Craig Scott wins the bi election!

We all knew that this would be a hard one for the liberals to pull off.

But what we can all read into this one is "what happened to the conservative vote?"

Where did the conservative vote go?

You heard the saying "Once you go black you never go back"?

Well it looks like "Once you go conservative,you go staight back to the liberals"!

HAAA!

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems as though the Liberals were very good at getting their voters to the polling station, the only problem is the number of voters for them in Toronto Danforth has dropped of substantially.

Actually it looks like the overall turnout is very low!

Perhaps the unusual summer weather has a negative influence.

WWWTT

I'm sure that Canada is no different to the UK in that sense that by-elections always give a chance for the dissatisfied electorate to give a snub at the government. During the GE the same people may return to their old voting habits.

I'm sure that Canada is no different to the UK in that sense that by-elections always give a chance for the dissatisfied electorate to give a snub at the government. During the GE the same people may return to their old voting habits.

The Conservatives never really ran a campaign here anyway, and have not been competitive in the riding in decades.

During the GE the same people may return to their old voting habits.

Bad news for the liberals and good for the conservatives.

But if the liberals can turn things around and bring their vote back from the conservatives then the NDP can run up the middle to form government!

WWWTT

Actually it looks like the overall turnout is very low!

Perhaps the unusual summer weather has a negative influence.

WWWTT

Turnout isn't really that low considering it's a by-election. My point is that the Liberals will have roughly the same amount of voters as May while the NDP will be down more than 10,000. The NDPs support has obviously risen a good bit here though seeing they usually only averaged 40 odd percent in the riding.

Ya I guess we can't look too much into this be-election.

But what gets me is the dismall conservative turnout.And this must have the conservatives very concerned.

They were only able to get a majority without signifigant support from Quebec because of the strong support from Ontario.

If they start losing support in Ontario to the liberals and the NDP take support away in BC,Sask.,Manitoba and the Atlantic provinces they will find them selves in opposition come next general election.

Anyways there will be more bi-elections in the future.

WWWTT

But what gets me is the dismall conservative turnout.And this must have the conservatives very concerned.

They were only able to get a majority without signifigant support from Quebec because of the strong support from Ontario.

If they start losing support in Ontario to the liberals and the NDP take support away in BC,Sask.,Manitoba and the Atlantic provinces they will find them selves in opposition come next general election.

WWWTT

NDP/Bloc coalition government?

Where did the conservative vote go?
WWWTT, you raise a good question. Why do urban ridings tend to go NDP/Liberal?

I reckon that urbanites tend to follow fads/fashion and we live in an era where "the Left" is the fad. Indeed, the term "progressive" is synonym for "fashionable".

For urbanites, Conservatives are simply not cool. It would be like wearing Uggs now.

----

From what I understand, this riding used to be Liberal under Dennis Mills. Then it went to the NDP under Layton. (What's the difference, really? Miller? Layton?)

And now it is represented by, if I understand correctly, a 50 year old law professor. I know nothing about this guy Craig Scott. But think for a second what it means to be a 50 year old law professor who is still a leftist. The guy discovered one truth when he was 22 years old, and he hasn't discovered anything else about life since then.

I recently read that a true measure of IQ is the ability to adapt to changing situations. A 50 year old leftist in 21st century Canada strikes me as very far from "progressive".

Edited by August1991

WWWTT, you raise a good question. Why do urban ridings tend to go NDP/Liberal?

I reckon that urbanites tend to follow fads/fashion and we live in an era where "the Left" is the fad. Indeed, the term "progressive" is synonym for "fashionable".

For urbanites, Conservatives are simply not cool. It would be like wearing Uggs now.

Ok then explain why the province of Saskatchewan voted 32.4% for the NDP?

How about rural northern Ontario?Rural Quebec?

How about the dozens and dozens and dozens of other Canadian rural seats that voted the NDP to second place?

WWWTT

NDP/Bloc coalition government?

If the Bloc make a big enough comeback they'll be dealing with the Liberals, not the NDP. Unless they try a 2008 coalition type of arrangement.

I was really surprised that the Greens were so close to the Conservatives. I was also impressed with the percentage the Liberals got. Much higher than in May 2011.

Northern Ontario, the mines/lumber mills and the unions in short. The NDP candidate tends to be the only ones who show up to support the workers at events.

In my hometown it looked like Charlie Angus would lose over the gun registry but he still wound up winning.

It's almost like the 14% of the electorate who voted for the CPC last year didn't know or care about voting in this by-election!

But hey, let's draw conclusions about the entire 2015 federal election based off of the deceased Jack Layton's riding!

Edited by CPCFTW

It's almost like the 14% of the electorate who voted for the CPC last year didn't know or care about voting in this by-election!

But hey, let's draw conclusions about the entire 2015 federal election based off of the deceased Jack Layton's riding!

It would bound to happen given its profile, but I agree. Also, the CPC, before 2011, usually averaged between 5-10% in this riding. 2011 was considered a watershed for their support here.

Edited by UofGPolitico

WWWTT

Unless there is some economic miracle in Ontario I doubt the Cons will retain their support.

More like the provincial liberals won't retain their support.

I imagine if the PCs and NDP force an election it'll be another minority one way or another. Maybe a PC one, but still a minority.

Ok then explain why the province of Saskatchewan voted 32.4% for the NDP?
And 65% (or so) voted Tory. If I'm not wrong, all federal Saskatchewan MPs are Conservative.

How about the dozens and dozens and dozens of other Canadian rural seats that voted the NDP to second place?

Quebec, Sudbury. OK.

But in general, rural English Canada is Conservative. As to rural Quebec, I think that federal NDP MPs should think about why they won.