Justin Trudeau Would Take Liberals to a Majority

Then you just need to read up on how our government works. Basically instead of reading and discussing legislation, on a case by case basis, hundreds or even thousands of new laws are bundled into huge omnibus acts, that are then passed without anyone reading them all. Sure... a few of hot ticket items might get talked about, the vast majority of the legislation within an act does even get read by MPs never mind discussed. And in some cases even the drafting of the bills themselves it outsourced to lobbiests, etc.

We're not talking about whether or not a Page gets a new uniform, we're talking about Harper's "Hidden Agenda". Do you think the opposition would allow something of that nature to get past them in parliament?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know what their values are, do you attend that church? How do you know anything about what Harper's religious beliefs are because he never discusses it. Anything said in that regard is pure speculation.

the church has a website it's policies aren't secret...harper is a member of the alliance church(nutters) if he doesn't support it's agenda he shouldn't remain a member... Edited by wyly

So Justin Trudeau Would Take Liberals to a Majority is now, Harper's hidden agenda...

After his the broo ha ha over his anti Alberta remarks do you think he'll still win the leadership.

you're getting to excited over a silly poll 3 yrs before an election, it's meaningless....

trudeau's comments will have little if any effect on his leadership bid...no more than harper's firewall alberta letter...

the church has a website it's policies aren't secret...harper is a member of the alliance church(nutters) if he doesn't support it's agenda he shouldn't remain a member...

Here's a take on how his beliefs shape gov't policy: http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2012/03/26/Harper-Evangelical-Mission/

Harper would have a tremendous fight - perhaps an impossible one - to overturn that legislation.

Plus he's consistantly run on the promise that he would not attempt to open debate to try and change any legislation regarding gay marriage or abortion. It's novel to see a leader keep a promise, but I guess it does happen.

Edited by Spiderfish

It's almost blasphemous to think that Canadians would have a discussion that could possibly result in Abortion Regulation like every other western civilization has, isn't it? Why aren't these pro-choice zeolots denouncing the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Germany and others for their patronizing laws - for taking away a woman's right to choose, for demeaning women? Where is there outrage? Sshhh.....we don't want people to know what's going on outside our borders.

There's no immediate reason to open the discussion - our de-facto self-regulating system seems to be working - but there's no sense being ignoratnt to reality - and this is where I have a problem with the media - who ALL ignore the opportunity to educate the public in how ALL other Western nations have dealt with the issue - how it was raised, debated, a consensus developed, how it was legislated, and how it is now accepted (or not). Isn't knowledge what it's all about?

Edited by Keepitsimple

Here's a take on how his beliefs shape gov't policy: http://thetyee.ca/Op...elical-Mission/

The Tyee is about the most hard left anti Harper blog around.

However, there are many people who attend church but don't believe or subscribe to all it's dogma, Catholics are an example. How many Catholics including our previous Prime Ministers should not be attending the RC Church according to your lights... Just more fear mongering which hasn't and isn't coming to pass.

Canada is the only country with no abortion laws at all but fortunately our doctors have ethics and know where to draw the line.

It's almost blasphemous to think that Canadians would have a discussion that could possibly result in Abortion Regulation like every other western civilization has, isn't it?

No, it's not. If the gov't introduced legislation on abortion that still keeps choice for women but simply regulates the medical practice, I wouldn't think that there would be outrage. But I don't think that the Conservatives would do this because their base doesn't want legislation to regulate abortion.... their base wants to ban abortion.

Why aren't these pro-choice zeolots denouncing the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Germany and others for their patronizing laws - for taking away a woman's right to choose, for demeaning women?

Because they don't live there? Or, perhaps if there was legislation modeled on something in Europe, there wouldn't be this "outrage" that you're discussing? I think the concern comes from the fact that this particular Conservative Party comes from roots that include social conservatism.

Plus he's consistantly run on the promise that he would not attempt to open debate to try and change any legislation regarding gay marriage or abortion. It's novel to see a leader keep a promise, but I guess it does happen.

but he's broken others...this one he keeps because he's done politcially as are the cpc if he dares change anything...so he's saving his own neck he's not being trustworthy keeping a promise...

edit, i missed a word

Edited by wyly

but he's broken others...this one he keeps because he's done politcially as are the cpc if he dares change anything...so he's saving his own neck not being trustworthy keeping a promise...

What ones? What ones has he broken?

What?? This makes no sense. Keeping a promise generally makes a person more trustworthy, not less.

you're right I didn't reread before I posted and omitted a key word...I fixed it...

harper isn't keeping his promise because he's trustworthy it's because he doesn't dare/can't touch those issues it's political suicide....

when it came to keeping his promise on Income trust he reversed his position in record time...

then there was

"We don't think as a party that patronage has any place in the Parliament of Canada.

"We don't support any Senate appointments."

laugh.png and we all know how that turned out...

he lies and breaks promises when it suits him whenever he thinks he can get away with it...

harper isn't keeping his promise because he's trustworthy it's because he doesn't dare/can't touch those issues it's political suicide....

I don't see how setting policy that represents the majority of canadians rather than governing on pure idealism is a bad thing. Every leader is going to push political issues that represent their parties ideals where they can get away with it, this is not a concept unique to the conservatives. but only a fool would abandon the general will of the people who have given them their mandate in favor of pushing their idealism carelessly. Harper is no fool.

I don't see how setting policy that represents the majority of canadians rather than governing on pure idealism is a bad thing. Every leader is going to push political issues that represent their parties ideals where they can get away with it, this is not a concept unique to the conservatives. but only a fool would abandon the general will of the people who have given them their mandate in favor of pushing their idealism carelessly. Harper is no fool.

sure but don't credit him for keeping promises, he's shown by past actions promises mean nothing to him...

sure but don't credit him for keeping promises, he's shown by past actions promises mean nothing to him...

Wow, a politician that hasn't kept every promise he has made, I can hardly imagine such an atrocity.

His track record for keeping promises is pretty impressve when compared to almost every other leader Canada has had in recent history.

Wow, a politician that hasn't kept every promise he has made, I can hardly imagine such an atrocity.

His track record for keeping promises is pretty impressve when compared to almost every other leader Canada has had in recent history.

Hear hear.

you're just selective in tuning out the lies/flip flops/broken promises....first it's he hasn't broken any promises, then it's all politicians do it, then he's not as bad as the others....what it boils down to is he lies, he isn't trustworthy...

you're just selective in tuning out the lies/flip flops/broken promises....first it's he hasn't broken any promises, then it's all politicians do it, then he's not as bad as the others....what it boils down to is he lies, he isn't trustworthy...

I trust him.

Do you believe any politician in Canada right now is trustworthy?

I trust him.

Do you believe any politician in Canada right now is trustworthy?

that's irrelevant I don't go around making claims of any leaders trustworthyness....I certianly don't say "hear, hear" to statements claiming my leader is less dishonest than othersrolleyes.gif wow as if that's something to be proud of...

my leader is less a of a crook than your leader...hear hear!

that's irrelevant I don't go around making claims of any leaders trustworthyness....I certianly don't say "hear, hear" to statements claiming my leader is less dishonest than othersrolleyes.gif wow as if that's something to be proud of...

So Harper's okay with you then? They're all crooks, might as well keep the one we've got. Save us an election.

you're just selective in tuning out the lies/flip flops/broken promises....first it's he hasn't broken any promises, then it's all politicians do it, then he's not as bad as the others

Where did I say he hasn't broken any promises?? We all break promises sometimes. A political mandate, like life is not static. we make a plan, but sometimes that plan has to be changed to reflect new circumstances.

laugh.png hey someone who murders one person isn't as bad as someone who murders two and bcsapper says hear hearrolleyes.gif ...a murderer is still a murderer a liar is still a liar regardless the number...once someone has lied to me my trust is forever gone...

I missed the whole murder thing. I know I've been busy lately, but you'd think I'd notice something like that.

Quick question: Do you think all those American politicians who signed Grover Norquist's "Will not raise taxes " pledge should stick to their guns when Obama comes calling for some cooperation, even though they know that, given the circumstances they face today, it would be disastrous for their country if they were to do so.

Like Spiderfish said, circumstances change.