So Toronto Librarians are on Strike

Boges

The degree that they will be missed or not and by how many will indeed prove something.

Obvious to anyone is the lessening need of so many libraries with the availability of the inter-net.

It's not obvious at all, actually. In fact, libraries are busier than ever. For example, the New York public library system recorded its highest number of visits in a century last year.

Reducing superfluous branches, staff, or minimally used services. Certainly libraries will be needed for some time yet, and, they have expanded their services. Still, even users say there seem to be too many within their walking distance.

"Too many" is a completely meaningless term.

According to the TPL, 18.5 million people visit the city’s 98 branches to borrow over 32 million items each year, making it the world’s busiest urban library system. With all the daily upkeep of this massive infrastructure the library manages to get best-selling books on the shelves of its many branches, often within one day of release

In 2009, the library had 17.5 million visitors. In 2010, it was up to 18 million. That hardly speaks to the decline you claim is taking place now does it?

Edited by Black Dog

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that being a librarian is as cushy as it seems. There is actually post-graduate studies required to be a librarian, just as there is for teachers, doctors, and lawyers.

:lol: getting a doctorate or masters in Library studies. Golf course management diplomas think that's hilarious.

I've often wondered why there are not standard designs available for schools, libraries and such other edifices that are available for repeated application dependent on the size required and the location.

There are basic components of these buildings that are essentially repeated over and over. However, how they're arranged, how many there are, what they're clad in, etc., depends on context and client need. Plus, nobody wants to live in an absolutely uniform world.

Set up every school as library as well if need be.

It's actually quite common for a library or a community centre with a library in it to be built next to a school or where a school is slated to be built. We've also done buildings that are school and community centre (with library, pool, gym, etc.) all under one roof.

There are basic components of these buildings that are essentially repeated over and over. However, how they're arranged, how many there are, what they're clad in, etc., depends on context and client need. Plus, nobody wants to live in an absolutely uniform world.

It's actually quite common for a library or a community centre with a library in it to be built next to a school or where a school is slated to be built. We've also done buildings that are school and community centre (with library, pool, gym, etc.) all under one roof.

In other parts of Ontario, to save money, they allow school libraries to be used by the public. I'm sure this union that's striking now would rage against that.

None but to compare the skills needed to run a library to that of being a lawyer, teacher and/or doctor is rather humourous to me.

Nobody made such a comparison. I would think that you'd want to be sure you are free of any such basic errors in comprehension before deriding the professional abilities of anyone else.

Of course, again your view of librarians seems to come from 1950's Archie comics so I shouldn't expect much in the way of honest analysis.

I'm not sure that being a librarian is as cushy as it seems. There is actually post-graduate studies required to be a librarian, just as there is for teachers, doctors, and lawyers.

You jumped in and started using "chushy" after I asked for a definition, so I guess you know what it means ?

I have a sense that other people's jobs are cushy but never ours...

Nobody made such a comparison. I would think that you'd want to be sure you are free of any such basic errors in comprehension before deriding the professional abilities of anyone else.

Of course, again your view of librarians seems to come from 1950's Archie comics so I shouldn't expect much in the way of honest analysis.

Ok then provide me with some insight into the complexities of the job description.

Ok then provide me with some insight into the complexities of the job description.

Hmm... I didn't profess to having any more insight than anyone else. However, in my interactions and observations as a library user it seems obvious that there's more to the job than "shushing rowdy kids". For example, there's program development, information technology components, records management, that sort of thing.

In other parts of Ontario, to save money, they allow school libraries to be used by the public.

I believe that's essentially the case in those complexes I mentioned that have school and community centre together in one building; the athletic facilities and library in the community centre are used by the students as an extention of the school. Likewise, the school auditorium is used for community theatre, etc. It's a pretty good model.

I'm sure this union that's striking now would rage against that.

Likely. Unless some deal could be struck wherein the union members could be guaranteed jobs in these school/community libraries.

[ed.: sp]

Edited by g_bambino

Hmm... I didn't profess to having any more insight than anyone else. However, in my interactions and observations as a library user it seems obvious that there's more to the job than "shushing rowdy kids". For example, there's program development, information technology components, records management, that sort of thing.

Sure it's not a job that anyone can do like flipping burgers or running a till. But it's not to the level of the other professional careers listed.

Listen Libraries are fine places but they are hardly essential to our society. Evidence of this would be to look at the Toronto Star website and see what value the strike is being given. It's only four days old. I'm guessing if the inside workers strike on Saturday or had the outside workers gone on strike it would be a hot topic among the Toronto media even four days later.

I believe the reason Libraries are popular is because they provide a service that would otherwise cost money for free. Internet access, renting movies or buying books.

I wonder what the difference is between going to a library and borrowing a book or DVD and going onto piratebay.org and stealing it. Either way the content provider is stiffed out of compensation.

Sure it's not a job that anyone can do like flipping burgers or running a till. But it's not to the level of the other professional careers listed.

Which is again why no one said they were.

Listen Libraries are fine places but they are hardly essential to our society.Evidence of this would be to look at the Toronto Star website and see what value the strike is being given. It's only four days old. I'm guessing if the inside workers strike on Saturday or had the outside workers gone on strike it would be a hot topic among the Toronto media even four days later

Non-essential to the functioning of society is not the same thing as being unimportant or irrelevant.

I believe the reason Libraries are popular is because they provide a service that would otherwise cost money for free. Internet access, renting movies or buying books.

Um. Duh? They provide a service that a lot of people would not avail themselves of were it not free. That's a good thing.

I wonder what the difference is between going to a library and borrowing a book or DVD and going onto piratebay.org and stealing it. Either way the content provider is stiffed out of compensation.

Nonsense. Libraries must receive the Right to Distribute or else they'd get sued.

Edited by Black Dog

Sucks for them.

They should find a way to get Atwood as a spokesperson.

It's funny, when the Ford Bros wanted to close a few under performing Libraries or cut their hours a bit Margaret Atwood freaked.

Where is she now that 100% of the libraries are closed 100% of the time?

Are you ok with other people characterizing you as a dolt who deserves minimum wage ?

When people start talking about value of work, it's amazing how much they seem to value their own merits.

I've noticed it's almost always the free marketeers doing this...