Hudak vs unions

Guest Peeves

"Being a former union member,you should know that all financials are available to any member who requests it and is announced at the monthly meetings for DUES PAYING MEMBERS..."

Now that's funny.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Peeves

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hudak and Harper want charties and unions to be open? As open as the Harper's government is? What a laugh and a crying shame. The PC and the CONservatives motto is, do as I say NOT as I do. If Canada has the unions broken by the PC and Feds, workers will be the former like Third World workers, slaves. Until a company will treat workers with respect and pay good wages, there will always be a need for unions.

Today the Sid Ryans and CUPE and other unions have their own political agendas and pet projects and expend monies worker dues to support demonstrating students in another province, boycotts in another country, demonstrators over G8- G 20, Occupiers and the like. That should not be funded by workers dues when dues are paid to provide leadership in union working conditions.

Exactly !!! A worker should have the right to not to have their union dues going to support political causes they don't personally value or support. IMO union dues should be going towards bettering and enhancing work conditions rather than supporting union campaigns against Israel and so on.

Ending closed tendering for government contracts will open up the market place to more competition giving non unionized companies a chance to bid on lucrative contracts - gosh just think, maybe the school board wouldn't be billed a few thousand dollars to change a light bulb . Not to mention removing the artificial restrictions on the number of young people able to enter skilled trades, something that will open doors for more people rather than denying them a chance for an apprenticeship. BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan are also working similar changes in order to open up the job markets to more people.

Voices for Fair Apprenticeship Ratios

http://www.supportontarioyouth.ca/soy1_content_.php?id=4

I agree with Hudak and the above about the unfair restrictions on hiring apprentices as the current ratio is just 1:1. possibly it should be something like 1:3 too many apprentices and the journeyman can't teach or make sure safe practices etc. are in place.

Edited by scribblet

I agree with Hudak and the above about the unfair restrictions on hiring apprentices as the current ratio is just 1:1. possibly it should be something like 1:3 too many apprentices and the journeyman can't teach or make sure safe practices etc. are in place.

What a freekin load this guy is trying to ram down every ones throat!

Hey scribblet are you an apprentice?How about a journeyman/person?Or or you a tradesman?

You know what happens when a mechanical/electrical contractor hires new apprentices?They lay off many of the journeymen that have been working for them for years because they just found cheap labour that they can intimidate!

Ever been there before buddy?You know what I am talking about man?

Right now four out of five plumbing apprentices are failing their C of Q exam because the standards have been raised so high so why bring in more apprentices that will never pass their final exam to get their certificate?

Want to see crap quality become synonymous with Ontario,keep asking for 1:1 ratio and it will be here before you know it!

WWWTT

Exactly !!! A worker should have the right to not to have their union dues going to support political causes they don't personally value or support. IMO union dues should be going towards bettering and enhancing work conditions rather than supporting union campaigns against Israel and so on.

Ending closed tendering for government contracts will open up the market place to more competition giving non unionized companies a chance to bid on lucrative contracts - gosh just think, maybe the school board wouldn't be billed a few thousand dollars to change a light bulb . Not to mention removing the artificial restrictions on the number of young people able to enter skilled trades, something that will open doors for more people rather than denying them a chance for an apprenticeship. BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan are also working similar changes in order to open up the job markets to more people.

Wow scribblet...That's quite a list of advocats working for apprentices in Ontario..

The PC party...Openly advocating for Open Shop/RTW policies in the province...

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business...Catherine Swift's anti labour organization...

The Ontario Chamber of Commerce...'Nuff said...

The Ontario Electrical League...I wonder if their contractors deal with the IBEW???

And the kicker....

Openshop.ca!!!!

Openshop is linked with MeritCanada,another employer driven union busting outfit, and is advocating for open shop policies through the federal billC-377...

Gee..I wonder why this happening considering the skill trades shortage and what wage nd benny plans may be required during a labour shortage???

Hmmm..I wonder what their gameplan is here??

I think we should debate why there are unions? First, all anti-union people should be asking this question. IF and only IF companies treated their workers with fair wages and benefits,as needed as a person living in Canada, then unions wouldn't be part of the laour force but that's not the way companies want it. They only care about the profits and not the health and welfare of workers that make these profits for them. So the bottom line is, if you want unions gone, then companies should get rid of the reasons why workers NEED them. As the saying goes, "It take two to tango". I think Hudak is lonely and wants some media attention.

I think we should debate why there are unions? First, all anti-union people should be asking this question. IF and only IF companies treated their workers with fair wages and benefits,as needed as a person living in Canada, then unions wouldn't be part of the laour force but that's not the way companies want it. They only care about the profits and not the health and welfare of workers that make these profits for them. So the bottom line is, if you want unions gone, then companies should get rid of the reasons why workers NEED them. As the saying goes, "It take two to tango". I think Hudak is lonely and wants some media attention.

cons have no clue how the country should be run. hudak reaffirms that with this craziness.

Hudak and Harper want charties and unions to be open? As open as the Harper's government is? What a laugh and a crying shame. The PC and the CONservatives motto is, do as I say NOT as I do. If Canada has the unions broken by the PC and Feds, workers will be the former like Third World workers, slaves. Until a company will treat workers with respect and pay good wages, there will always be a need for unions.

Most unions are in the public sector now, so this doesn't really make any sense.

Guest Peeves

Most unions are in the public sector now, so this doesn't really make any sense.

Public sector 'unions' never made any sense since they simply got more and more to do less and less with the cost passed on to the taxpayer with no need as in the private sector, to be profitable.

Didn't think so. :rolleyes: Looks like there may be teacher's strikes this September

TORONTO — Some of Ontario’s major teachers’ unions say they won’t accept the same deal that the province reached with English Catholic teachers.

The comments from elementary, secondary and Franco-Ontarian teachers’ unions, as well as CUPE, come a day after the government announced a two-year deal with a wage freeze and three unpaid days for the English Catholic teachers.

It was the first teachers’ group to break ranks with other unions, which have refused to negotiate after they were told their wages would be frozen in the government’s efforts to slay a $15-billion deficit.

The union presidents say their members want to return to work in September, but some will be taking strike votes starting in late August

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Several+Ontario+teachers+unions+reject+deal+reached+with+English+Catholic+union/6894274/story.html#ixzz1zsISQXxR

If the province budges a millimeter from the deal they signed with the Catholic teacher then I'd assume the Catholic teachers would be pissed.

Guest Peeves

That deal with the Catholic teachers probably won't be repeated with the other Unions.

Then there will be strikes. If the government backs off in other contracts the holiday is over for McGuinty and crew.

What a thread.

These two posts are the only comments that make much sense:

Most people in the private sector aren't currently or have never been in a union. Employers in the private sector can decide whether to have a union or not.

I think the main problem we're seeing in Canada is how public sector unions hold a monopoly on how public money is spent and how much to charge for services.

----

In Canada today, about 75% of public sector employees are unionized (and this percentage is rising), and about 25% of private sector employees are unionized (and this percentage is falling). In Ontario, the percentages are closer to 80% public sector and 15% private sector.

Link to stats here.

IOW, when we speak of unions in Canada (and particularly Ontario), we are largely talking about public sector employees.

Apart from Hudak's proposed policy, I think a good question is to ask our Leftist friends why unions are largely now an affair of the public sector. And another question to Jack Weber is whether strong public sector unions are good for "ordinary working families".

As to Hudak, he should make it plain that it is not about teachers (or public sector employees). It's about (public sector) unions, and (public sector) union activists - because that's what it is. Hudak should take a page from this guy's book:

Edited by August1991

As a last, separate point, we have (strong public sector) unions in Canada in part because of Duplessis in Quebec and the desire of Quebec reformers (Trudeau, Lévesque, Marchand) to ensure that in the future, society would have parallel institutions capable of confronting dictatorial State power.

In Québec in the 1950s, unions were one institution capable of confronting Duplessis. The Church didn't, and the federal government didn't care. As Trudeau famously said: "Create counterweights." Unions do this. And as a result, union legislation is liberal in Canada. It is easy to create and fund unions, in particular public sector unions.

----

With that said, I'm not sure that strong unions can prevent dictators. First of all, dictators can subvert unions. Secondly, the creation of counterweights should rightly be part of a constitution.

Nevertheless, as much as many dislike unions, we all must admit that they are a parallel power, and a protection against tyranny.