

So, no country for the Palestinians? Would they all be ethnically cleansed or allowed to stay in greater Israel? The latter would be a ticking time bomb that would eventually destroy the Jewish state. Creating a Palestinian state seems like the only hope there is for peace in the region.

It's called Jordan.

Trouble is that the Mufti's old clan feels that they are the keepers of al-Aqsa and want no part of the Hashemite kingdom....unless it is to take the place by force.

I think Hudson Jones will not be happy until Israel no longer exists. His posts are appalling and antisemitic, I don't know why they are allowed to continue here. I have shown these posts to some of my Jewish friends and they were disgusted and though this was a anti Israel, anti Jewish sympathizer thread!

I beg of you all to not bash Israel and the Jewish people. The Jews have suffered enough throughout history, lets not let them suffer any more. War is a terrible thing and no one really wins. I support peace.