Republican National Convention 2012 coverage

No, you started out defending them, you know, major players and all. Nice backtrack though. :)

Anyways, I'm done with your pious baloney.

Actually he was not defending it, but you can keep on thinking that. And he exposed your ridiculousness even more so just with that alone.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80362.html?hp=t1_3

To me, these things don't seem to add up

Several political figures close to Mitt Romney made acerbic comments to reporters, making clear they thought Christie laid an egg while also saying they didn’t much care since Ann Romney was generally perceived as performing well. Several made eye-rolling references to what they regard as signs of the New Jersey governor’s considerable ego: The number of self-references in his address and an entourage of aides who they believe is too obviously trying to promote Christie fever for the future rather than help Republicans in 2012.

Sources close to Christie noted that Mitt Romney’s team saw the speech text about two weeks ago and barely changed a word, and thus had no standing to second-guess now.

Christie addressed this choice Wednesday at breakfast for New Hampshire and Pennsylvania delegates. With Ann Romney speaking first, Christie said in comments quoted on the BuzzFeed website, “it freed me up — remember, she was supposed to be going Monday night and because of the hurricane, it was canceled — so instead both of us were on the same night.”

“It actually freed me up to put the choice into more general terms. It allowed me to be able to let Ann Romney talk about Mitt Romney the person.”

How was he 'freed up' if they 'barely changed a word' of his speech?

Maybe it is because I didn't see it as a great speech (possibly because I was expecting more from a guy like Christie) but I can't help but think he made a few changes and the Romney people weren't totally on board or aware of them.

I also think it would have played better if Ann and Christie didn't contradict each other so harshly. She talked about love and he explicitly said respect is better than love. A more subtle distinction would have been better.

I'm still dying to see what Ryan's approach will be. He kinda has to sell Romney but doesnt he have to sell himself too? Is he going to be the attack dog?

I wonder how much time they will give Ryan to make his speech. He is the asset of the Romney-campaign but there is a danger that he might steal the show.

good point. Rubio said the other day on CNN that his intro to Romney will be 15 minutes. That's F'n long for an intro.

Speakers tonight are

McCain

Rand Paul (w some sort of tribute to his dad)

Condoleeza Rice and

Ryan

Interesting variety.

I'm looking forward to Rand Paul and Paul Ryan.

My favourite Rand Paul rant of all time...

I literally stood up cheering when I watched this for the first time!!! :D

Probably my favourite Paul Ryan rant...

This is the same mistake many members of this forum make. They measure compassion by the number and amount of inputs, that is, how much goverment is spending, and how many programs have been or are being created. By that measure, the explosion of the use of food stamps is a huge success! The explosion of medicare and medicaid spending is a huge success! The explosion of unemployment benefits, and social security benefits is a huge success! Society has never been more successful! :lol::rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to Rand Paul and Paul Ryan.

My favourite Rand Paul rant of all time...

I literally stood up cheering when I watched this for the first time!!! :D

This is nonsense. It was 1:22 and I barely lasted a minute.

'the toilets dont work in my house and I blame you.'

Even for a televised commitee it is garbage.

I have to hand it to him though; I didn't think he could get worse after the abortion starter.

Edit: and this is your favorite rant of his? Of all time?

Edited by j44

Ryan's speech was really quite impressive. Too impressive, perhaps. Ryan is clearly a far far better speaker than Romney; that much has been obvious since the very beginnings of the campaign. He is more intelligent, and has a more consistent set of principles and ideas. This could actually be a problem for the Republicans, as their candidate for president will be constantly overshadowed by his VP pick.

Ryan's speech was really quite impressive.

only if facts aren't important to you --- Paul Ryan’s brazen lies - His Republican National Convention speech was stunning for its dishonesty

Paul Ryan gave a feisty anti-Obama speech that will have fact-checkers working for days. His most brazen lie accused President Obama of “raiding” Medicare by taking the exact same $716 billion that Ryan and the House GOP notoriously voted to slash. It was stunning.

But that’s not all. He attacked Obama for failing to keep open a Janesville GM plant that closed under Bush in 2008. He hit him for a credit-rating downgrade that S&P essentially blamed on GOP intransigence. He claimed that all taxpayers got from the 2009 stimulus was “more debt,” when most got a tax cut (and the stimulus is known to have saved between 1.4 and 3.3 million jobs.) He derided the president for walking away from the Simpson Bowles commission deficit-cutting recommendations when Ryan himself, a commission member, voted against those recommendations.

He blamed Obama for a deficit mostly created by programs he himself voted for – from two wars, tax cuts, new Medicare benefits and TARP.

And of course, he riffed on the tired central lie of the GOP convention: that the president said “government gets the credit” for small businesses, not the business owners themselves.

Paul Ryan gave a feisty anti-Obama speech that will have fact-checkers working for days. His most brazen lie accused President Obama of “raiding” Medicare by taking the exact same $716 billion that Ryan and the House GOP notoriously voted to slash. It was stunning.

But that’s not all. He attacked Obama for failing to keep open a Janesville GM plant that closed under Bush in 2008. He hit him for a credit-rating downgrade that S&P essentially blamed on GOP intransigence. He claimed that all taxpayers got from the 2009 stimulus was “more debt,” when most got a tax cut (and the stimulus is known to have saved between 1.4 and 3.3 million jobs.) He derided the president for walking away from the Simpson Bowles commission deficit-cutting recommendations when Ryan himself, a commission member, voted against those recommendations.

He blamed Obama for a deficit mostly created by programs he himself voted for – from two wars, tax cuts, new Medicare benefits and TARP.

And of course, he riffed on the tired central lie of the GOP convention: that the president said “government gets the credit” for small businesses, not the business owners themselves

Looks like you're the one doing the lying there waldo. the Janesville plant stopped production of SUVs in '08, but didn't completely shut down until '09, and after Obama had visited it, and made is undeliverable promise. So that's waldo lie number one. The stimulus didn't have many tax cuts in it, just tax credits, which is much different. It's sad that you don't know the difference between tax cuts and tax credits. But Obama's stimulus was the biggest government spending bill in the history of the country, borrowed from China, and did add to more debt. So that's waldo lie number two. Ryan didn't vote for the debt commission because of a few problems he had with the tax structure, and the entitlement reform. But Obama didn't address it at all, and it was HIS commission. He didn't even offer any of his own altertnative plans. Ryan did. So that's waldo lie number three. And the last lie is about the deficit. It's a combination of Obama's drunken sailor spending, and the downturn in the economy. Obama suspended his campaign in order to head back to Washington and fight for TARP. The two wars have little to do with the current deficit. And Obama sanctioned Afghanistan as "the good war" anyways. So that's waldo lie number four. Which is pretty impressive in just a couple of paragraphs. Heckuva job there buddy! :lol:

The lack of ethnic diversity in the crowd was truly remarkable.

I thought maybe a "candid" closeup on a random ethnic face (a la CPC) would seem too conspicuous, but I googled images of the convention. The camera really wasn't lying.

Sad state of affairs for the party.

yes, your credibility speaks for itself... for not having to provide any (shady, or other type) citations! :lol:

would you like... more? :lol:

Not more, just the truth. I love it when lefties trip all over themselves when they think they've got a winning hand, only to be terribly, terribly disappointed! :lol::lol::lol:

I'll let you read it for yourself, and then clean the egg off your face. But that's what you get when you rely on inaccurate far-left blogs.

http://m.jsonline.com/business/130171578.html

Not more, just the truth. I love it when lefties trip all over themselves when they think they've got a winning hand, only to be terribly, terribly disappointed! :lol::lol::lol:

I'll let you read it for yourself, and then clean the egg off your face. But that's what you get when you rely on inaccurate far-left blogs.

http://m.jsonline.com/business/130171578.html

perfect! :lol: Hey now... seems in the past you've had no trouble trotting out PolitiFact when it suits your purposes, hey? The PolitiFact Truth-O-Meter Says... False!

c'mon Shady... you've got to step up your sham game, hey?

perfect! :lol: Hey now... seems in the past you've had no trouble trotting out PolitiFact when it suits your purposes, hey? The PolitiFact Truth-O-Meter Says... False!

c'mon Shady... you've got to step up your sham game, hey?

Did you read the link? The plant didn't close in '08. You've lost, give it up. CNN already had to retract its "factcheck" stating the same thing. Just admit that you jumped the gun! :lol:

citation request

How about you first acknowledge the Milwakee Journal-Sentinal citing the plant stopped SUV production in '08, but didn't close until '09 after it completed its truck production? Stop lying waldo, stop spreading false information. Stop denying! :lol: