Canada is now the MOST expensive country in the worl to make Cars

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fletch didn't consider that it would take a fraction of the time to make the Ferrari on a moving assembly line in Canada.

What a shocker!!

Next,he'll be wanting to move Ferrari production to China to avoid the three (3) different union locals in the Ferrari shop...

Edited by Jack Weber

Fletch didn't consider that it would take a fraction of the time to make the Ferrari on a moving assembly line in Canada.

Sorry, but that is not how Ferraris are manufactured. Not the engine...or transmission...or assembly. The process is much S-L-O-W-E-R...by design:

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Again, I agree. However I am sure that corporate success is achievable with a union.

Agreed, it is possible but only when the most pernicious aspects of organized labor are kept at bay. The contentious and purposeful rotating strike threat so common to the auto industry guarantees conflict and labor strife.

How about this question: in the case of GM circa 2008-2009, who do you think bears the most responsibility for their near-collapse: Union, Management, Board, Government, Others?

Management ultimately has responsibility for the success or failure of GM, as demonstrated by Ford's ability to recognize and navigate the capital crunch with foresight (loans) and without massive government intervention. The perfect storm of gobbling up too many other makes along with the crash of financial markets could no longer feed the army of GM/UAW retirees and current employee costs. Some of this weakness was masked as late as 2006 by the huge profit margins on light trucks and sport utility vehicles, vehicles that the Japanese makes also cashed in on until the bubble popped.

Tooling vs tooling on eaual grounds... The italians can make a MUCH better car cheaper... No silly-man,,, where did we expect a factory to be moved...

You proved my point.. An exotic can be made cheaper overseas than a domestic car like a Sebring can be made in Canada... I thank you for legitimizing my point... Magical shifting and floating fabs excluded....

Oye-vey......

Wait a minit...If Ferrari is paying 18000/yr they would do much much better to pay 10000/year! Imagine the profits! the Share values! The bonuses! To hell with 10000/yr they would do even better paying 5k/year!

And the part time employees would be thrilled with continuous employment!

Fletch is on to something: The less people make - the better off everyone is!

Why is everyone getting sucked into this "ferrari" debate???

If Ferrari workers are getting paid so little,and the cars that they manufacture are so expensive than that would mean that the workers are getting reamed!!!

And when workers get reamed,the economy gets reamed!!!

Makes sense since Italy is at the centre of the European financial woes.

Actually I have to thank Fletch for pointing out how important unions are to the Canadian economy!

Defending workers = defending economy!

Beware talking financial advise from Kevin O'Leary!!

This guy has admitted on the air that he is very greedy and only cares about his self interests!

WWWTT

Even Ford knew that if you take care of your workers, you take care of your corporate interests. How that got flipped around in the last 20-30 years to people thinking that taking care of corporate interests is somehow going to trickle down to the workers is beyond me. Ignoring labour's interests only serves to destroy your customer base and the economy. It's time to stop with this absurd trickle-down game and get back to making things work for everyone.

Rational unions are A-OK in my books. The bricklayers Union for instance... Or the plumbers union... RATIONaL unions. Not Unions who see their employer as the enemy and fights to destroy it and any profit. The CAW is the shining example of unions gone wrong.

For instance, the union at Ferrari.. They negotiate in good faith and they understand the rewards of having a job.

Why is everyone getting sucked into this "ferrari" debate???

If Ferrari workers are getting paid so little,and the cars that they manufacture are so expensive than that would mean that the workers are getting reamed!!!

And when workers get reamed,the economy gets reamed!!!

Makes sense since Italy is at the centre of the European financial woes.

Actually I have to thank Fletch for pointing out how important unions are to the Canadian economy!

Defending workers = defending economy!

Beware talking financial advise from Kevin O'Leary!!

This guy has admitted on the air that he is very greedy and only cares about his self interests!

WWWTT

Thats because hes focused on politics and not economics and this is true of way to many people.

Its a lot more fun to vomit up mindless anti-union, or anti-business garbage than it is to actually try to understand whats going on.

Economics is dry and boring, unfortunately.

Economics and finance is transparent... Black and white... It is indeed juicy...

I just wish the federal oposoition would use numbers as opposed to catch-phrases... Jobs are jobs, growth is growth, tangible... How do you quantify "transparency" and other neat words?

No, economics is juicy, wet, and fascinating if you know where to look.

Economics is anything but black and white. It's based on very disparate competing theories.

I have a different perspective on this.

Economics are not that difficult.

However many of the players have twisted and warped the playing field for so long now that only a limited number of individuals completely understand all the complexities and "small print".

Actually many of the players out right fabricate!

Don't believe me?

Check out jugglingdynamite.com/investors-pull-half-a-billion-out-of-oleary-funds

The real zinger hear is that a few years ago I remember many conservative political junkies suggesting that the government increase MP wages to attract these snake oil peddlars/riff raff/quacks into the political arena to help solve/strengthen our economy!

I always found it absurd that some people really believed that a super slick car salesman(O'Leary) would make an excellent politician.

WWWTT

Dude, Oleary is far-right wing... If we could just get someone who is a little left of him who cares about Canada.. We all win...

Oh... We did, his name is Steve... Champion of the middle.... Hence 3 terms and the last one to date... A Majority....

I have a different perspective on this.

Economics are not that difficult.

However many of the players have twisted and warped the playing field for so long now that only a limited number of individuals completely understand all the complexities and "small print".

Actually many of the players out right fabricate!

Don't believe me?

Check out jugglingdynamite.com/investors-pull-half-a-billion-out-of-oleary-funds

The real zinger hear is that a few years ago I remember many conservative political junkies suggesting that the government increase MP wages to attract these snake oil peddlars/riff raff/quacks into the political arena to help solve/strengthen our economy!

I always found it absurd that some people really believed that a super slick car salesman(O'Leary) would make an excellent politician.

WWWTT

The truth is so simple and I have mentioned so many times.

The tax is too heavy, 50% of each worker's wage become income tax and sales tax, which be used for CAS and legal system to create more and more new laws and build jails for new defined 'crimes' and give ticket to drivers and bully single moms and children.

And mortgage company takes same amount of money as the price of house as interest for buying a house that need a worker to pay. And mortgage company need no money to lend you money, simply input a number in your account, they can take same amount of money as you buy a house that need you work for many years.

And people have no rights to build their own house, you need a license, lots of work need license, that effectively restrict competitions. Canada is not a free market. You have to pay more for this.

These factors makes Canada's labor price the highest in the world, that makes job opportunities go to other counties continuously.

The solution is, stop create any new laws, review each old laws and abolish most of them. lay off most tax payed jobs and make anyone has the right to create a company to do those jobs, so that competition is possible. and cut tax is possible. And make mortgage company need 100% cash before they and lend anyone money. That will solve a lot of problems.

The benefits, wages and Union enforcement is killing Jobs in Canada. The Unions are decimating manufacturing in Canada..GM is re-tooling for the 4 door sedan in Alabama (our car) and is shutting down manufacture in ontario. Is it time the Government takes Wisconsin's position to save these Union jobs?

Is it time to back away from Auto subsidies? Let them sink or swim? Should Canada reduce the tax rate for the Auto companies to save them? Similar to "bailing" out the US banks?

The Feds bailed them out one time already... Should we inject cash into this money losing venture?

Please... Discuss!

Ooo yea... The link:

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/news/transportation/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/2012/06/12/canada-now-the-most-expensive-place-to-build-a-car-in-the-world-says-gm-chief