US is being too loud.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note though, it is true that the American media does ignore Canada, unless it's to poke fun at a stereotype, or conservative media attacking Ruth Bader Ginsberg over the mere suggestion that part of Canada's constitution or South Africa's might be better than Americas. It's actually perplexing, given how important we actually are to America in so many different ways.

Guest American Woman

On a serious note though, it is true that the American media does ignore Canada, unless it's to poke fun at a stereotype, or conservative media attacking Ruth Bader Ginsberg over the mere suggestion that part of Canada's constitution or South Africa's might be better than Americas.

We cover the state of your health care in our media too. ;)

Methinks you're a bit overly sensitive. Our media coverage includes Canada when there's something to report; and personally, I've never seen the media poking fun at Canadian stereotypes. Perhaps you could provide a few examples?

Edited by American Woman

You've never seen American media poking fun at Canadian stereotypes? Really? I'm not being sensitive at all, I'm just stating a fact. The border deal wasn't even talked about, nor was the luggage pre clearance anouncement. The only place Canada gets mentioned often is in the business media.

.... It's actually perplexing, given how important we actually are to America in so many different ways.

Nope...not perplexing at all. That some Canadians would invest so much time and attention to the American "train wreck to the south" does not mean the Americans should care to respond in kind. As has been described by others...it's a one way mirror with Canadians gazing at the Americans...and the Americans gazing at themselves.

The United States probably is far more important to Canada. Still, Canada gets mentioned far less than other less important countries.

Part of this is because Canadians themselves rationalize the lack of "attention" with complete integration with/for American economic and cultural institutions. So much so, that the very idea of a separate Canadian identity requires making a pointed distinction between the two, no matter how flawed that approach may be.

You of course, know you're not right when you day that, and yet, you continue to say it.

But it's not just me saying it...the idea is not original on my part. There are many Canadian authors who propose and observe the identical thing. Maybe the United States is not too loud...maybe Canada is too quiet.

Guest American Woman

The United States probably is far more important to Canada. Still, Canada gets mentioned far less than other less important countries.

What other "less important countries?" What do you think should be getting media attention that isn't? As I said, your health care system gets coverage as does the border situation. Not always positive coverage, but coverage all the same.

You gave the example of the border deal, yet that was on CNN. As for the "luggage pre-clearance announcement," doesn't that affect Canadians? Why would that make news in the U.S.? Not sure what you mean about Syria, but as I recall, Canada didn't want attention over its involvement in Iraq. So you want us to keep it quiet when it suits you but shower attention when you want it?

By the same token, there's bitterness that Americans don't know much about Canada and don't care, yet when American do care and state opinions, there's the 'it's not of your business/who caress what you think!' reactions. Seems to me you just want positive attention and positive media coverage.

I'm still waiting for examples of the the "stereotype" coverage that you claim is just about all Canada gets - which I find odd, your bringing it up, considering all the stereotypes about the U.S./Americans that make it into the Canadian media. The Canadian media may have a lot of U.S. coverage, but it sure isn't all flattering by a long shot.

Furthermore, people here have said that they are interested in the U.S. because it affects them. I think what happens in the U.S. affects Canada more than what happens in Canada affects the U.S., so wouldn't that help explain why there's more U.S. coverage in Canada than coverage of Canada in the U.S.?

But bottom line - we don't have issues like this: U.S. media juggernaut still a threat to Canada - and I think that may be in part what bothers you.

....You gave the example of the border deal, yet that was on CNN. As for the "luggage pre-clearance announcement," doesn't that affect Canadians? Why would that make news in the U.S.?

I thought the same thing, and like you, only living a few hours from the Canadian border, failed to understand why it was such a big deal. I have come to the conclusion that travel for many Canadians often involves the United States in some direct or indirect way, raising the Canadian concern for any changes that would impact their travel and or access to or through the US of A.

I thought the same thing, and like you, only living a few hours from the Canadian border, failed to understand why it was such a big deal. I have come to the conclusion that travel for many Canadians often involves the United States in some direct or indirect way, raising the Canadian concern for any changes that would impact their travel and or access to or through the US of A.

Anything that ncreases trade and travel is a big deal.

Guest American Woman
Pretty much all of them. What happens in Canada has a big affect on the US, yet our politics is reported on little. It does happen, but not very often.

You keep saying that, but it's a very general statement that I don't see you backing up. Another example - the XL pipeline. That certainly has been given coverage. As has the bridge between Detroit Windsor.

Anything that ncreases trade and travel is a big deal.

Again, it may be a bigger deal to Canada. You have 300+ million Americans to travel to Canada vs. 30+ million Canadians to travel here. The vast majority of your population lives within 100/200 miles of the border while a small percentage of our population does - so again, that likely is a bigger factor to Canada than it is the U.S.

As for trade between our countries, what do you think should be covered in our media that isn't?

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

I'm not sure what exactly you want me to give you, but it's quite clear that outside of business circles, very little of this country is reported. I simply find it strange.

I want specific examples. What, specifically, do you think should be reported that isn't? What, specifically, do you think is being reported about "less important countries" that isn't being reported about Canada?