Metrication Canada; How is it working?

-TSS-

Airbus is the largest manufacturer,are they from America?

Bobardier is the third largest by the way,are they from America too?

Do your homework and find out what sizes are used for aircraft fasteners and tools. Then you will find out just what is "American".

In 1949, Canada, the UK and the US adopted the inch-based Unified Thread Standard (UTS), which was intended to replace, among others, the BS Whitworth and the US Sellers threads. A driver of this change was the problem resulting from lack of interchangeability of equipment among the Allies in the WW2. ISO metric threads have now replaced Unified in most industries around the world, but it would appear that US dominance of the aerospace industry has ensured that Unified maintains a presence there.)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wine cooler specifications from Canada Appliance Source, Toronto, Ontario:

Frigidaire CFBC46F5LS Built-In Undercounter Refrigerators 4.6 Cu.Ft. StaInless Door with Stainless Handle - 4 Adjustable Controls with Digital Display - Temperature range 32-50 degree F - Lock and Key

Dimensions

Height:                34"
Width:                 21 1/2"
Depth:                 22 1/4"
Depth w/Door Open:     43
Capacity (cubic feet): 4.6
Refrigerator Capacity (Cu. Ft.): 4.6
Freezer Capacity (Cu. Ft.): none
Side Air Clearance (in.): 1/8"
Top Air Clearance (in.): 1"
Back Air Clearance (in.): 1"

http://www.canadianappliance.ca/CFBC46F5LS.html

I was wondering what 0F even means as it must mean something as it is the base for the whole scale. I found out that the guy who invented the scale made the coldest temperature in his home city in Poland as the zero point of the scale. A bit artificial if I may say so.

I was wondering what 0F even means as it must mean something as it is the base for the whole scale. I found out that the guy who invented the scale made the coldest temperature in his home city in Poland as the zero point of the scale. A bit artificial if I may say so.

Ah, but it reflects humanist values, you see.:P

(Wikipedia gives a slightly different account: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit#History)

What are you even trying to argue? Frigidaire is an American company.

Almost everything he's linking to is a result of our closely knit economies. US products, or companies that deal heavily with them.

Fully changing over 100% is almost impossible as long as the US refuses to catch up with the rest of the world. It's not our fault some people are confused by counting to ten.

Personally, I think we should have made a full switch, even in industry. Using some of one system, and some of another just confuses even more people. And it seems to spark OCD episodes in certain posters.

Almost everything he's linking to is a result of our closely knit economies. US products, or companies that deal heavily with them.

Should have no impact on the riveting Canadian game of "5 pin bowling", boat slip sizes in B.C., or the length/weight of a sturgeon.

Fully changing over 100% is almost impossible as long as the US refuses to catch up with the rest of the world. It's not our fault some people are confused by counting to ten.

So it's OK for Canada not to change for economic reasons but not the USA (much larger economy and population)?

Personally, I think we should have made a full switch, even in industry. Using some of one system, and some of another just confuses even more people. And it seems to spark OCD episodes in certain posters.

Nobody stopped Canada from doing so. Look at the bright side...you almost fooled one person in Finland.

In Vancouver, most people in my generation use feet and inches to measure the height of people, pounds to measure the weight of people, and metric units for everything else. None have any concept how long something is in feet or how heavy something is in pounds unless it is a person. Temperature, volume, velocity, length of any non-human object, weight of any non-human object, pressure, density, etc, are all commonly understood by this demographic only in metric units.

And certainly when it comes to any scientific and technical measurements, that is all done in metric, and not only in Canada but also to a large extent in the US. In my field of expertise, American scientists work almost exclusively in SI units. It would be cumbersome beyond any practical possibility to try to use Imperial units in plasma science. In fact, I think many electromagnetic units have no Imperial analogs, or at least none that are in any kind of common use today anywhere in the world. Where are the equivalents for farads, webers, teslas, henrys, oersteds, sieverts, lumens, lux, amperes, coulombs?

IIRC, footcandle would be the analog for lux.

1/10

You could have done worse ;p

Oh, I'll add one more to the list

Where are the equivalents for farads, webers, teslas, henrys, oersteds, sieverts, lumens, lux, amperes, coulombs, volts?
Edited by Bonam

Some of those units were not "invented" just for international standards.

Nope, but they were all developed in the context of the metric system and interface nicely with other metric units, and often are defined in terms of them. Succesfully using these units also means you are gonna be using meters, kilograms, Newtons, etc.

Find me one scientist that measures magnetic flux density in pound force-seconds per coulomb-foot. Ain't gonna happen :lol:

You forgot horsepower vs. watt.

Nope... I specifically listed units which had no imperial equivalents that instantly came to my mind.

Realistically, any Americans working in technical fields that require any of the above units of measure have to man up and learn the SI system.

Edited by Bonam

Nope, but they were all developed in the context of the metric system and interface nicely with other metric units, and often are defined in terms of them.

Great...like Son of Kong...we have SI units that are nice and tidy that way.

Nope... I specifically listed units which had no imperial equivalents that instantly came to my mind.

What was the hurry?

Unlike yourself, I didn't feel the need to spend hours looking up references for the purpose of this thread :)

Sorry...I have plenty of time for such entertainment. Metric my ass! :)

...as the Wiki entry clearly describes:

Canada has converted to the metric system for many purposes but there is still significant use of non-metric units and standards in many sectors of the Canadian economy. This is mainly due to historical ties with the United Kingdom (before metrication), the traditional use of the imperial system of measurement in Canada, close proximity to the United States, and to public opposition to metrication during the transition period

Training on metric conversion was not universal. Poor metrication training was a contributing factor to Air Canada Flight 143, the so called Gimli Glider, running out of fuel mid-flight on 23 July 1983.

Today, Canadians typically use a mix of metric and imperial measurements in their daily lives. However the use of the metric and imperial systems varies according to generations. The older generations mostly uses the imperial system, while the younger generations uses the metric system more frequently.[citation needed] Newborns are measured in SI at hospitals, but the birth weight and length is also announced to family and friends in imperial units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada

and while Canada's conversion continues, partially completed, 3 countries remain somewhat entrenched in... 400 years ago: United States, Myanmar & Liberia - oh, wait... this just in, Myanmar is switching!
CIA Factbook: At this time, only three countries - Burma, Liberia, and the US - have not adopted the International System of Units (SI, or metric system) as their official system of weights and measures.

The US is the only industrialized nation that does not mainly use the metric system in its commercial and standards activities, but there is increasing acceptance in science, medicine, government, and many sectors of industry

The US is the only...

Hmmmm ... let's see how else we can fill that in .... right off the top of my head .... "the U.S. is the only Super Power." B)

really, c'mon... you're quibbling over the words your CIA uses in it's factbook? In any case, celebrate your independence and steadfastness with your... colonial offspring, Liberia! :lol:

So, how's that "partially completed" conversion to the metric system working out for you? ;)

not so bad; a works in progress - thanks for asking.

Seriously. Your comment is the type of comment that really entertains me. Why do you think the U.S. "is the only nation to [fill in the blank]?" Because it's what we choose. We don't care if "we are the only nation." We're not trying to be like y'all. We don't need to be like everyone else to feel validated the way some of you apparently do.

seriously. Your comment is the type of comment that really entertains me. The way you jump into the fray at even the slightest hint/tinge of criticism directed at your country is most entertaining. By the by, what do you think the cost impact on your country in not going metric is? There are certainly no shortage of studies out there - perhaps you could find one you're comfortable with that would reinforce the rationale behind, as you say, "not trying to be like y'all". Of course, there are innumerable examples of problem/difficulties that reflect upon failing to (properly) embrace metrication... the one readily pulled out as a symbolic testament is NASA's loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter.

So do keep up the references/comparisons to the U.S. - as we go merrily along - not caring in the least what you choose to do.

that's right, you're clearly showing you don't care at all... what is really entertaining is watching your and BC2004's ultra-sensitivities play out, thread after thread. It's gold, real gold!

Today, Canadians typically use a mix of metric and imperial measurements in their daily lives. However the use of the metric and imperial systems varies according to generations. The older generations mostly uses the imperial system, while the younger generations uses the metric system more frequently.[citation needed] Newborns are measured in SI at hospitals, but the birth weight and length is also announced to family and friends in imperial units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada

Oh look. You can repeat the exact same thing everyone else has been saying in this thread and you only needed Wikipedia to say it for you. Good job. Nice to see you've caught up.

Guest American Woman
really, c'mon... you're quibbling over the words your CIA uses in it's factbook?

Who's quibbling? They are simply stating a fact - a fact I haven't denied. Why would I? You are the one making something else out of it with the all-too-juvenile "you're the only one!" Generally adolescents think everyone has to follow the crowd or be singled out as "stupid."

not so bad; a works in progress - thanks for asking.

I hope that makes you proud as a peacock. :)

seriously. Your comment is the type of comment that really entertains me. The way you jump into the fray at even the slightest hint/tinge of criticism directed at your country is most entertaining.

Actually, I saw the opening post as insulting to Canada. 'How's your attempt to convert to the metric system going after all these decades? - are you able to do it with the U.S. as your neighbor? or are you unable to act on your own mind? - ie: does the U.S. ultimately control everything that happens in Canada?'

By the by, what do you think the cost impact on your country in not going metric is? There are certainly no shortage of studies out there - perhaps you could find one you're comfortable with that would reinforce the rationale behind, as you say, "not trying to be like y'all".

If I cared, I would. But seriously - Americans are just living their lives same as always - and we're doing it while not caring in the least, not judging Canada at all, for whatever system Canada chooses to use at any given time.

Of course, there are innumerable examples of problem/difficulties that reflect upon failing to (properly) embrace metrication... the one readily pulled out as a symbolic testament is NASA's loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter.

That's already been addressed; now if I cared, I'm sure I could find - and trot out - problems that your county has encountered during your decades long conversion to metric, but I don't.

that's right, you're clearly showing you don't care at all... what is really entertaining is watching your and BC2004's ultra-sensitivities play out, thread after thread. It's gold, real gold!

Once again I get the "you and b_c" response. I'd like to say it's entertaining, but sorry, it's just mud dumb stupid. It's also a passive-aggressive attempt to shift the attention on us - for not sitting idly by while y'all make your ignorant comments about the U.S., thread after thread. Sorry, but I'll continue to be there responding whenever I feel like it. B)

But here's the crux of the matter - Fact is, I don't care what system you use - which is why I've never commented on it or criticized Canada over it or engaged in childish insults about it. What I do care about is learning more about my neighbor - doesn't mean I care what you're doing. Heaven help me if I ever get so wrapped up in what another nation is doing. Thankfully there are 'normal' Canadians on this board, along with all that I've come in contact with - seriously, the one thing that would grate on my nerves if I were a Canadian is the likes of those of you who have to compare everything to the U.S. and feel the need to attempt to gloat and insult over something as ridiculous as the metric system.

But as I've said, lots of you have complained about Americans' lack of interest in/knowledge of Canada, so I'm here fixing that - and you and your ilk are just part of my learning experience, so thank you for that. :) It's been most enlightening.

Who's quibbling? They are simply stating a fact - a fact I haven't denied. Why would I? You are the one making something else out of it with the all-too-juvenile "you're the only one!" Generally adolescents think everyone has to follow the crowd or be singled out as "stupid."

how obtuse are you, really? Those words that had you so perplexed, the words, "The U.S. is the only"... those are the words quoted directly from the U.S. CIA Factbook - verbatim! You huff & puff and feel a need to sooth your sensitivity by interjecting the phrase 'Super Power' - wow!

I hope that makes you proud as a peacock. :)

look hon, I stated, "Canada's conversion continues, partially completed". You asked me the question, "So, how's that "partially completed" conversion to the metric system working out for you?" To which I replied, "not so bad; a works in progress - thanks for asking". My statements are statements of fact and reality... a continuing conversion, a works in progress, partially completed. Your reply, "I hope that makes you proud as a peacock" is an asinine, juvenile and most telling comeback.

seriously, the one thing that would grate on my nerves if I were a Canadian is the likes of those of you who have to compare everything to the U.S. and feel the need to attempt to gloat and insult over something as ridiculous as the metric system.

for my part, again, my quote was a direct extract from your countries CIA factbook... ask yourself why you took such exception to it. You may also want to ask what preceded my quote... you know, the ridiculous clown show, BC2004 brazillion post display.

The US has gone metric to some degree when it has had to. The US auto industry has been using metric hardware for years. Tires are the most interesting. Wheel diameters and widths are given in inches while tire widths are in millimeters.

Some things will never be metric like units used for navigation. Meters and KPH are only used in the east block and China. The "West" including the rest of Europe and the Asia, use feet and Knots.

China can't even build it's own commercial airliners yet, metric or not. The Americans dominated the industry so long that aviation certified parts and fasteners stayed inch-pounds long after the jump to metric by the auto industry. Ditto for Airbus....using inch parts. Boeing still hasn't completed the conversion, and nobody really wants to buy aircraft grade fasteners from China (yet)! ;)

Well, they are at it and its called the C919 a competitor for the A 320 and B 737. It will be interesting to see when China and Airbus combine to produce aviation bolts and everything else in metric. Boeing's struggle to compete with Airbus will be even more accentuated because it will be the only aircraft manufacturer using that medieval anachronism and that is costly.

Yes, America used its power after 1945 to force the world to fly in medieval measurements. That silly move confirms that intelligence does not always match power.

Edited by compal

Well, they are at it and its called the C919 a competitor for the A 320 and B 737.

The Comac C919 is mid 80's technology....airliner training wheels for China.

It will be interesting to see when China and Airbus combine to produce aviation bolts and everything else in metric. Boeing's struggle to compete with Airbus will be even more accentuated because it will be the only aircraft manufacturer using that medieval anachronism and that is costly.

Yes...it's a wonder how Boeing has more than held its own with such a handicap.

Yes, America used its power after 1945 to force the world to fly in medieval measurements. That silly move confirms that intelligence does not always match power.

Canada signed on to the plan....stupid is as stupid does. "Metric" nations lost the war.