Super Bowl 46 Playoff Thread

msj

It is also not in keeping with the game's honour!

Sorta like how Belicheat told his defense to let Bradshaw score? :rolleyes:

Eli told Bradshaw not to score during the handoff to it was hard for him to stop his instinct to score with all that momentum.

Keep in mind, I believe it was 2nd down and the Pats had no timeouts. The Giants could have run 30 odd seconds off the clock on 3rd down before trying to score a TD on the one.

Then a kick that's essentially an extra point if that run failed.

kneeling down at the one was certainly giving them the best shot at winning in that circumstance.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I get all that, but like you said the strategy is against a players instinct. Scoring "too fast" has long been a wrinkle in the end-game when the score is close.

How is it any different from kneeling down at the end of the game to run down the clock?

Tom Coughlin should have called the play that if they let him score, don't score.

How is it any different from kneeling down at the end of the game to run down the clock?

Did Roman gladiators kneel down in the arena? Did Frazier or Ali kneel down in the ring?

Tom Coughlin should have called the play that if they let him score, don't score.

OK, doesn't mean I have to like it as a fan. My kid use to play that way in Madden, running backwards to the end zone to disrupt game play or kill the clock.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Did Roman gladiators kneel down in the arena? Did Frazier or Ali kneel down in the ring?

Those sports aren't time related. I'm sure if you're up 5 rounds in a boxing match you're certainly going to play conservatively and not allow the opponent to knock you out.

In Hockey if you're up 2 goals with 2 minutes left you put on your checking line, you don't put your snipers out there.

In Basketball when you have the lead at the end of game you're not doing a full-court press and trying to get up the court as fast as you can, you run down the shot clock before you make a play.

Should Football teams be airing it out with a minute left with the lead because that's the way the game should be played?

Edited by Boges

In Hockey if you're up 2 goals with 2 minutes left you put on your checking line, you don't put your snipers out there.

Hockey is even more hopeless, killing penalties with wasted filler.

In Basketball when you have the lead at the end of game you're not doing a full-court press and trying to get up the court as fast as you can, you run down the shot clock before you make a play.

Perhaps you are too young to remember Dean Smith's "Four Corners"...that's why we got the shot clock.

Should Football teams be airing it out with a minute left with the lead because that's the way the game should be played?

Most games with clocks suffer this competitive discontinuity. That's why baseball is still magic.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The ball was also clearly underthrown. From what I've seen about the Pats, long passes like that aren't their game. Lots of throws underneath to their two TE's and Welker.

Yes it was underthrown. It was something like 50 yards in the air while running from pressure.

A healthy Gronk would have likely adjusted for it better.

It was a risk Brady took and he paid for it by giving the NYG field position at their own 8.

All QB's throw interceptions from time to time. This just happens to be a big game so it is more noticeable.

That's why I was pretty confident even though Brady is amazing that he had very little chance of moving the team down the field with a minute left at the end of the game.

I think most people would be surprised just how rare it is for any QB to move the ball 80 yards in 57 seconds with 2 timeouts and a 12 men on the field wasting 8 seconds of time type of penalty.

I disagree. I think that he did the right thing by scoring the touchdown. I'd rather have the sure points, and a four point lead with less than a minute left, than run the time down, and have everything come down to a field goal kick with a ton of pressure on my kicker.

Instead you put pressure on your QB/RB to not throw and interception/fumble the ball.

Bradshaw could take the sure points because Belichick had the balls to allow it.

Even if the Patriots didn't allow it, I'd still take a touchdown in that situation over kicking a field goal with one second left.

It's pretty close but I'd still have given a defacto Extra-Point while only giving Brady less than 30 seconds to get into FG range over getting a TD on that play and giving Brady 57 yards to score.