Banning Smoking in Public Parks?

Boges

I feel I'm kinda expert on smoking since I've had smokers around all my life. First, having my spouse being treated for cancer caused by smoking, one has their eyes open when you go into a cancer hospital and see all the people being treated for cancer some make some don't and they are all ages. My spouse was lucky because he caught early, by accident visiting our family doctor on another matter. MY spouses was so scared of dying that within four months, he had quit smoking with he help of the patch and Zyban, which can become addictive and help him loses 25 lbs. The stress level are very high, its was a 4 hour ride, parking was 5-10$ daily, money worries were high, and the chemo and radiation treatment were exhausting and it was winter drivng. My point ot all of this that there's more to cancer than the disease itself. The addiction for some is high, some can't quit, a woman I know had treatment 9x, before the treatment finally killed her. If the government doesn't want to make tobacco an illegal substance, then they should make the tobacco companies ONLY put tobacco in the cigarettes and cigars and NO additives that hook the smokers. Myself and my spouse can't stand the smell, my eyes water and my nose burns, my spouse, he keeps remembering all the people who died, when he was getting treatment and he didn't.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a known fact that long exposure to high decible levels of noise will hurt and degrade your hearing over time. People think this is new? Why do you think people wear ear protection in certain jobs?

Of course this is well known to the public now but we're talking about a time when this information was new to the public. Like I said when did you start seeing ear protection in shop classes at school?

Like the tobacco industry it appears that within in the industry of noise amplification it was well known their product was harming a largely unaware public and in particular it's younger generations.

I'm not saying we should shut down bands playing in bars but would it hurt them to remind people that the loud noise they produce can be harmful? According the WB yes, apparently. It appears that warning people is perceived to be like negative advertising that scares the public away and so it's better to just hurt them and then pretend it's the victim fault for the harm that's caused.

I mean it bugs me too that we have to go through all the chest pains and diarrhea it takes to have some sort of Nanny state to deal with this disregard for people's health but I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday rather than just leave it up to every man woman and child to protect themselves.

Responding to the ridiculous lengths that Nanny sometimes proposes with laissez faire thinking that goes to similarly ridiculous lengths is just plain dumb.

If the government doesn't want to make tobacco an illegal substance, then they should make the tobacco companies ONLY put tobacco in the cigarettes and cigars and NO additives that hook the smokers. Myself and my spouse can't stand the smell, my eyes water and my nose burns, my spouse, he keeps remembering all the people who died, when he was getting treatment and he didn't.

I smoke cigars, I've never felt addicted to them. I treat them like alcohol. They give you a bit of a buzz. You can't inhale the smoke from them so the only risk of cancer is tumors in the mouth.

I understand if you smoke a stogie everyday you can get addicted but that's the case with lots of stuff.

The cigars I smoke only appear to be rolled tobacco, there are no filters with toxins.

Of course this is well known to the public now but we're talking about a time when this information was new to the public. Like I said when did you start seeing ear protection in shop classes at school?

Like the tobacco industry it appears that within in the industry of noise amplification it was well known their product was harming a largely unaware public and in particular it's younger generations.

The reason your ears ring after loud concert or sounds is that your ears get tired after lenghty exposure to loud sounds. Part of the reason one keeps turning it up because as the night goes on, your ears are getting more tired, but the volume is increased to overcome that. Risking hearing loss.

Ear protection was not around in my day in school (80s) from what I can remember.

I'm not saying we should shut down bands playing in bars but would it hurt them to remind people that the loud noise they produce can be harmful? According the WB yes, apparently. It appears that warning people is perceived to be like negative advertising that scares the public away and so it's better to just hurt them and then pretend it's the victim fault for the harm that's caused.

I think they have warnings for rock concerts now on the tickets, suggesting ear protection.

I mean it bugs me too that we have to go through all the chest pains and diarrhea it takes to have some sort of Nanny state to deal with this disregard for people's health but I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday rather than just leave it up to every man woman and child to protect themselves.

Being informed is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Responding to the ridiculous lengths that Nanny sometimes proposes with laissez faire thinking that goes to similarly ridiculous lengths is just plain dumb.

The nanny state protects the idiots who can't think for themselves. Some warnings are needed because not everyone is aware of all the dangers. But the most common ones like 'fire will burn' should be a given and a warning not needed (unless you are a child). But again, there are idiots out there.

And you remember wearing ear protection anyway because you were a genius amongst a herd of idiots?

When you are a teenager, you know the warnings. You just don't take them seriously!

Adolescents are inundated with warnings! Virtually all them have to do with keeping you from having fun! So of course you ignore as many as you can get away with!

This is just human instinct, going back all the way to Pebbles Flintstone.

It is also a truism that most young people like their rock LOUD! If you insist on forcing the band to play at what some adults would consider a safe level, the kids will likely leave!

They would rather watch paint dry!

That's just the facts of life and no one here is going to change that.

When you are a teenager, you know the warnings. You just don't take them seriously!

Adolescents are inundated with warnings! Virtually all them have to do with keeping you from having fun! So of course you ignore as many as you can get away with!

It is also a truism that most young people like their rock LOUD! If you insist on forcing the band to play at what some adults would consider a safe level, the kids will likely leave!

That is well put

You expect the state to change by throwing up its hands like you don't you?

You expect the state to change by throwing up its hands like you don't you?

I don't consider the State either capable or morally suitable to make people's choices for them!

I have no respect for a nanny state because everyday I see overwhelming evidence that the state is just dumb, if not actually braindead! If it ever totally succeeds we will be totally cocooned and totally incapable of doing anything for ourselves or showing any trace of self-reliance and initiative.

We are raising generations of less and less capable human beings.

Okay, you've convinced me I'm all for giving total anarchy a try to.

I wonder if I'll even be able to tell the difference.

Okay, YOU make the claim that I'm supporting total anarchy!

Can I do the same for YOUR beliefs, Eyeball?

Okay, YOU make the claim that I'm supporting total anarchy!

Hah got ya...I'm just fishing for where your start point is at which you begin justifying state intervention in our lives.

Can I do the same for YOUR beliefs, Eyeball?

Sure why not. Just as a refresher, recall that I believe in total public awareness of every single thing the state is up to. And by total I mean TOTAL.

Hah got ya...I'm just fishing for where your start point is at which you begin justifying state intervention in our lives.

I think I remember WB advocating the death penalty recently which is the ultimate endorsement of the government as a moral arbitrar. Everybody wants to harness government to push their own ideas sometimes... people just pick their spots.

I think I remember WB advocating the death penalty recently which is the ultimate endorsement of the government as a moral arbitrar. Everybody wants to harness government to push their own ideas sometimes... people just pick their spots.

Not exactly, my good Dr.! I also advocate elected judges, which would give more direct popular control over such sentences.

This would dilute the power of a faceless government somewhat. Not perfect, I'll admit but still better than what we have.