Preston Manning vs Ed Broadbent

PNP Debate  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When Broadbent openly supported Brian Topp, suggesting that a vote for Mulcair was somehow anti-NDP, I reckoned that Broadbent was becoming senile.

I figured he over estimated the influence he has on the party. I even wondered whether he was humiliated that his opinion was cast aside.

I figured he over estimated the influence he has on the party. I even wondered whether he was humiliated that his opinion was cast aside.

No, its vintage Ed Broadbent and vintage Democratic Party activity. Ed has always spoken his mind, and never tried to hide behind a false veneer. That is why people like him, cause he said what he thought. Some people are confusing the former leader as a person who was perfect or infallable, when infact, Ed behaved more like a normal person and not like a politician, in how we understand them to talk alot and say nothing. So, no Ed hasn't humiliated himself... infact, he hasn't changed a bit. That is what makes this debate so interesting. Two people with strong policy perspectives who actually speak their minds. Unless you believe that Preston Manning really wanted the Canadian Alliance to choose Stockwell Day over him.... and that he "Humiliated Himself". I would say that Mulcairs leadership of the NDP is likely to be a better performance then that which occurred under Stockwell day.

Eds Influence was the same as it was in the 70s and 80s, he was popular cause he said what he meant, he was often 2nd guessed or not followed...but he was always appreciated for his candidness and passion.

I think the same can be said for Manning.

I think both men and the institutions they have created are a good thing for Canadians.

Eds Influence was the same as it was in the 70s and 80s, he was popular cause he said what he meant, he was often 2nd guessed or not followed...but he was always appreciated for his candidness and passion.

I think the same can be said for Manning.

I think both men and the institutions they have created are a good thing for Canadians.

Thanks for your perspective madmax. It helped clarify a misconception I had of Broadbent.

I respect Manning more than I do Broadbent, but I agree with the latter that the former is fudging the numbers.

I'd say Manning. He seems more reasonable generally.

They both seem like class acts and originals. I far prefer Broadbent to Mulcair.

Boring.

Nothing new from either of them. Both are "principled", which means they never have to think about a position, just repeat all the same old same old.

Then you don't know either of them or eithers history. Manning in Particular is a Policy Wonk who puts policy and principle above spin and KNOWS how to defend a position with LOGIC and sound reasoning. His views on debating and his dream of debating policy in the house of commons did not happen with the Conservatives( Or anyone else) as he wished it would have. But he can debate, his only real weakness is that he has a squeaky voice.

Broadbent can also make a case for his views and has a passion that..can make it or break it... and I would imagine, he still thinks he can do it..but I wonder... if he hasn't lost a step when it comes to a formal debate.

When Ed Returned to the House after nearly 20years away, he was Shocked at how disgraceful question period had become...

I would be more then willing to listen to Manning... and I know he has alot more to add to the equation as times have changed and there might even be more of an audience for his ideas then when he was leader.

I would think the pressure is on Ed Broadbent...

I think its risky... we may find out this week if there is any takers...

I think its great publicity for both organizations....

Edited by madmax

No, its vintage Ed Broadbent and vintage Democratic Party activity. Ed has always spoken his mind, and never tried to hide behind a false veneer.
I disagree.

Ed Broadbent was a mediocre, leftist university professor who went union when it was still possible in the 1970s. He was no David Lewis.

Mulroney bought Broadbent (using taxpayer money) with the federal Rights & Democracy bureaucracy that Harper rightfully put out of its misery.

I suppose Ed Broadbent is a nice person. But so was Flora MacDonald, Sergio Marchi and myriad other Canadian politicians who accepted sinecures. In Canada as elsewhere, it's a business. I call it "troughing".

Edited by August1991

I disagree.

Ed Broadbent was a mediocre, leftist university professor who went union when it was still possible in the 1970s.

He certainly was.. he was a waffle if I read correctly. I said he had passion, I said he spoke his mind...I didn't say, in any of these threads that Ed was the bar of perfection. That is why the debate is so interesting to me..

He was no David Lewis.

We have to have a debate with people who are still alive ;)

I suppose Ed Broadbent is a nice person. But so was Flora MacDonald, Sergio Marchi and myriad other Canadian politicians who accepted sinecures. In Canada as elsewhere, it's a business. I call it "troughing".

At least it wasn't the Senate.

Now.. you got one person sized up..

Lets here your thoughts on Manning B)