teenager accused in T.O sexual assault spree

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say that? We don't have any details, but from the description of the events, I think he was coming up to women on the street and groping them and running off.

In my mind, someone who goes on a sexual assault spree and terrorize the community would be an adult. Hard for me to imagine a kid doing this to adults and scaring them into...well terror.

Is race/culture only a factor in crime when that person is not-white? What about all the white guys who commit sexual assaults: what's their excuse?

I'm not sure there is a "white" culture as you put it. There is a traditional Canadian culture that dates back hundreds of years which includes many races.

If this person is a newcomer to Canada or his parents are it's possible that doing this is no big deal in their culture/country. That is why it may be relevant to the discussion.

Which will lead to why we are letting people into Canada who aren't familiar with our customs and laws. We don't kill, main or hit our women and we value all women in our society as equal to a man. People cannot be touched by anyone without permission. This is fundamental.

Edited by Mr.Canada

I'm not sure there is a "white" culture as you put it. There is a traditional Canadian culture that dates back hundreds of years which includes many races.

If this person is a newcomer to Canada or his parents are it's possible that doing this is no big deal in their culture/country. That is why it may be relevant to the discussion.

You need to prove that it is. Sexual assaults are common across racial and cultural lines.

Which will lead to why we are letting people into Canada who aren't familiar with our customs and laws. We don't kill, main or hit our women and we value all women in our society as equal to a man. People cannot be touched by anyone without permission. This is fundamental.

So why is sexual assault a problem across racial lines? Could it be that maybe the values you claim are so fundamental are not held equally by everyone who was raised in that culture. Why is that?

Guest Derek L

According to the stats you offer in the same post--regarding the place of most assaults, and the identity of most assaulters--it doesn't appear that would make a dent in the problem.

I'm failing to connect the dots........Care to expand on that?

Guest Derek L

Well, that 80% of the assaults occur in the victims' homes, and moreso that the same number are perpetrated by friends and family.

Couldn’t that also conjure up the attacker “invading” the home? I can appreciate what you’re saying, in that a unspecified percent of the attacks within a home could be instituted by a person the victim knows, but the stats tend not to be clear on that.

Couldn’t that also conjure up the attacker “invading” the home? I can appreciate what you’re saying, in that a unspecified percent of the attacks within a home could be instituted by a person the victim knows, but the stats tend not to be clear on that.

But the stats you offered were clear on that--80% friends and family--though I can't vouch for the accuracy.

However, I will say that in (adult) sexual assaults, as with child molestation, "stranger danger" is an overblown phenomenon, and tends to cloud the uglier reality.

Edited by bleeding heart

Guest Derek L

But the stats you offered were clear on that--80% friends and family--though I can't vouch for the accuracy.

However, I will say that in (adult) sexual assaults, as with child molestation, "stranger danger" is an overblown phenoenon, and tends to cloud the uglier reality.

That would make sense, as internal instances of sexual abuse among family members would tend to be more “private” in that they are not reported in the media to the same extent as incidents involving the Catholic Church or the collage down in the States for example.

None the less, in the cases involving “stranger danger”, no mater how minute the percent of reported cases, what would be wrong with allowing potential victims to be armed and better allow a possible defence?

None the less, in the cases involving “stranger danger”, no mater how minute the percent of reported cases, what would be wrong with allowing potential victims to be armed and better allow a possible defence?

Well, when it comes to pepper spray, I agree completely. I suspect the bans on this are a mater of authoritarian overreach by the powers-that-be.

Tasers is a slightly different matter. I'd prefer firearms, to be honest...I think they'd be safer, though some people might find that counterintuitive. The way I see it, we can't even trust our police with tasers....because society simply remains wilfully uneducated about how dangerous they can be. (Also, tasers didn't replace the use of clubs, as was the theory; their use far exceeds the use of clubs.)

Firearms, on the other hand, are much more well understood in terms of consequences of use.

Guest Derek L

Well, when it comes to pepper spray, I agree completely. I suspect the bans on this are a mater of authoritarian overreach by the powers-that-be.

Tasers is a slightly different matter. I'd prefer firearms, to be honest...I think they'd be safer, though some people might find that counterintuitive. The way I see it, we can't even trust our police with tasers....because society simply remains wilfully uneducated about how dangerous they can be. (Also, tasers didn't replace the use of clubs, as was the theory; their use far exceeds the use of clubs.)

Firearms, on the other hand, are much more well understood in terms of consequences of use.

Now I’ll try and find the study that I was reading that demonstrated that in CCW States instances of rape declined, even if a small percentage of women actually carry…………The deterrence factor and all.

Again, I’d question if the 1 in 4 stat is true in Canada proper, but at the end of the day, I have two sisters, a wife and daughter (plus a host of other women in my family as most do) and would find comfort in knowing that they had the legal ability to confront such a would be assailant, if heaven forbid, they were ever put in such a situation.

As the old saying goes: “God may have created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal”………And in this case, when generally speaking, a man will have a natural physical advantage over most women, why not allow women an equalizing (Or better put, a neutralizing) advantage.

Now I’ll try and find the study that I was reading that demonstrated that in CCW States instances of rape declined, even if a small percentage of women actually carry…………The deterrence factor and all.

Again, I’d question if the 1 in 4 stat is true in Canada proper, but at the end of the day, I have two sisters, a wife and daughter (plus a host of other women in my family as most do) and would find comfort in knowing that they had the legal ability to confront such a would be assailant, if heaven forbid, they were ever put in such a situation.

As the old saying goes: “God may have created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal”………And in this case, when generally speaking, a man will have a natural physical advantage over most women, why not allow women an equalizing (Or better put, a neutralizing) advantage.

And like I said (or didn't, explicitly, though I thought it clear) I agree with you. I'm for it.

I only opined that i prefer citizens with firearms...in which they can mostly be trusted...rather than with tasers...because people are monumentally stupid with tasers, in the way they aren't with other weapons.

Edited by bleeding heart

Guest Derek L

And like I said (or didn't, explicitly, though I thought it clear) I agree with you. I'm for it.

I only opined that i prefer citizens with firearms...in which they can mostly be trusted...rather than with tasers...because people are monumentally stupid with tasers, in the way they aren't with other weapons.

That’s a good point………along the same lines that many opine that Hockey players use to receive less head injuries when they didn’t wear helmets……….And from the same study (I believe) the overwhelming majority of instances when a CCW holder was confronted a drew their weapon, said assailant buggered off.

Does this young person come from a culture that says it's ok to hurt women? This is a huge topic that needs to be discussed. If his parents are teaching him that it's ok to hurt women then they need to also be arrested since they are responsible for him until he is 18. Where are the parents in all of this?