Anti-Bully Legislation

Boges

Posted By: Katie Franzios [email protected] · 11/30/2011 11:32:00 AM

Both the PCs and the Liberals are tabling bills today to curb bullying at schools.

Premier Dalton McGuinty was at L'Amoreax Collegiate Institute in Scarborough to release the details and a special video message.

The anti-bullying video shows the premier standing in the hallway of a school. Its message is to tell students they are not alone if they are being bullied and that it gets better.

McGuinty is one of many high profile people who are trying to stop bullying at schools.

The Liberal bill outlines tougher consequences for bullying and hate-motivated actions - as severe as expulsion. It would also require all schools boards to develop policies to guidelines for more support for victims of bullying and those who do it. McGuinty says he also wants schools to support both students who want to lead awareness activities

The Tories, meantime, want bullying statistics to be tracked and made public so schools can be accountable, a clearer process to report and investigate an instance of bullying and bullying prevention and intervention included in the curriculum from kindergarten. The PC bill also wants remedial programs offered to both the bully and victim, as well as have the Ministry of Education take the lead in the province-wide bullying prevention and intervention policy.

Bullies are mean. Make the parents pay by forcing them to send their cretin kids to private school. :blink:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullies are mean. Make the parents pay by forcing them to send their cretin kids to private school.

Sure, now all the under-sized mouthy punks will get away with murder and when they get punched out will come screaming bully legislation.

See ya after school Boges. Bring your lunch money. :ph34r:

Sure, now all the under-sized mouthy punks will get away with murder and when they get punched out will come screaming bully legislation.

See ya after school Boges. Bring your lunch money. :ph34r:

I think modern bullying is more pathological than "gimme your lunch money" with facebook and stuff.

What I find hilarious about bullying is it appears that bullying because you're gay is far worse than bullying because you're socially awkward.

Edited by Boges

I think modern bullying is more pathological than "gimme your lunch money" with facebook and stuff.

Bullying is bullying whether in Rob Ford's time or modern day school.

What I find hilarious about bullying is it appears that bullying because you're gay is far worse than bullying because you're socially awkward.

Well for youngsters experiencing their first rush of hormones, isn't gay and socially awkward a bit synonymous?

Question, in schools of today, what is considered bulling? Is it physical, verbal, what?

both...girls tend to be more verbal and now with the aid of social networking/facebook takes the only safe refuge (home) away from them the psychological assault can be continuous...my daughter told me of a classmate who endured so much abuse that after two years that she not not her tormentors was driven from her school...

being a scrawny late bloomer as a teenager I endured so much physical abuse I did the same transferring to high school far away from my home, my tormentor was never dealt with by the school...decades later I still await running into him again at 225lbs I ain't that scrawny kid anymore and haven't forgotten or forgiven... B):ph34r:

Yes I was bullied when I was a kid. Punched in the mouth, faced washed out with snow, kicked. Hunted. But I survived.

Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger

it made me a much much meaner person, as an adult I enjoyed being employment as a bouncer and enforcer in sports teams, it gave me the opportunity to deal with bullies without going to jail...

both...girls tend to be more verbal and now with the aid of social networking/facebook takes the only safe refuge (home) away from them the psychological assault can be continuous...my daughter told me of a classmate who endured so much abuse that after two years that she not not her tormentors was driven from her school...

being a scrawny late bloomer as a teenager I endured so much physical abuse I did the same transferring to high school far away from my home, my tormentor was never dealt with by the school...decades later I still await running into him again at 225lbs I ain't that scrawny kid anymore and haven't forgotten or forgiven...

Social media dude. It is much more fun to hunt them down, one by one. ;)

Bullying is bullying whether in Rob Ford's time or modern day school.

experiencing their first rush of hormones, isn't gay and socially awkward a bit synonymous?

I would not agree.

Bullying in the past had set hours for the most part, during school time and more often than not, Mon-Fri.

Now it is 24-7 w FB and all the other social media.

Not to mention it gets to more people faster and easier than ever. In The old Ford days one would have to explain ad naseum why he is bullying X , and that gets tiring after a while.

Now everyone can know in the click of a mouse.

Edited by guyser

I would not agree.

Bullying in the past had set hours for the most part, during school time and more often than not, Mon-Fri.

Now it is 24-7 w FB and all the other social media.

Not to mention it gets to more people faster and easier than ever. In The old Ford days one would have to explain ad naseum why he is bullying X , and that gets tiring after a while.

Now everyone can know in the click of a mouse.

Oh I agree, but the end result is the same, it is bullying then as is bullying now - the aims are the same. Social media adds another dimension to it, but there was still social media back then, consisting of peer groups and such, vicious gossip and neighbourhood bullies and worse, entire families of bullies.

Oh I agree, but the end result is the same, it is bullying then as is bullying now - the aims are the same. Social media adds another dimension to it, but there was still social media back then, consisting of peer groups and such, vicious gossip and neighbourhood bullies and worse,

but at least they were safe in their own homes with their families, now there is no escape...
entire families of bullies.
recall that mom in the US that drove her daughters schoolmate to kill herself... there are some really sick people in our society

I was bullied once...and then I stood up to the bully and the bully backed off and went on to bully another kid

apparently bullying is on social networks now.. why are parents letting their 12 year olds have facebooks and twitters? that is unacceptable

as for the being scared to go to school..we don't live in mexico or a war zone, kids need to toughen up

there will be bullies everywhere you go

as for the being scared to go to school..we don't live in mexico or a war zone, kids need to toughen up

there will be bullies everywhere you go

eww tough talk, tell me how you toughen up when confronted with baseball bats, knives, swords or pickaxes? all choices of bullies in the last few years here...one schoolmate of my eldest ended up dead standing up to a bully with a knife....

eww tough talk, tell me how you toughen up when confronted with baseball bats, knives, swords or pickaxes? all choices of bullies in the last few years here...one schoolmate of my eldest ended up dead standing up to a bully with a knife....

Point noted , but to me that isnt bullying per se, but rather assault.

My point is, one can be bullied and police, school admin can do nothing, but once that personal threshold has been crossed, then the po;ice can act

The tormentors. I'd wager that at this point in the game, they are much different than what you remember.

I don't know, some kids got nasty beatings back in my day but I don't anyone killing themselves or being killed by bullies...so is worse today or maybe it just wasn't identified for what it was back then, kids did kill themselves back then but the cause was never made public either...

Point noted , but to me that isnt bullying per se, but rather assault.

death of the victim is the ultimate end point, the bully behavior was already there and never stopped before it became assault...in my day assault charges were never carried out the attacks were rarely taken seriously, I don't ever recall the police ever becoming involved ...we have a double standard still, kids fight and it's "boys will be boys no big deal", when adults fight it's assault..
My point is, one can be bullied and police, school admin can do nothing, but once that personal threshold has been crossed, then the po;ice can act

the police can only enforce exiting laws that's true but schools can do something, expulsion...I know of another incident where my daughters schoolmate was intimidating classmates with a knife and after repeated bulling his parents were told to take him elsewhere, I think he was 9 or 10 at the time... I hate to think how that little bugger turned out, he'd be 22 or 23 now...