US is being too loud.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what exactly you want me to give you, but it's quite clear that outside of business circles, very little of this country is reported. I simply find it strange.

What does get reported tends to be out of the ordinary, and IMHO the US is far more dynamic for newsworthy items. So if there is a SARS fiasco in Ontario, we'll perk up to that, but not the same 'ole same ole. Aren't we due for the usual seal killing stories? To many Americans, Canada as presented in media is..for lack of a better term...boring.

Guest American Woman

Well, I often hear a great deal about Australia and the UK.

Are you saying that the UK is a "less important country?" As for Australia, sure don't know what all you're reading about it in the American media, but I sure don't see much. And again, you fail to provide examples of what you are claiming. I'll make it more spefic - what sorts of things do you think the American media is reporting on about Australia that's not being reported about Canada?

bc brought up another example of what is reported - your seal hunt is covered in our media. So was SARS. So was the landing of our planes in Canada on 9-11 - big time. Was Carolyn Parrish? I couldn't tell you. :P

BC Nailed it as far as politics goes. Canada is just boring, and our system of government doesnt make good reality TV.

And you have a great need for "reality tv" in your life? - Your life is that boring?

Its boring as hell to watch a train go by, but pretty riveting when it crashes.

It's boring as hell to read about what's going on in Saskatoon, too, as compared to reading about what's going on in Toronto. B)

Guest American Woman

Than Canada to the US? Yes.

You're wrong.

United States foreign policy affirms its alliance with the United Kingdom as its most important bilateral relationship in the world, evidenced by aligned political affairs between the White House and 10 Downing Street, as well as joint military operations carried out between the two nations.

While both the United States and the United Kingdom maintain close relationships with many other nations around the world, the level of cooperation in military planning, execution of military operations, nuclear weapons technology, and intelligence sharing with each other has been described as "unparalleled" among major powers throughout the 20th and early 21st century.

The United States and Britain share the world's largest foreign direct investment partnership. American investment in the United Kingdom reached $255.4 billion in 2002, while British direct investment in the United States totaled $283.3 billion.

Canada is not "more" important to the U.S. than the U.K. is; both are important, for different reasons.

And I see you still haven't been able to provide the examples I requested.

Don't hate us because we're LOUD - hate us because we're beautiful. ;)

I actually wished more people here were like the Texas girl. She was outgoing, friendly, and not very self-conscious. I live in a government town (Ottawa), and people in my city are like zombies (My theory is that working for the gov literally sucks the life & joy out of people). People in my city are polite (except when driving lol) but very reserved. Even the young people.

I went to a Metallica concert in Ottawa a couple of years ago, and there were people in the first section sitting down (which is really hard to do at a Metallica concert lol). I went to a Bon Jovi concert here too and half the people were sitting down also. Meanwhile, the concerts I go to in Montreal and Quebec City have people going flippin' crazy. Those cities are known to have the loudest, best crowds in North America. It's known here that the French like to have a good time.

Point of my rant: I like fun people (except the loud-mouth neighbours at my cottage, I go there to relax to please keep it down! lol)

Edited by Moonlight Graham

While both the United States and the United Kingdom maintain close relationships with many other nations around the world, the level of cooperation in military planning, execution of military operations,

Canada is your number one energy supplier, probalbly your number one food supplier (other than yourself), and has an aerospace and now complete military defence structure mostly integrated with your own. I hate to break it to you, but n the case of both countries, there is no country that is more important. If you need examples, you aren't paying attention.

Guest American Woman

Canada is your number one energy supplier, probalbly your number one food supplier (other than yourself), and has an aerospace and now complete military defence structure mostly integrated with your own. I hate to break it to you, but n the case of both countries, there is no country that is more important. If you need examples, you aren't paying attention.

Just because you see it that way doesn't make it so; but since I clearly did not say the UK was "more" important, but rather "both are important," it appears as if YOU "aren't paying attention."

Now I'll ask you one for time for some examples to back up what you've been claiming - and since I've asked you about half a dozen times now with no results, I won't ask again - and your failure to provide any will simply verify that your take on it exists only in your head.

.... I hate to break it to you, but n the case of both countries, there is no country that is more important. If you need examples, you aren't paying attention.

I think it is important for you to believe that Canada is the most important country to the United States, regardless of the reality that Canada is only more important for very specific attributes, not in total. The US is far more diversified than Canada when it comes to such relationships, while Canada is far more dependent on America and its markets.

Just because you see it that way doesn't make it so; but since I clearly did not say the UK was "more" important, but rather "both are important," it appears as if YOU "aren't paying attention."

The UK is America's most important military and geopolitical ally...by far. Doesn't mean the UK is the most important country, as no single nation has that kind of relationship with the United States.

This idea that Canada isn't more important is just silly. The idea, also, that Canada receives as much attentions it is due in the US media, given that, it beyond silly. I'm not even sure what you want me to show you. Do you want me to count how many times Canada is mentioned and how many times other countries are mentioned?

Is The US the most important country to Canada? Yes, by far. Is Canada the most important country to the US? Yes, definitely, but notby the same margin.

This idea that Canada isn't more important is just silly. The idea, also, that Canada receives as much attentions it is due in the US media, given that, it beyond silly.

this is incongruent...if Canada were so "important", why isn't this reflected in more "attention". Fact is...Canada isn't.

I'm not even sure what you want me to show you. Do you want me to count how many times Canada is mentioned and how many times other countries are mentioned?

Why is it important that Canada be mentioned?

Is The US the most important country to Canada? Yes, by far. Is Canada the most important country to the US? Yes, definitely, but notby the same margin.

Canada is not the most important country to the United Sates...no country has that distinction.

And? Is Iraq the definition off relationship with America?

Iraq is a very recent example of why Canada is not the "most important" country to the United States. That many (not all) Canadians were forced to confront this reality in 2003 speaks volumes about their naive understanding of the two nations' relationship.

this is incongruent...if Canada were so "important", why isn't this reflected in more "attention". Fact is...Canada isn't.

But it is, no matter how much it pains you to admit it,

Why is it important that Canada be mentioned?

It really isn't, it was simply an observation that the two of you have, as usual, blown far out of proportion. It's funny that you, the person who says Canada isn't important, care so much.

Canada is not the most important country to the United Sates...no country has that distinction.

I know it makes you feel good to say that. After all, you love allow your children the same. It simply isn't true though, and if you don't know that, you should.

But it is, no matter how much it pains you to admit it,

But it doesn't pain me...obviously it pains you very much. Sorry, but Canada's unrequited love is not returned.

It really isn't, it was simply an observation that the two of you have, as usual, blown far out of proportion. It's funny that you, the person who says Canada isn't important, care so much.

Even if I did care, we are not the entire United States. You proposed that America doesn't care so much, and it doesn't. I have long maintained that most Americans don't know, don't care, and don't care that they don't know. Our presence here is "abnormal", and you even resent that.

I know it makes you feel good to say that. After all, you love allow your children the same. It simply isn't true though, and if you don't know that, you should.

This doesn't make any sense. Nation states are not children.

Actually, it isn't. As it simply involves one aspect of a relationship.

America has many such relationships...Canada was obviously not the most important in that case.

Woops! Youtube embedding is disabled for viewers in the country that is "most important" to the United States. Funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du48i8dnohk

Edited by bush_cheney2004

You represent your own reality, which is equally warped. Having a different view of things doesn't somehow make you the rock of truth. The fact that you spend your days challenging anything said on a site about a country you claim to care nothing about actually suggests that your opinion is more warped than most.

You represent your own reality, which is equally warped. Having a different view of things doesn't somehow make you the rock of truth. The fact that you spend your days challenging anything said on a site about a country you claim to care nothing about actually suggests that your opinion is more warped than most.

That's fine...attacking me does not change that reality. You display the same naivete when confronted with provincial conflict and separation in Canada. I don't know why such things trouble you so, but as the older adult, I can assure you that everything is going to be OK.

The United States and American "content" is so pervasive on this board that it only serves to prove your own observation. Now you're complaining about it.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

That's fine...attacking me does not change that reality.

Nor was that the intent. You, as the older adult ( :lol: ) should know that. You have a view that requires you to see things as you do. Your response to my query isn't about what troubles me (and yes, the misguided idea that Canada is somehow in turmoil, the attempt to create a conflict where little to none exists, does trouble me), but rather, your own insecurities in relation to the current state of America, and America's dominant place in the world. Your posts are actually far more revealing than you would like them to be, I'm sure.

Have a nice day.