Canadians not loved!

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

Yeah, cuz Canadians are never NIMBY about anything.

Your generalization is sheer stupidity.

I thank you for pointing that out, but Canuckistani's generalization is typical of his mindset; it's not difficult to see the anti-American sentiment in his posts.

Edited by American Woman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Canadian dairy farmers are part of a cartel, it's a license to print money, profits are guaranteed. They're not worried, since you can only bring back $20 of milk at one time. Plenty of Canadian milk being sold in BC.

As a rule, Canadian customs officials have tended to turn a blind eye to cars bringing back far more groceries than the C$20 or less allowed for a day shopping trip.

Perhaps Canadian dairy farmers might feel a little bit differently about it than you do. <_<

Edited to include link

Edited by American Woman

Perhaps Canadian dairy farmers might feel a little bit differently about it than you do.
<_<

Perhaps. If so they're keeping it to themselves. Haven't heard any complaints in the media. They're probably much more worried about their cartel being bargained away in the TTP talks. Let's hope that American subsidies are also on the table.

Maybe it doesn't affect them directly.

It doesn't affect the much at all. The quantity of milk that crosses the border compared to what's sold in Canada is minuscule. The milk industry in Canada has political power well beyond its size, hence its continued existence as a cartel. If cross border shopping was a problem for them, they would have already twisted the appropriate arms.

Cross border shopping is a cultural event for many Canadians. The milk industry, however powerful, could not combat that. Canadians would be up in arms if there were attempts to combat cross border shopping. They'd then vote for whatever opportunist party promises the best cross border shopping.

Keep in mind that Vancouver is right on the border. Toronto is 2 hours away from Buffalo. Montreal 2 from Burlington VT. A majority of Canadians, weather they chose to cross border shop or not, have the option to, and don't want that taken away.

Cross border shopping is a cultural event for many Canadians. The milk industry, however powerful, could not combat that. Canadians would be up in arms if there were attempts to combat cross border shopping. They'd then vote for whatever opportunist party promises the best cross border shopping.

Keep in mind that Vancouver is right on the border. Toronto is 2 hours away from Buffalo. Montreal 2 from Burlington VT. A majority of Canadians, weather they chose to cross border shop or not, have the option to, and don't want that taken away.

BC milk producers are all bigger than the average American producers. They seem to be doing well, how can they not when they control supply and price. Personally I can't think of anything more tedious than sitting in a lineup to bring back $20 worth of milk products, having to deal with ahole American border guards puffed up on their power trip. But to each his own, if that's the best use someone can think of for their time.

Guest American Woman

Personally I can't think of anything more tedious than sitting in a lineup to bring back $20 worth of milk products, having to deal with ahole American border guards puffed up on their power trip.

You have proof that American border guards are "aholes," "puffed up on their power trip," right? I know you would never makes such a claim otherwise. :D So sources, please.

You have proof that American border guards are "aholes," "puffed up on their power trip," right? I know you would never makes such a claim otherwise. :D So sources, please.

Well sure, I've crossed the border since 911. Talked to others who've had the same experience. Read the media about incidents that rise to the level where they are reported. But I know, you want surveys and statistical analysis. Survey says...69.98% of border guards are aholes. What's wrong with you?

Guest American Woman

Well sure, I've crossed the border since 911.[ Talked to others who've had the same experience. Read the media about incidents that rise to the level where they are reported. But I know, you want surveys and statistical analysis. Survey says...69.98% of border guards are aholes. What's wrong with you?

I see. So this is based on your personal experience - which has nothing to do with your attitude and/or mindset. :lol:

Edited by American Woman

Wow.... Now the thread has switched to border guards!

I have had no bad experiences crossing the border and a few really good ones! They are law enforcement, and are paid to be suspicious!

However, after 9/11 I crossed the border with no DL and no birth certificate (and I had no passport). Long story, but the border guards final words as he let me go were "don't get caught by the cops driving without a DL". He was a very understanding guy.

• 2 weeks later...

We just bought gas at the Bellingham costco yesterday, August 31. At about 8:40 am, and there was a line up. I had read about this story and Canadians filling up jersey cans which is some of what Americans were ticked off about. And indeed there was a Canadian doing this when we gassed up, I pulled around him to the pump ahead of him. The schmuck had 6 jersey cans he was filling up besides his truck. What an idiot. The gas fumes were actually pretty strong because of course he left the caps off as he filled them. If another uninformed yute(sorry, old reference) in the area had pulled out his cell phone make a call it could have started a whole 'nuther news story.

I don't blame Americans getting sick of this kind of stupid behaviour. Buying 6 or eight gallons of milk? What the hell are you doing, bathing in it?

On the other hand, the clothing prices are quite good and I spent almost 200 myself. I've looked in the local Bay store lately, and their selection seems pretty meager, maybe us Canadians need to support our own economy/businesses. We're losing yet another Canadian operation, Zellers, which as I'm sure you've all heard got bought out by Target. It's a complicated issue that includes the same products being sold for much higher prices at Canadian stores than American stores. It can't just be that taxes are higher here.

Guest American Woman

We just bought gas at the Bellingham costco yesterday, August 31. At about 8:40 am, and there was a line up. I had read about this story and Canadians filling up jersey cans which is some of what Americans were ticked off about. And indeed there was a Canadian doing this when we gassed up, I pulled around him to the pump ahead of him. The schmuck had 6 jersey cans he was filling up besides his truck. What an idiot. The gas fumes were actually pretty strong because of course he left the caps off as he filled them. If another uninformed yute(sorry, old reference) in the area had pulled out his cell phone make a call it could have started a whole 'nuther news story.

I don't blame Americans getting sick of this kind of stupid behaviour. Buying 6 or eight gallons of milk? What the hell are you doing, bathing in it?

Fact of the matter is, if I had to deal with such long lines, and spend all that time waiting, and have to do without because items are selling out, I'm guessing I'd be a little annoyed too. Ok. A lot annoyed. :P I don't like having to wait in line. I do my shopping and fill up my car at 5:00 am to avoid lines.

As for the milk, it's not just 6 or 8 gallons; as I posted earlier, "There's video of one Canadian woman buying 19 gallons of milk..." so she's either buying for family and friends too, or selling it at a profit. Or, like you suggested, bathing in it.

On the other hand, the clothing prices are quite good and I spent almost 200 myself. I've looked in the local Bay store lately, and their selection seems pretty meager, maybe us Canadians need to support our own economy/businesses. We're losing yet another Canadian operation, Zellers, which as I'm sure you've all heard got bought out by Target. It's a complicated issue that includes the same products being sold for much higher prices at Canadian stores than American stores. It can't just be that taxes are higher here.

Your retailers are losing profits big time to the U.S.; it does make one wonder why something isn't done to make the Canadian prices more competitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Your retailers are losing profits big time to the U.S.; it does make one wonder why something isn't done to make the Canadian prices more competitive.

I would guess that few enough Canadians buy stuff from the US that Canadian retailers make more profit by charging higher prices. Maybe you lose 1-2% of your customers, but if you are selling everything for 20% more, well, it's a simple calculation. I'm sure most retailers have done the economic analysis for themselves and chose whichever path they felt most profitable.

I would guess that few enough Canadians buy stuff from the US that Canadian retailers make more profit by charging higher prices. Maybe you lose 1-2% of your customers, but if you are selling everything for 20% more, well, it's a simple calculation. I'm sure most retailers have done the economic analysis for themselves and chose whichever path they felt most profitable.

I'm sure you're right. There's no reason to suppose that practicality isn't the driving force.

Guest American Woman
American Woman, on 02 September 2012 - 11:46 AM, said: Your retailers are losing profits big time to the U.S.; it does make one wonder why something isn't done to make the Canadian prices more competitive.

I've read articles about the loss of sales for Canadian retailers; the retailers aren't making a higher profit because of the higher prices.

The benefit of cross-border shopping to U.S. retailers comes at the expense of Canadian stores. BMO Capital Markets recently released a report suggesting that Canadian purchases over the border represent up to 8% to 10% of all goods that can be moved across the border. This creates a potential $20 billion drain on the Canadian economy. Canadian retail organizations, such as the Retail Council of Canada, are calling for federal studies into wholesale pricing and tariffs that affect Canadian goods, in order to make them more competitive with their American counterparts.

Cross-Border Shopping: Bane Or Boon?

The Senate banking committee is expected to report later this year on the causes of the persistent price gap between the two countries, despite near parity in the value of the U.S. and Canadian dollars in most years since 2007.

In recent testimony, the Retail Council of Canada blamed multinational distributors that charge Canadian retailers more than those in the U.S. for brand items as the main reason for the gap. Other factors that have been cited include federal duties, less competition in Canada and higher transportation costs.

Cross-border shopping a $20B economic drain

According to other articles I've read, lower prices isn't the only reason Canadians cross border shop; the U.S. has better selections.

Do you cross-border shop for reasons other than money?

Edited by American Woman

Canada's dollar still hovers around par, so if Canadian businesses didn't want to lose business to cross-border shoppers they should reduce their prices accordingly. When will Canadian consumers start reaping the real benefits of our strong dollar instead of just businesses? :angry:

The answer, in part, was provided right above your post.

the Retail Council of Canada blamed multinational distributors that charge Canadian retailers more than those in the U.S. for brand items as the main reason for the gap