Arrests made in Cecelia Zhang case

Arrest made in Cecilia killing

Heartbreaking as it must be, it must be a relief to Cecelia's parents to finally attempt to have some closure concerning the tragegy of losing their little girl.

Have to be careful because people are presumed innocent until proven guility but once again it seems that this tragegy might have been caused by someone who is known to the family involved.

This idea that we are at risk from strangers, I would like to see the statistics on this aspect of crime, I think it more myth than fiction. I believe violence is more often caused by someone who is known to the victim.

I don't know the statistics MS but I think you are right, especially in sexual abuse cases and child abduction cases. Crimes like theft I think are more crimes of oppertunity.

From what I heard in the Cecelia case, the fellow ( I use the term losely ) is here on a student visa. I wonder if he will get a slap on the wrist and then sent home?

The death of innocent Cecilia Chang has left a lasting impression on all peoples who cherrish and love our children.

Peel Regional Police Services and assisting law enforcement agencies and the community at large, all played a significant role in the apprehension of a suspect, in the abduction and murder of young Cecilia. You have my sincere gratitude.

I offer my personal condolences once again to the family and friends suffering the anguish this horrible nightmare has visited upon them. The arrest of a suspect will not assuage the pain that will dwell in the hearts of Cecilia's parents long after my passing, but, perhaps may be the measure necessary to bring them a modicum of peace.

May this young saint of heaven watch over we who will join her soon.

Police chief denies tainting Zhang trial

Slamming a photo of Chen onto a table at the news conference, Catney told the room, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is not just a murderer. This is the most despicable of criminals. This is a child murderer."

What an idiot. If this guy is guilty and gets off because of this cop's blustering, the chief should be sent packing. Actually, he should be canned regardless.

What an idiot. If this guy is guilty and gets off because of this cop's blustering, the chief should be sent packing. Actually, he should be canned regardless.

Absolutely. Regardless of what Chen may or may not have done, until a jury finds him guilty it is grossly irresponsible for any judicial or law enforcement official to refer to him as though he were. At this point he is still a suspect. If I were arrested for a heinous crime I'd like to think that the police wouldn't prejudice the jury against me before I'd even had a chance to defend myself.

From what I heard in the Cecelia case, the fellow ( I use the term losely ) is here on a student visa. I wonder if he will get a slap on the wrist and then sent home?

No we wouldn't send him back to China, they believe in Capital Punishment. Here that is considered "cruel and unusual" for child killers. We'll try to rehabilitate him and pay for all of his expenses when he claims refugee status.

Just watch.

I do believe Police Chief Catney, was overwhelmed by the magnitude and scope of this investigation. With the apprehension and arrest of a prime suspect. the Chief, unwittingly blundered. Though years of training in police practices are his to claim, during the press conference he allowed his true feelings to manifest and become visible.

It was a very serious error on the part of Chief Catney,but, this is a particularly horrendous act of the murder of a defenseless child. Catney, allowed his humanity, to overshadow his police discipline. I'm certain he knew his mistake once uttered.

If the accused is convicted of the crime for which he now stands charged, it won't be because of Chief Catney's aberrant moment in front of the media. The factual evidence adduced during trial will affirm the guilt or innocence of the accused.

I don't blame the police chief one iota. If he had to see the body of that poor little murdered child and has good reason to believe that this young man is guilty. It would only require a change of venue. Even that is not really needed in my books. The prosecutor will face the jury with the same or stronger comments.

What surprises me is how readily the media can refer to OJ as a wife killer, etc after he was found not guilty. As we all believe that he was guilty; no one raises an objection.

Caesar ,

Despite the horror surrounding the murder of young Cecilia, our appropriate call for justice must be tempered with Canadian jurisprudence.

Vigilante justice , self appointed doers of justice, can never be permitted acceptance under any circumstances; nor should it. In some of Chief Catney's remarks, he gave a personal and obviously prejudiced outlook.

There will be mountains of legal arguments advanced on behalf of the accused. Defense counsel will adamantly plea for a change of venue. There will be crys of foul and justice impeded, as oppposing counsel prepare legal briefs and/or presentations for the learned jurist.

When the trial finally begins a jury of his peers , not anyone else, will decide the fate of the accused. I am in favour of the death penalty. Unfortunately, Canada abolished capital punishment in the late 1970's. :angry:

He didn't take him out to the nearest tree and hang him.

One man's comment does not make any big difference. Every newspaper and other media sources will be flashing his face and stating that he is a prime suspect. In fact, the innocent until proven guilty in the media is usually and after thought and often missing. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

It is kinda like the BC Attorney General Geoff Plant commenting on changing the jury system following the recent Virk murder mistrial.

Both Plant and the Police Chief dealing with the Xu-Zhang case have jeopardized the accused's presumption of innocence.

I am not sure which comment has done the most damage to the justice system. Plant should definitely resign over his remarks. :rolleyes:

plants remarks were dumb and not even his jurisdiction; that type of change could only be done federally.

However, I do not think it will have any affect on justice being done.

The one juror is a costly aggravation; I get a little fed up with worrying about protecting criminals rights; let someone speak up for the victims.

I do not like this government but I sure see no need to call for Plant's head. Campbell's I would give you on a silver platter.

Plant is the Attorney General of BC and he is inferring that someone is guilty prior to their third trial.

Really inappropriate comments which damage the credibility of our justice system which is based on innocent until proven guilty. We have had enough innocent people go to jail already in Canada, and Plant in his role should not be contributing to the possibility of adding to the list.

He should resign. ;)

The Police Chief of Peel Regional should stay. He has been a great police chief for that area, and the police service. Maplesyrup, Blackdog, what is it with you people always trying to destroy a good police officer's reputation, god I'm getting sick of people pointing out the stupidest things. I think that if you caught a child murderer you would'nt have the greatest thing's to say about him don't you think, he is a scumbag, he is the worst possible type of human scum. Police Constables are trained to capture the bad guy's, and make their case against them so that they will be sent to jail. I doubt that the child murderer will get that much hard time, maybe five years in maximum, and then a few more years in a minimum security prison facility.

Remember Carla Homolka, she was put in a minimum security prison for killing two young girls, and she had a goddamn Birthday party. Maybe instead of trying to get a police chief fired, you left wingers should instead try to bring back the death penalty and give hard time to these scumbags.

alliance fanatic :

I'm not unsympathetic with your call for a severe penalty in this murder of a child. Nor, am I at odds with your defense of the Peel Regional Police Chief, though, some of his comments to the media were of a personal nature and should have remained as such.

I too take slight umbarage with some of blackdog & maplesyrups' writing , but , I must confess in fairness to both , I failed to note their calling for Chief Catney to resign or be dismissed. The closest to calling for his 'head' was identified in blackdogs' assertion that if, the accused escaped justice and this was a direct result of Catneys' aberrant remarks, then the Chief should be removed from office.

The whole of this case has placed a great deal of emotional strain on all of us. Some more that others. I estimate we're looking at a good 2 years down the road before this case comes to trial. When the time arrives justice will be served. If convicted the accused will spend a minimun of 25 years behind bars before being considered for parole. I can assure you if he goes to prison, those 25 years will be the most unpleasant of his life. Vigilante justice is alive and thriving in our federal places of detention.

Online statement casts new doubt on Zhang case

A person claiming to be the woman who was briefly detained in connection with the murder of Cecilia Zhang says she doesn't think Toronto police have the right person in custody.

Citing a translation of a statement released on a local Chinese website, The Toronto Sun reported Monday that the unidentified woman doesn't believe Min Chen murdered Cecilia Zhang.

Chill folks. I think some people need to take a bit of valium. There appears to a be a little more to this, not necessarily so cut and dried as some would have you think, and very fortunately we have a justice system in Canada when one is innocent until proven guilty.

I think we realize the Zhang murder case will be frequently before us as various media sources compete for our attention. All releases will have a sensational value at one level or another. Most will contain a small element of fact with a huge amount of speculation. Oh, and yes, many so called 'quotes' will be the third party variety. You know the kind I refer to.

We must be careful to examine all we hear or read about this case for the element of truth. Remember a question of fact hinges on evidence, whereas, fictitious information is the work of an active imagination.

The eventual trial and finding regarding the guilt or innocence of the accused , will not be based on a balance of probabilities.

Maple, don't know where your going with the med's reference.

Police Constables are trained to capture the bad guy's, and make their case against them so that they will be sent to jail.

That is one of the many jobs of a Police Constable. The emotional outburst by the Peel Region Police Chief was however, unprofessional. The police MUST be seen as being objective even though at times that is very difficult to do.