Obama vs Romney - POTUS 2012

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess the American public can deiced at the ballot box but his own father would be wondering what he was hiding today as he did of all politicians who refuse to release their tax returns.

Give it a rest...his father is quite dead. Do you think the American public waits impatiently for candidate tax returns each election cycle over other factors? Tax returns are private, or do you not respect such things?

McCain went with the person that was thought would give his ticket an edge, as I said. Romney's tax returns had absolutely nothing to do with it. Wanting to win had everything to do with it.

Punked is in full on political mode. Using logic and reason with him is an exercise in futility. He forgets that the IRS sees Romney's tax returns every year, in full detail. :rolleyes:

Edited by Shady

Give it a rest...his father is quite dead. Do you think the American public waits impatiently for candidate tax returns each election cycle over other factors? Tax returns are private, or do you not respect such things?

Nothing seems to be below punked these days. Is there such thing as Romney Derangement Syndrome yet? If not, he might be the first case of it.

Guest American Woman

Punked is in full on political mode. Using logic and reason with him is an exercise in futility. He forgets that the IRS sees Romney's tax returns every year, in full detail. :rolleyes:

How does the IRS seeing Romney's returns help the public?

Guest American Woman

Oh good we are having the discussion I wanted to have lets continue.

There's really not much more to say. He's released enough of his tax returns to satisfy the 'requirement' but not enough to dispel all of the questions that some have. I seriously doubt that he will be releasing any more, and of course the logical conclusion to his refusal is that he feels there's something in them that might not sit well with everyone, so this will either be an issue for him or the voters at large will have more pressing concerns.

As for his wealth perhaps being greater than what he'd like the public to be aware of, wealth sure didn't hurt the Kennedys politically. I do think there are more pressing matters, so he will either come across as what the people want - or he won't. I'm guessing the latter.

There's really not much more to say. He's released enough of his tax returns to satisfy the 'requirement' but not enough to dispel all of the questions that some have. I seriously doubt that he will be releasing any more, and of course the logical conclusion to his refusal is that he feels there's something in them that might not sit well with everyone, so this will either be an issue for him or the voters at large will have more pressing concerns.

As for his wealth perhaps being greater than what he'd like the public to be aware of, wealth sure didn't hurt the Kennedys politically. I do think there are more pressing matters, so he will either come across as what the people want - or he won't. I'm guessing the latter.

He released one tax return from a year where he knew he was running for election. During his Senate race he called on Kennedy to release his asking what he was hiding even though he didn't release a tax return in that run either. A man whose father asks what he is hiding, a man who has in past said someone who doesn't release their returns is hiding something doesn't release his returns. He has basically admitted he is hiding something.

Guest American Woman

He released one tax return from a year where he knew he was running for election. During his Senate race he called on Kennedy to release his asking what he was hiding even though he didn't release a tax return in that run either. A man whose father asks what he is hiding, a man who has in past said someone who doesn't release their returns is hiding something doesn't release his returns. He has basically admitted he is hiding something.

I basically agree with all that you're saying here. As I said, it will either hurt him, or the voters at large won't consider it enough of a pressing issue/concern. He could suffer repercussions.

I basically agree with all that you're saying here. As I said, it will either hurt him, or the voters at large won't consider it enough of a pressing issue/concern. He could suffer repercussions.

I agree don't know it will stick but if he keeps ignoring the media they are going to start hammering him just to print something then this issue will become much bigger.

How does the IRS seeing Romney's returns help the public?

It's actually none of the public's business. But it definitely is business of the IRS. All the public really needs to know is that they all meet the legality of current tax law, and the law in general.

All people like punked want to do is use his tax returns as a political football. "Hey look, he's rich, don't vote for him!" It classic class warfare and the politics of jealousy and resentment. That's the new substitute for the old hope n change.

Guest American Woman

I agree don't know it will stick but if he keeps ignoring the media they are going to start hammering him just to print something then this issue will become much bigger.

The thing is, if he does release them, whatever's in them might raise issues; if he doesn't release them, that might raise issues. Either way, I'm thinking he will have to answer to it, but by not releasing them, he's leaving it all to 'speculation,' which is, I would think, easier to deal with than something real and concrete would be. He can always downplay the Democrats' speculation as a desperate-they-have-nothing-on-me-so-they're-making-an-issue-out-of-this tactic.

Guest American Woman

It's actually none of the public's business.

That's for the public to decide.

But it definitely is business of the IRS. All the public really needs to know is that they all meet the legality of current tax law, and the law in general.

The public needs to know whatever they feel they need to know, as they will vote accordingly.

All people like punked want to do is use his tax returns as a political football. "Hey look, he's rich, don't vote for him!" It classic class warfare and the politics of jealousy and resentment. That's the new substitute for the old hope n change.

As I said, wealth didn't hurt the Kennedys politically, but if some want to know how Romney listed his wealth and how he invested it, what he paid taxes on, they have that right. They have the right to ask for whatever information they feel is important regarding their vote. Some on both sides make a big deal about whether the candidate is someone who can relate to the people and their problems, and that might be a bigger factor in this economy than it would be in other elections - or the voters at large might have more pressing concerns. Time will tell. But the public does have a right to ask for more returns, especially in light of the big deal some politicians have made of requiring it in the past.

It's actually none of the public's business. But it definitely is business of the IRS. All the public really needs to know is that they all meet the legality of current tax law, and the law in general.

Yes Old George Romney the Class warrior. Oh and Mitt Romney 1994 who called on Kennedy to release his returns. I guess that was before he ech-a-sketched or is if flipping and flopping. Wait till the Dems cut an add with Mitt and his Father hammering Mitt on his tax returns.

That's for the public to decide.

I agree.

As I said, wealth didn't hurt the Kennedys politically, but if some want to know how Romney listed his wealth and how he invested it, what he paid taxes on, they have that right.

That's actually not a right.

They have the right to ask for whatever information they feel is important regarding their vote.

That definitely is a right. They do have the right to ask for whatever information they feel is important.

Yes Old George Romney the Class warrior. Oh and Mitt Romney 1994 who called on Kennedy to release his returns. I guess that was before he ech-a-sketched or is if flipping and flopping. Wait till the Dems cut an add with Mitt and his Father hammering Mitt on his tax returns.

He has released tax returns. But again, the only reason why people like you want him to release more, is to use it as a political football. It's envy, jealous and resentment in the place of the old hope n change. "Hey look, he's rich, don't vote for him!" :rolleyes:

Guest American Woman
That's actually not a right.

It most certainly is. They have that right in the U.S.; he has the right not to respond, but whoever is so inclined has the right to ask.

That definitely is a right. They do have the right to ask for whatever information they feel is important.

Yes, they do; and if they feel as if how Romney listed his wealth and how he invested it and what amount he paid taxes on is important, they have the right to ask about it - so actually, what you're saying here is in direct conflict with your previous claim of "that's actually not a right."

He has released tax returns. But again, the only reason why people like you want him to release more, is to use it as a political football.

"People like [me]?" I don't recall giving my take on it. <_<

But of course people want to use it as a "political football." This is, after all, about politics. It's what both sides do in an election.

It's envy, jealous and resentment in the place of the old hope n change. "Hey look, he's rich, don't vote for him!" :rolleyes:

Nooooo. How he listed his wealth, how he invested it, how much he paid taxes on are legitimate concerns regarding someone who is expected to act on our behalf - in some of those areas, no less.

Your dismissing it as "envy, jealously, and resentment" actually kinda says to me that you think he does have something in his returns that wouldn't sit well with the voters. As I said, it's a legitimate concern for those who would like to see more returns, and it has nothing to do with "envy et al." Quite frankly, if the Romney campaign tries to dismiss it that way, they can kiss any chance of winning goodbye.

He has released tax returns. But again, the only reason why people like you want him to release more, is to use it as a political football. It's envy, jealous and resentment in the place of the old hope n change. "Hey look, he's rich, don't vote for him!" :rolleyes:

Look a Lie. He has released Tax return is how that should read because there was one ONE RELEASED. Not only that he then refused to answer questions the media brought up about that one tax return h released in a year he knew he was going to be running for an election.

Again old class Warrior George Romney said "You must release more then one year of returns, because one year that could be a fluke" then he went on to release 12 years of returns. Mitt Romney 94 called on Kennedy to release more then one year of returns as well that was before he ech-a-sketched.