Tennessee: Holding hands is a gateway to sex

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

I think Tennessee should go a step further and add "birth" to things that can lead to sex... no sense leaving anything out at all.

People should know ALL of the gateway activities!

Once again. The title of this thread is misleading as "Tennessee" has not said that hand holding is a gateway to sex; that is simply some people's interpretation of the bill.

Once again. The title of this thread is misleading as "Tennessee" has not said that hand holding is a gateway to sex; that is simply some people's interpretation of the bill.

Then what is? If they are legislating against "it", shouldn't they define "it"?

I know that's how it's presented in the media, and while there's some truth to it, it's not exactly the total picture either. California, for example, is among the top 10 states with the highest teen pregnancy rates - while Tennessee is not.

It's not presented in the media, because what you say is not true! Lol

Tennessee is #9. California is #15.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

Why not let parents be responsible to teach their kids about sex? Why is this kind of thing left up to the state? Because when you do, this type of shit happens.

Parents take back control of your children and don't put up with this crap.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/nj_principal_who_told_students_2.html

Blackmore caused an uproar in March when he told his more than 900 students thet they were in a "no hugging school" because of some "incidents of unsuitable, physical interactions."

School Superintendent David Healy said at the time that the district has the responsibility to teach children about appropriate interactions. But he said no one would be disciplined for hugging.

Maybe this next one should be in the 'Florida' thread.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/brevard_news/110311-students-suspended-for-hugging

PALM BAY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - A hug can brighten your day. It's so popular, there has even been a hug campaign around the world. But the gesture got some Palm Bay Southwest Middle School students into big trouble.

"I thought it was the most bizarre thing I've ever heard," said Nancy Crescente, the mother of 14-year-old Nickolas Martinez. "We're a cultural family and this is what we do."

Crescente said both her son and the 14-year-old girl who was the recipient of the hug were suspended. She says she wasn't notified about the suspensions until afterwards.

"They said this is what they do across the board, it is what it is. And that was that."

School administrators said a committee of parents approved the "no hugging" policy years ago, and there aren't plans to change it any time soon.

Edited by GostHacked

Guest American Woman
Dear Tennessee

My bare forearm once rubbed up against the bare forearm of another man

Does this mean I'm gay?

Dear TheNewTeddy,

Once again I feel compelled to repeat that it's not Tennessee saying that holding hands is a gateway to sex. Tennessee is not putting out all the hyperbole. Once again I will point out that it is only some people's interpretation of the bill.

Sincerely,

American Woman

Guest American Woman

It's not presented in the media, because what you say is not true! Lol

Tennessee is #9. California is #15.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/USTPtrends.pdf

For that year, that study (which, btw, includes estimated numbers of pregnancies ending in miscarriage or stillbirth, so I question the accuracy of the reality), Tennessee is 9 and California is 15; other studies, other years, show different results. I was looking at earlier stats. In 2010, Tennessee fell to #10, as their rate of teen pregnancy fell in accordance with the rest of the country, in spite of their sex education classes stressing abstinence.

But here's the thing - sex education isn't the only factor in teen pregnancy rates, so as I said, the claim being made doesn't tell the whole sotry.

Other studies, other claims, say that low income is a factor, while others say that wide income discrepancies is a factor, as others still say that the rate of teen pregnancy is higher among Blacks and Hispanics. In New Hampshire, for example, the state with the lowest teen pregnancy rate, Blacks make up 1% of the population compared to 17% in Tennessee. I would say that overall income is also more of a factor in Tennessee. Yet the headlines say it's because of "abstinence being taught in sex education."

As I said, those headlines are not exactly taking into account the total picture.

And how is that the State's problem?

You could make the same argument against education in general. Learned people decided long ago that certain burdens on society could be reduced with an educated populace. They experimented with a novel concept called public education whereby all children would learn things that it was to everyone's benefit that they know, and they even made it illegal to not send your kids to school. :o

Edited by BubberMiley

Dear TheNewTeddy,

Once again I feel compelled to repeat that it's not Tennessee saying that holding hands is a gateway to sex. Tennessee is not putting out all the hyperbole. Once again I will point out that it is only some people's interpretation of the bill.

Sincerely,

American Woman

Can you inform us as to what acts constitute a "gateway to sex" act?

You could make the same argument against education in general. Learned people decided long ago that certain burdens on society could be reduced with an educated populace. They experimented with a novel concept called public education whereby all children would learn things that it was to everyone's benefit that they know, and they even made it illegal to not send your kids to school. :o

If parents want to homeschool their children, they should have the option to. They should not be punished for it. I probably could have benefited from homeschooling... I did not do very well in high school.

Guest American Woman

If parents want to homeschool their children, they should have the option to. They should not be punished for it. I probably could have benefited from homeschooling... I did not do very well in high school.

Where aren't parents allowed to homeschool their children? How are they punished for it?

Where aren't parents allowed to homeschool their children? How are they punished for it?

Look up truancy laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truancy

Truancy is any intentional unauthorized or illegal absence from compulsory schooling. The term describes absences caused by students of their own free will, and usually does not refer to legitimate "excused" absences, such as ones related to medical conditions. The term's exact meaning differs from school to school, and is usually explicitly defined in the school's handbook of policies and procedures.[citation needed] It has no relation to homeschooling, although sometimes parents who practice homeschooling have been charged with this.[1]

Guest American Woman

Look up truancy laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truancy

Parents who homeschool are expected to actually teach their children and the children are expected to put in school time at home. Did you read the source you cited? The charge is for parents who allow their children to be truant from school, claim they are going to homeschool them, and then don't. I certainly agree that parents who homeschool should be held to certain standards. Do you disagree?

Parents who homeschool are expected to actually teach their children and the children are expected to put in school time at home. Did you read the source you cited? The charge is for parents who allow their children to be truant from school, claim they are going to homeschool them, and then don't.

Sure some people will take advantage of anything when they can. Most good people don't.

I certainly agree that parents who homeschool should be held to certain standards. Do you disagree?

Sure, as long as home schooled children can pass the government state run school tests, then there is no problem.