Canuck Fans

Guest Derek L

I know as a Leafs fan I should stfu up but . . .

Down 3-nil to the LA Kings. You trying to forgo the impending riots this year.

I’m also a Leafs fan, but the rest of the family has drank the Canucks Kool-Aid…….Well watching the final minutes last night, couldn’t help but comment, that I thought I heard the sound of the springs on the shocks of the bandwagon releasing………..Don’t discount a riot if they win game four and come back here (and lose) in game five ;)

Guest Derek L

I know as a Leafs fan I should stfu up but . . .

Down 3-nil to the LA Kings. You trying to forgo the impending riots this year.

I’m also a Leafs fan, but the rest of the family has drank the Canucks Kool-Aid…….Well watching the final minutes last night, couldn’t help but comment, that I thought I heard the sound of the springs on the shocks of the bandwagon releasing………..Don’t discount a riot if they win game four and come back here (and lose) in game five ;)

As a Hawks fan I loathe the Canucks but I hope they don't blame Luongo for this one. I don't even think he deserved all the blame he got for them losing to Boston last year. The Sedins didnt show up in the finals but everyone blamed Luongo. You would think he didn't win this country gold in their city.

Again, as a Hawks fan I'm so glad Van got LA in the first round. I didn't want Chi to have to deal with Quick (although Smith isn't much better). Give Quick and the Kings a lot of credit.

It's too bad they're down 3-0. LA is a better team than people thought I think. They had a good record down the stretch against good opponents.

I think the Canucks thought they were just going to get there automatically.... everyone talked about "flicking the switch" for the playoffs, but that hasn't happened.

Poor passing, a poor powerplay and some really stupid penalties have put them in a huge hole. Not to mention the dirtbag from the Hawks putting a flying elbow to the head of our best player.... that didn't help their playoff chances...

It's too bad they're down 3-0. LA is a better team than people thought I think. They had a good record down the stretch against good opponents.

I think the Canucks thought they were just going to get there automatically.... everyone talked about "flicking the switch" for the playoffs, but that hasn't happened.

Poor passing, a poor powerplay and some really stupid penalties have put them in a huge hole. Not to mention the dirtbag from the Hawks putting a flying elbow to the head of our best player.... that didn't help their playoff chances...

I thought Vancouver played a great game last night, much much better than their last two, and Schneider was their best player.

But they have a really hard time scoring goals right now is the problem. They had a lot of chances last night but Quick was fantastic, and we just couldnt score. And their problems scoring goals go back to around the time of the Kassian Hodsen trade which IMO was a downgrade, at least in the present.

Im actually kind of relieved. Id rather spend my spring on the golf course than watching tube.

Are you a big Canucks fan? I would think you could still cheer for your team and enjoy the sun.

Yup been a fan for a long time. And yup... if they stay in Ill watch every bit of it. Might go catch a game as well, then play a little texas holdem at the river rock. Kindof a tradition. But like I said... If they lose ill look at the bright side... More excersize, fishing, and golf, and less TV watching.

Lets see how tomorrow night goes!

Lots of people thought the Predators might topple the Red Wings this year, but I don't think many people expected the Wings to be the first team eliminated.

Several teams are getting overpowering goaltending-- the Kings, Rangers, Coyotes (and maybe the Canucks, now that Schneider has taken over the starting job...) but I think Pekka Rinne gives Nashville probably the most intimidating goaltending in the league right now.

-k

Lots of people thought the Predators might topple the Red Wings this year, but I don't think many people expected the Wings to be the first team eliminated.

Several teams are getting overpowering goaltending-- the Kings, Rangers, Coyotes (and maybe the Canucks, now that Schneider has taken over the starting job...) but I think Pekka Rinne gives Nashville probably the most intimidating goaltending in the league right now.

-k

I find it ironic, and kind of pathetic, that the teams leading, like Phoenix, like Nashville, like Los Angeles, like Florida, are teams which, if they actually do win the Stanley Cup would be lucky to find enough fans to fill a phone booth to celebrate. Oh yeah, I know that's an exaggeration. But can you imagine the announcer on the local TV stations in any of those cities if their team wins? It'd be like, the final item on the sports section, after they've dealt with high school football and badminton. "And finally, the Nashville Predators, a local ice hockey team, won an international championship last night!"

The NHL remains a gate-driven league. So it doesn't matter if hockey isn't the #1 or #2 or #3 sport in Nashville, as long as they have enough fans to fill their arena.

The Predators' earlier attendance struggles were well known, but many people apparently don't realize that they have established themselves in the market and have been playing in a full arena for years.

-k

I find it ironic, and kind of pathetic, that the teams leading, like Phoenix, like Nashville, like Los Angeles, like Florida, are teams which, if they actually do win the Stanley Cup would be lucky to find enough fans to fill a phone booth to celebrate. Oh yeah, I know that's an exaggeration. But can you imagine the announcer on the local TV stations in any of those cities if their team wins? It'd be like, the final item on the sports section, after they've dealt with high school football and badminton. "And finally, the Nashville Predators, a local ice hockey team, won an international championship last night!"

Tampa won a Cup, so did Gordon Bombay and the Mighty Ducks. Carolina beat a very popular Oilers team.

The Leafs have the best fans on earth and they can't even make the playoffs.

This issue isn't isolated to just hockey. The Florida Marlins have two World Series' since they've existed while the Chicago Cubs are a century plus without a World Series.

The Leafs have the best fans on earth and they can't even make the playoffs.

If the fans are so good, how can the keystone franchise of the sport go so long without a championship ?

Assuming they don't win the cup in the next five years (<sarcasm>I know that's a stretch...) the Leafs will have spent half of the league history without a championship.

I blame the fans, including myself. I'm punishing myself by not watching the games anymore.

If the fans are so good, how can the keystone franchise of the sport go so long without a championship ?

Assuming they don't win the cup in the next five years (<sarcasm>I know that's a stretch...) the Leafs will have spent half of the league history without a championship.

I blame the fans, including myself. I'm punishing myself by not watching the games anymore.

The truth is, if people who have season's tickets now stop going there'll be a lineup of people willing to take those tickets.

Leafs games are more of a business expense than anything else.

But then you see what happens when they go down the QEW to play the Sabres and those games look like Leaf games. I've heard Sabre fans pay for their season's tickets by selling tickets to the Leaf games to Leaf fans.

The Leafs were on the road to a decent playoff spot up until the Allstar break and they fell a part. That's two years in a row they've done that.

I'm not sure what the answer is with them though.

Guest Manny

As I understand it, the fans are not the ones who shoot the puck.

True but Toronto is such a great market for hockey the team would sell out the building even if they went 0-82. Seems like that would take the pressure off the organization to win... because even as a losing hockey team, the leafs are the most successful BUSINESS in the NHL.

True but Toronto is such a great market for hockey the team would sell out the building even if they went 0-82. Seems like that would take the pressure off the organization to win... because even as a losing hockey team, the leafs are the most successful BUSINESS in the NHL.

They have tried to win. They just keep failing. I'm sure Brian Burke isn't in this for just the money.

The truth is, if people who have season's tickets now stop going there'll be a lineup of people willing to take those tickets.

Leafs games are more of a business expense than anything else.

Right. And who would watch games on TV if they never had a chance to see the real thing, ever ?

By making the game into a gold-plated event for senior executives, who don't care who wins as long as their deal goes down, they're going to kill the sport in the city.

I'm not sure what the answer is with them though.

Hire the best scouts possible, and no more trades allowed ever.

They shoot the coaches and GMs - figuratively, of course but in the head nonetheless.

The Leafs did the right thing this year by not trading draft choices for a middle aged player as they have done too often. It didn't work out, and the fans got another coaches head on a wooden plaque to put beside the 40 or 50 others since the last cup was won.

But it was still the right thing to do. The Leafs are young and with some good picks and maybe a trade for a goalie they will be great in a few years.

The fans need to learn patience, which is ironic for a 45 year cup drought team.