Bill C-30 the spy on your computer bill is back

Bill C30, the sweeping Canadian warrantless Internet surveillance bill, is back from the dead. Public Safety Minister Vic Toews (who declared that opposition to his bill was tantamount to support for pedophiles) has been working behind the scenes to resurrect his legislation, joining forces with the US government in the name of "perimeter security." This proposed deal would expand the warrantless surveillance to US authorities, who could also access Canadians' private information.

http://boingboing.net/2012/06/08/canadas-warrantless-surveill-2.html

Welcome to the new Canada. Don't have a warrant? Just fine with us why should someone need one of those? Even if it is the FBI in another country. Worst government ever. What happened to the Reform members who loved their civil liberties?

more unfounded sensationalism from Harper Conservative Public Safety Minister - Vic Toews!

Harper Conservative Public Safety Minister - Vic Toews: said his so-called Internet snooping bill would help police investigate the shocking murder and dismemberment of a man in Montreal.

"Certainly, that's what the police have told me - that the powers in Bill C-30 are very relevant to this type of investigation in terms of either determining who the individual is, or determining the whereabouts of an individual," said Toews on Friday in Winnipeg.

Toews Draws False Link Between Magnotta Investigation and Lawful Access

The Toews comments continue the longstanding trend of unsubstantiated claims by government officials about lawful access. In this case, there is simply no question that law enforcement can obtain the necessary warrant on customer name and address information (if an ISP refused as part of an investigation) and police have presumably obtained warrants for far more detailed information. Moroever, the surveillance capabilities at ISPs mandated by C-30 - which focus on real-time surveillance - appear completely irrelevant given that Magnotta fled to France. In fact, reports indicate that there were early warnings about Magnotta and the video openly available that were dismissed by police. The Magnotta case does not demonstrate the need for lawful access, but rather shows how officials rely on sensationalist claims as they remain unable to muster convincing evidence of the need for the law.

This is just too much. Toews should be ashamed of himself. Using the gruesome death of an innocent Chinese national to push through a bill he probably hasn't even read. This is seriously disgusting. Toews needs to resign from politics altogether.

He saw an opportunity and is trying to use shock doctrine to exploit it. It is just sick that this man would try and use this news story to pass a beefed version of his bill Canadians have already rallied to reject.

Edited by punked

Where have you people been? The security perimeter is just another name for the North American Union. The US is going to have more power over us Canadian in the future and I don't know if Harper is a willing part of is just plain blind to what is going on. Both, Americans and Canadians tried to stop this from going forward and the powers that be did stop for a short time to regroup and come back with the Security Perimeter. Just google name like Frank McKenna, John Manning and tied to NAU or Security Perimeter, this goes across the aisle of government of the Liberals and the Alliance/Tories. I'm not sure were the NDP are on this, then again I guess it depends who the leader is of the party and how much he thinks of Canada. Get ready for the summer surprises (announcements) this government will roll out from their first summer of majority government.

Where have you people been? The security perimeter is just another name for the North American Union. The US is going to have more power over us Canadian in the future and I don't know if Harper is a willing part of is just plain blind to what is going on.

Feel the American power...each time you watch television! "Damn Americans....I hate those bastards".

Both, Americans and Canadians tried to stop this from going forward and the powers that be did stop for a short time to regroup and come back with the Security Perimeter. Just google name like Frank McKenna, John Manning and tied to NAU or Security Perimeter, this goes across the aisle of government of the Liberals and the Alliance/Tories.

But if you use Google or the Internet, aren't you just giving the Americans more power over you?

Feel the American power...each time you watch television! "Damn Americans....I hate those bastards".

You'd be more correct in saying 'Feel the UN power, each time you watch the news'

But if you use Google or the Internet, aren't you just giving the Americans more power over you?

Actually in away giving the NSA more power over you.

Where have you people been? The security perimeter is just another name for the North American Union. The US is going to have more power over us Canadian in the future and I don't know if Harper is a willing part of is just plain blind to what is going on. Both, Americans and Canadians tried to stop this from going forward and the powers that be did stop for a short time to regroup and come back with the Security Perimeter. Just google name like Frank McKenna, John Manning and tied to NAU or Security Perimeter, this goes across the aisle of government of the Liberals and the Alliance/Tories. I'm not sure were the NDP are on this, then again I guess it depends who the leader is of the party and how much he thinks of Canada. Get ready for the summer surprises (announcements) this government will roll out from their first summer of majority government.

That is what it looks like.

1. Conservatives trying to make the copyright laws the same as the Americans. Even going so far as to ask them what should be on the bill. Thank you wikileaks for revealing that.

2. In this budget there is a bill called The Shipriders act which will give U.S agents the same power as Canadian police forces on maritime boundaries. As well as allowing DEA, FBI, ATF to arrest Canadians or Americans on Canadian soil. I heard rumblings of maybe U.S drones well over Canadian territory instead of just on the border.

3. This, which will give Americans the power to gain Canadian data without a warrant or other forms.

Did I miss anything else?

Yes, The North American Union is almost here.

Welcome to the new Canada. Don't have a warrant? Just fine with us why should someone need one of those? Even if it is the FBI in another country. Worst government ever. What happened to the Reform members who loved their civil liberties?

That's a blog and pure speculation...

As for some of the bile in this thread - Toto - I'm not in Kansas anymore

That's a blog and pure speculation...

As for some of the bile in this thread - Toto - I'm not in Kansas anymore

Give me a break it is sourced which is often better then I can say about most news organizations. How about readings its contents and following its links then actually telling me why you dismiss it?

Remember the Ontario MPP that said if you want something done, create a crisis then use it as a means to get it done. Every Canadian and American citzens shouldn't automatic believe their leaders 100%. We need to keep our eyes and ears open and have a good memory of what is going on around us. Beleive me, I know that people who can't believe this will use its a "conspircy" issue but fact s are facts and Canada and US militaries are slowing coming together and MacKay even made a remark about more harmonizing coming in the future for the two nations.

Remember the Ontario MPP that said if you want something done, create a crisis then use it as a means to get it done. Every Canadian and American citzens shouldn't automatic believe their leaders 100%. We need to keep our eyes and ears open and have a good memory of what is going on around us. Beleive me, I know that people who can't believe this will use its a "conspircy" issue but fact s are facts and Canada and US militaries are slowing coming together and MacKay even made a remark about more harmonizing coming in the future for the two nations.

Yes...

His name is John Snobelin...

Every Canadian and American citzens shouldn't automatic believe their leaders 100%. We need to keep our eyes and ears open and have a good memory of what is going on around us.

What's this "we" stuff...American citizens have nothing to worry about for this oft repeated paranoia in Canada. America spies on EVERYBODY. Stop using Google, Bing, Youtube, and Amazon.

Beleive me, I know that people who can't believe this will use its a "conspircy" issue but fact s are facts and Canada and US militaries are slowing coming together and MacKay even made a remark about more harmonizing coming in the future for the two nations.

Who is MacKay? America has never heard of a man who seems to have such power.

Either way, this is coming. If this garbage bill doesnt pass, there will be another one and another one after that.

The underlying factor here is that the government hates our freedom. It drives them absolutely nuts that we would be able to communicate amongst ourselves without them having a way to to spy on us. And governments are especially afraid of value of the internet as a tool used by social activists.

And ironically they will cite our need for security as the reason for ever increasing invasion of our privacy, and that tactic will eventually work on the cowards and state-power sycophants in this country.

I absolutely guarantee that the free and private nature of the internet will be wittled away until the government can basically monitor everything.

I hope we get to vote in US elections then if that's the case.

....I absolutely guarantee that the free and private nature of the internet will be wittled away until the government can basically monitor everything.

By definition, the "internet" was never free and private. The only good news for the paranoid types is that there is too much information to process...for now.

The underlying factor here is that the government hates our freedom. It drives them absolutely nuts that we would be able to communicate amongst ourselves without them having a way to to spy on us.

What is this freedom you speak of? It only exists in your mind.

The government is already spying on us with or without this bill.