So Toronto Librarians are on Strike

Boges

98 Libraries in Toronto are closed. (Yes you read right, they have 98 of them!)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/03/19/toronto-library-strike.html

Margaret Atwood must be pissed. Think of all the people that won't be able to read because of this strike. :rolleyes:

Now people who can't afford their own internet can't post on Twitter. This is a crisis!!!

You'd think Management could keep a few of them open. How hard is it to re-stock bookshelves and shhh rowdy kids?

Edited by Boges

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Peeves

Not good for the uni/college students who use the computers. Old people and children rely on them too

Like the Post Office, stay out too long and other sources will be found to replace their service. Then only half as many will be needed.

Edited by Peeves

98 Libraries in Toronto are closed. (Yes you read right, they have 98 of them!)

98 libraries for 2.5 million people. That's one library for every 25,510 people.

Fredericton with a population of 50535 has two primary libraries and a mobile library truck.

Windsor, ON has 216000 people and 10 libraries.

98 libraries for 2.5 million people. That's one library for every 25,510 people.

Fredericton with a population of 50535 has two primary libraries and a mobile library truck.

New York City doesn't even have 98. I've heard people say on the radio that they live within walkin distance from multiple libraries. The Toronto system is apparently the largest in the world.

New York City doesn't even have 98. I've heard people say on the radio that they live within walkin distance from multiple libraries. The Toronto system is apparently the largest in the world.

Maybe they do have the largest in the world, but per capita they have the same number of libraries as other cities in Canada.

I wouldn't compare the library system in Toronto the the one in NY either. The United States isn't exactly the model of education we want to emulating, as they consistently rank below Canada in the PISA scores.

(BC and AmWo in 3... 2... 1...)

Edited by cybercoma

Maybe they do have the largest in the world, but per capita they have the same number of libraries as other cities in Canada.

I wouldn't compare the library system in Toronto the the one in NY either. The United States isn't exactly the model of education we want to emulating, as they consistently rank below Canada in the PISA scores.

(BC and AmWo in 3... 2... 1...)

New York is a pretty Liberal city.

I'd like to see a study that links Number of Libraries per capital with education level. A lot of people use Libraries for free DVDs and Internet.

And?

Well cybercoma was trying to compare education levels to the number of Libraries that are available. Using the internet and borrowing DVDs doesn't really contribute to one's education.

Especially considering every public school I've been to has its own library.

Guest Peeves

Apples and pears. Just use the number that use the libraries not the whole friggin world.

Many in TO have indicated 3 within their walking distance!

Well cybercoma was trying to compare education levels to the number of Libraries that are available. Using the internet and borrowing DVDs doesn't really contribute to one's education.

Why not?

I'm not gonna fight on this hill that hard anyway: libraries aren't part of the education system, but they do supplement it and perform other community service functions to boot.

Why not?

I'm not gonna fight on this hill that hard anyway: libraries aren't part of the education system, but they do supplement it and perform other community service functions to boot.

They do, the last time I used a Library was when I was in College. I remember using Mircofiche. Anyone remember Microfiche?

But I rarely used a public Library. Occasionally in High school because the really big one near Square One in Mississauga is good. But I had to get on a bus and go there. In Toronto you barely have to walk a few blocks before you get to a Library.

Again: and?

The number of libraries doesn't really tell us anything. It's a question of utilization.

And how utilized are Toronto libraries exactly? I'm pretty sure each library doesn't have 25k people using it.

Let's face it, libraries are a relic now with the internet age. Just fire all the librarians, sell off the libraries, and give people on social assistance a cheap laptop, free internet, and a monthly stipend to spend on Amazon (books only). B)

Edited by CPCFTW

Odd... The firm I work at keeps winning design competitions for new recreation centres that include... public libraries.

Ooooh a design competition for recreation centres that include public libraries!! I stand corrected! :lol:

In other news, the firm I work for keeps winning design competitions for tropical resorts that include... shuffleboard tables. Clearly shuffleboard is more popular than ever!!

Guest Peeves

Ooooh a design competition for recreation centres that include public libraries!! I stand corrected! :lol:

In other news, the firm I work for keeps winning design competitions for tropical resorts that include... shuffleboard tables. Clearly shuffleboard is more popular than ever!!

Speaking of design.

I've often wondered why there are not standard designs available for schools, libraries and such other edifices that are available for repeated application dependent on the size required and the location.

Surely basic plans might be established rather than a new design in each case.

Why keep inventing the wheel?

They could use the same layout for size and need (as do a Wall Mart or Canadian Tire)of building. They're pretty basic structures.

As for how many? Why any at all? Set up every school as library as well if need be. Schools are central certainly.

Schools are vacant for months and days on end. Use them and close the separate buildings.

It might take a few years to implement, but it's workable.

Edited by Peeves

Guest Peeves

You tell me since you are the one implying they are underutilized.

Prove it.

The degree that they will be missed or not and by how many will indeed prove something.

Obvious to anyone is the lessening need of so many libraries with the availability of the inter-net.

Reducing superfluous branches, staff, or minimally used services. Certainly libraries will be needed for some time yet, and, they have expanded their services. Still, even users say there seem to be too many within their walking distance.

According to the TPL, 18.5 million people visit the city’s 98 branches to borrow over 32 million items each year, making it the world’s busiest urban library system. With all the daily upkeep of this massive infrastructure the library manages to get best-selling books on the shelves of its many branches, often within one day of release.