BOOBIES!

Grumet, a 26 year-old parenting blogger who is seen offering her nipple to her nearly 4 year-old year-old son Aram on the cover of this week’s Time magazine, is happy to be the newest face of attachment parenting.

Attachment parenting is the theory supported by Dr. William Sears, based on the notion that the strong emotional bond forged during early childhood has lifelong benefits.

Grumet told Time magazine that she was breast-fed until she was six years-old.

“She wasn’t a hippie. Everyone thinks she must have been because we lived in Northern California,” she said. “My dad did go to Berkeley, but he was a nutritional scientist. My parents were really into nutrition, that’s why.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/time-magazine-cover-shows-mom-breast-feeding-young-son-jamie-lynn-grumet-practices-attachment-parenting-article-1.1075654#ixzz1uZDoegbH

Bet that son gets more action that the mom's husband does. :rolleyes:

Edited by Boges

Guest Manny

I didn't read your link, but I've heard that in the "olden days", people used to breast feed their children longer than they do now. A few years old was pretty normal.

Only in North America could parenting practices that are commonplace by bneccesity in much of the developing world become de rigueur among the privileged. I'm sure there's millions of mothers around the world who'd love the chance to put the goddamned baby down for five goddamned minutes.

Only in North America could parenting practices that are commonplace by bneccesity in much of the developing world become de rigueur among the privileged. I'm sure there's millions of mothers around the world who'd love the chance to put the goddamned baby down for five goddamned minutes.

You mean people breastfeed later because they can't afford actual food for their children? Must suck. :unsure:

You mean people breastfeed later because they can't afford actual food for their children? Must suck. :unsure:

Breastfeed because they don't have enough food, carry the kids all day because they don't have nannies, sleep with them because they only have one room. Attachment parenting=poverty parenting IMO.

Breastfeed because they don't have enough food, carry the kids all day because they don't have nannies, sleep with them because they only have one room. Attachment parenting=poverty parenting IMO.

At 3/4 you shouldn't have to carry the child much anymore.

I'm aware. Not really the point.

I get it, you're point is the negatvice reaction to this is a First-world problem. Still it's icky.

I guess the question with this is that woman using breastfeeding to keep a symbolic leash on their child for as long as possible. It's just another example of helicopter parenting.

Love the pun :P .

The problem I had with the cover wasn't so much the message, but the delivery. It was obviously meant to be controversial, I believe it was supposed to portray confidence, but instead it seemed more like defiance or arrogance. The whole track-suit thing and the kid standing on the chair begging for a suck from his master just seemed to go against the actual act of feeding a kid. I have no problem with breastfeeding, but I think this one missed the mark.

I get it, you're point is the negatvice reaction to this is a First-world problem. Still it's icky.

No that wasn't my point at all. I was talking about the phenomenon of attachment parenting and the irony of it being a lifestyle choice for the rich.

Did you read the article at all or are you familiar with the concept?

Cuz it looks icky.

I think it's mostly icky because it's right out there on the cover of Time magazine. It's way too personal for such a public display. It's a good thing an article on the virtues of using toilet paper isn't so marketable.

Not to mention the poor kid who now has to go through school being the guy who breast-fed on the cover of Time when he was four.

I think it's mostly icky because it's right out there on the cover of Time magazine. It's way too personal for such a public display. It's a good thing an article on the virtues of using toilet paper isn't so marketable.

Not to mention the poor kid who now has to go through school being the guy who breast-fed on the cover of Time when he was four.

Which is why I think parents like these are more about their own feelings and vanity than the welfare of their kids.

Guest American Woman

Which is why I think parents like these are more about their own feelings and vanity than the welfare of their kids.

And what are those feelings? I think that's crossed a few people's minds.

Guest American Woman

That kid is very very tall for a three year old, and already has a prominent gut.

Those do not look at all like lactating breasts to me either. I smell Photoshop.

It's not a photoshop. The kid is almost 4, and some 4 year olds are tall - or his mother could be on the short side. At any rate, there is another photo of the two from the shoot, along with a few other mothers who still nurse at age 3 or beyond, presented in a slideshow at this link: Behind the Cover: Are You Mom Enough?

This issue of Time reminded me of this video of a mother nursing her 7 year old: