Canuck Fans

Which franchise ended a 25-year post-series win drought last night, the record for the NHL ?

The Phoenix/Winnipeg Coyote Jets !

(Last series win: 1986–87)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_franchise_post-season_droughts#Post-season_series_win_droughts

Interesting, Phoenix, Florida, LA, and St. Louis ended an accumulated 54 (!) seasons of post-series win droughts with their wins in the first round. Now only the lowly Islanders have not won a playoff series since the 90s (92-93).

Several teams are getting overpowering goaltending-- the Kings, Rangers, Coyotes (and maybe the Canucks, now that Schneider has taken over the starting job...) but I think Pekka Rinne gives Nashville probably the most intimidating goaltending in the league right now.

Yeah, those teams have goalies that are statistically excellent, but I wonder how often their goalies are pressed really hard for a long time....

Teams like Kings and Rangers, st Louis, Nashville, Phoenix etc are bigtime, hardcore defensive teams. They often do not allow many shots, and those that do occur are often from the perimeter. All these teams collapse five guys to the net, which means many blocked shots, no rebounds, missed nets and few quality scoring chances. Things have changed from the 80s when, for example, excellent goalies like Grant Fuhr were basically abandoned by their teams. Fuhr was never going to have a decent goals agaisnt avaerage or even save percentage because other teams got plenty of high quality shots, but no doubt he was a fine goaiie. Goalies today are better trained for sure, but they are also much larger. Used to be the goalie was usally an acrobatic small guy, now they tend to be 6'5" tall and cover most of the net.

So I don't know if goalies are better- I doubt it- but the game has changed to make them look better.

Edited by fellowtraveller

Yeah, those teams have goalies that are statistically excellent, but I wonder how often their goalies are pressed really hard for a long time....

Teams like Kings and Rangers, st Louis, Nashville, Phoenix etc are bigtime, hardcore defensive teams. They often do not allow many shots, and those that do occur are often from the perimeter. All these teams collapse five guys to the net, which means many blocked shots, no rebounds, missed nets and few quality scoring chances. Things have changed from the 80s when, for example, excellent goalies like Grant Fuhr were basically abandoned by their teams. Fuhr was never going to have a decent goals agaisnt avaerage or even save percentage because other teams got plenty of high quality shots, but no doubt he was a fine goaiie. Goalies today are better trained for sure, but they are also much larger. Used to be the goalie was usally an acrobatic small guy, now they tend to be 6'5" tall and cover most of the net.

So I don't know if goalies are better- I doubt it- but the game has changed to make them look better.

I'm not quite sure about the numbers with the other guys but Smith was facing an ave. or 35 plus shots a game against Chi and they weren't shots from the blue line with no traffic. As much as everyone talks about Phx and their defensive style they allowed a lot of odd man rushes and their D isn't that great (other than Smith) and they can play very sloppy at times. Didn't Nashville outshoot them 16-1 in the third period of game 1?

Quick can also get peppered on a few shifts. He was tested against Van for sure.

King Henrik's and Holtby's teammates have been blocking a lot of shots but there have been a few others that deserve the praise they are getting.

Edited by j44