The Green Party

Other than knowing that Elizabeth May is obnoxious I can't say I know a lot about the Green party. I would like to get to know their policies a bit more so I'm starting this thread. Maybe people can jump in and say what they like about the Greens and what they don't like. 

If you ever ask Elizabeth May about her party, even if it's a pointed question, she will point you to Vision Green. I find that pretty annoying. Imagine if all politicians answered questions about their party by saying, "read our platform."

That's exactly what Dion was doing when he was Liberal 'leader' and they asked him about the carbon tax. He would just tell people to go to the website and punch in the numbers. His staff must have been pulling their hair out.

Other than knowing that Elizabeth May is obnoxious I can't say I know a lot about the Green party. I would like to get to know their policies a bit more so I'm starting this thread. Maybe people can jump in and say what they like about the Greens and what they don't like. 

I like that they are another spot to vote for on the Ballot in the event that I completely disagree with all other options.

They are my protest vote.

If you ever ask Elizabeth May about her party, even if it's a pointed question, she will point you to Vision Green. I find that pretty annoying. Imagine if all politicians answered questions about their party by saying, "read our platform."

OTOH, imagine if all politicians just made everything up on the fly.

They don't have to make it up on the fly but they should be able to answer a specific policy question. This is especially true with party leaders and even more important when they are the only MP from their party.

No, but May looks like a slob

Why would we let an American be the leader of a relevant party?

It was just a joke anyway. I don't think we let her. The party members vote her in. I don't really see it being much of a problem. As far as I know she has lived here for a long time and has dual citizenship. It isn't like she is a foreign puppet or something.

It was just a joke anyway. I don't think we let her. The party members vote her in. I don't really see it being much of a problem. As far as I know she has lived here for a long time and has dual citizenship. It isn't like she is a foreign puppet or something.

I think it is.. she grew up an American, she left when she was 18 and became a Canadian at 24 I think I just read

she has not denounced her american citizenship .. so obviously she still considers herself american

If the Green party ever becomes a contender and she is the leader that is what the other parties will focus on

like Ignatief working around the world "he didnt come back for you"

I'd rather a Canadian be leaders of parties

Edited by olpfan1

I'm not sure what you're getting at. This seems to be a false dichotomy. Politicians could answer the questions asked of them or explain what's in their platforms, rather than telling potential voters to go read it themselves.

If the Green party ever becomes a contender and she is the leader that is what the other parties will focus on

like Ignatief working around the world "he didnt come back for you"

I don't doubt that for a minute. I personally don't spend time thinking about it though. And I didn't care for Ignatieff but it had nothing to do with all of his time abroad.

Dual citizens should not be allowed.. they should be required to renounce their citizenship

so that they belong to only one country

This would cause all kinds of tax problems for Canadians who make it big in show biz. I would guess that few other nations have as many "dual citizens" per capita than does Canada.

This would cause all kinds of tax problems for Canadians who make it big in show biz. I would guess that few other nations have as many "dual citizens" per capita than does Canada.

Yeah, too bad for them though, they abandoned their home country and are now making their own families

in the US I see no reason why they should keep Canadian citizenship

If I was making my life in a new country I'd revoke my Canadian citizenship.. but thats just me

I thought he was a British citizen as well.

I thought he was French. Didn't he live there for a while?

I would guess that few other nations have as many "dual citizens" per capita than does Canada.

I would guess it is very prevalent in Europe.