Abortion revisited

Topaz

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except everyone doesn't have the same rights; minors don't have the same rights as adults.

You gotta be kidding me! We're talking human rights!

So just for starters, I can assume that you support abortion for a rape victim, right? If not, your argument doesn't stand.

I think the normal procedures for rape victims is to get "cleaned out" in the hospital right after rape occurs. This not only prevents unwanted pregnancy but also STD.

If you got rape, won't you go see the doctor to make sure you didn't get anything?

No, that's not the whole point of the debate. The whole point of the debate is whether or not a woman can be forced by law to carry an unplanned, unwanted pregnancy to term.

Well that explains it. You're not on the right page! Here is what I'm on about....

An Ontario MP, former lawyer, wants to have a debate on when is a embryo defined as human being.

Edited by betsy

You gotta be kidding me! We're talking human rights!

I think the normal procedures for rape victims is to get "cleaned out" in the hospital right after rape occurs. This not only prevents unwanted pregnancy but also STD.

If you got rape, won't you go see the doctor to make sure you didn't get anything?

Well that explains it. You're not on the right page! Here is what I'm on about....

[/b]

An Ontario MP, former lawyer, wants to have a debate on when is a embryo defined as human being.

Thats fine but the outcome of that debate will have no impact on abortion. There is no "right to abortion" in Canada, only a restriction on the right of the state to interfere in the choice. You cant change that without amending the constituion to strip women of their right to liberty.

That's a pretty cowardly avoidance of the question. Not only is it not true that they "clean you out" (which would amount to an abortion if life begins at conception), what if a father rapes his 12-year-old daughter and doesn't take her to the hospital afterwards?

But don't worry. I don't expect you to answer the question, because I don't think there are any evangelical blogs that deal with it. :lol:

Thats fine but the outcome of that debate will have no impact on abortion. There is no "right to abortion" in Canada, only a restriction on the right of the state to interfere in the choice. You cant change that without amending the constituion to strip women of their right to liberty.

Well I don't know what the outcome of the debate will be....if we do ever get to have one.

The restriction on the state to interfere with the choice can drastically change if the fetus is deemed human, deserving of every right as anyone else.

Is it really that hard for you to answer one simple question?

AW asked.." I can assume that you support abortion for a rape victim, right?"

And you answer with that claptrap?

For the record, rapes can occur where there is no general access to Hospitals or medical facilities able to handle it.

A rape kit may or may not contain an RU-486 pill but will have a kit for specimen collection and that is why they are sent to the hospital, to help the cops and crown pursue a case with evidence.

Well I don't know what the outcome of the debate will be....if we do ever get to have one.

The restriction on the state to interfere with the choice can drastically change if the fetus is deemed human, deserving of every right as anyone else.

Sorry but the attempt to do that has been struck down as well in S.C 753.

The common law must reflect the values enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Liability for fetal injury by pregnant women would run contrary to two of the most fundamental of these values—liberty and equality.

You would need a constitutional amendment THERE as well, and the chances of that happened are virtually zero. The government cannot assign a fetus judicial personality without violating the constitutional rights of the mother.

The ruling was further re-enforced when Winnipeg Child Services VS D.F.G.

Put quite simply the courts slammed the door in the governments face, and rightly so.

Edited by dre

Sorry but the attempt to do that has been struck down as well in S.C 753.

You would need a constitutional amendment THERE as well, and the chances of that happened are virtually zero. The government cannot assign a fetus judicial personality without violating the constitutional rights of the mother.

The ruling was further re-enforced when Winnipeg Child Services VS D.F.G.

Put quite simply the courts slammed the door in the governments face, and rightly so.

We'll just have to wait and see what will happen.

I'm shocked that Betsy is now okay with abortion in some cases. What would Deuteronomy say? :lol:

What you guys are saying through all your lame attempts come out loud and clear. You just don't have the guts to say it plainly.

You don't care at all if the fetus is human.

I said it plainly. You've obviously ignored my posts. The fetus is human. To say otherwise is patently absurd. It simply doesn't matter that the fetus is human because no one has the right to demand the use of your body to keep them alive for any period of time without your consent.

I have one question and its a standalone question. What is the opinion about people who are too stupid to exercise any other birth control and have multiple abortions? I understand that the position of many people is that you cannot be forced to deliver the baby but what happens when someone has 2,3,4 or more abortions?

I have one question and its a standalone question. What is the opinion about people who are too stupid to exercise any other birth control and have multiple abortions? I understand that the position of many people is that you cannot be forced to deliver the baby but what happens when someone has 2,3,4 or more abortions?

Is this actually an issue?

So call it a human, or a duck, or a billy goat. It doesnt matter because the state has no such right under our constitution to force their judgement here on the mother.

So personal opinions on what constitutes a life don't matter ? I disagree. The laws are clear, but the murkiness of peoples' personal opinions on this is far more interesting and telling to me.

Abortion is birth control. There's no difference between having 1 abortion or 20.

Is this actually an issue?

To me it is. I support abortion in cases where the pregnancy is the result of rape or when the pregnancy is going to put the women in unnecessary risk, but I oppose abortion for people who are too stupid to use a condom or other means of birth control. To me an abortion has to have a legitimate reason behind it, instead of some 19 or 20 year old idiot girl who gets regular abortions because she is too stupid to use other means of birth control.

To me it is. I support abortion in cases where the pregnancy is the result of rape or when the pregnancy is going to put the women in unnecessary risk, but I oppose abortion for people who are too stupid to use a condom or other means of birth control. To me an abortion has to have a legitimate reason behind it, instead of some 19 or 20 year old idiot girl who gets regular abortions because she is too stupid to use other means of birth control.

Abortion because you failed to use other means of birth control is a perfectly legitimate reason.