Sad very sad, a sad day for Canada

Apparently, all it takes to get the Order of Canada is to have a profession that's highly visible, like hockey player or comedian.

Eugene Levy, Trevor Linden and Hayley Wickenheiser receiver Order of Canada

Apparently being recognized in the media is enough to make Canada a better place. What a ship show.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth noting that people generally don't get these awards because of their fame, but instead because of how they use it. Commitment to sports, charity, the arts, etc.

It's also worth noting that there are 3 very distinct levels to the order.

It cheapens it for the rest of them. It's like giving a PhD to a student that doesn't have to defend their dissertation.

Orders recognize significant achievements and remarkable service.

Considering this is the definition to the Order of Canada I see nothing wrong with giving that honour to professional athletes, actors, actresses

Orders recognize significant achievements and remarkable service.

Considering this is the definition to the Order of Canada I see nothing wrong with giving that honour to professional athletes, actors, actresses

That's the definition of orders more generally. This is the specific description for the Order of Canada:

Established in 1967 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the Order of Canada is the centrepiece of Canada’s honours system and recognizes a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. The Order recognizes people in all sectors of Canadian society. Their contributions are varied, yet they have all enriched the lives of others and made a difference to this country. The Order of Canada’s motto is DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM (They desire a better country).

(at http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=72 )

I don't know much about Eugene Levy, beyond SCTV and American Pie, both of which I enjoyed reasonably well. What were the reasons for his inclusion?

Guest Derek L

It's worth noting that people generally don't get these awards because of their fame, but instead because of how they use it. Commitment to sports, charity, the arts, etc.

Exactly, I can’t speak about the others, but Trevor Linden is heavily involved in charity work in BC……especially his work with kids with terminal cancer at Children‘s Hospital and his use of his personal celebrity for local fundraisers……I wouldn’t take anything away from Trevor Linden!!!! Good for him!!!

If one were to go to the page of appointments one would see the following:

Eugene Levy: For his contributions as a comic actor and writer, and for his dedication to charitable causes.

Hayley Wickenheiser: For her achievements as an athlete and for her contributions to the growth of women’s hockey.

Trevor Linden: For his ongoing sportsmanship and community engagement as a respected leader both on and off the ice.

Which appear to fit in with their motto level which is:

Member – Post-nominal: C.M.

Recognizes a lifetime of distinguished service in or to a particular community, group or field of activity

I think it's a sad, sad day when people who know nothing about the rules for the order of Canada, AND are ignorant about the accomplishments of those receiving the order then whine about said people receiving the order.

I'm willing to give the selection committee the benefit of the doubt on this.

After all, it's not like I would know anything about, say, Robert D. Hare who is in "[f]or his contributions to forensic psychology and the study of psychopathy."

Apparently, all it takes to get the Order of Canada is to have a profession that's highly visible, like hockey player or comedian.

Eugene Levy, Trevor Linden and Hayley Wickenheiser receiver Order of Canada

Apparently being recognized in the media is enough to make Canada a better place. What a ship show.

:lol: my thoughts exactly when I saw that tonight...I was watching with my daughter and my first thought was if was offered the order of canada I'd laugh at them and shut the door in their face...what a worthless piece of crap, being a minor celebrity is cause for an award... :P ..."hey look at me I'm a mediocre comedian who was in a mildly successful movie so I'm worthy of celebrity worship"...or "I played on a hockey team and almost won something once"...or "I played on a women's hockey and we crushed other teams that could barely skate! woo hoo I'm a hero and deserve the order of canada!"

ya the order of canada a standard of excellence to be proud of :lol:

If one were to go to the page of appointments one would see the following:

Eugene Levy: For his contributions as a comic actor and writer, and for his dedication to charitable causes.

Hayley Wickenheiser: For her achievements as an athlete and for her contributions to the growth of women’s hockey.

Trevor Linden: For his ongoing sportsmanship and community engagement as a respected leader both on and off the ice.

Which appear to fit in with their motto level which is:

I think it's a sad, sad day when people who know nothing about the rules for the order of Canada, AND are ignorant about the accomplishments of those receiving the order then whine about said people receiving the order.

I'm willing to give the selection committee the benefit of the doubt on this.

After all, it's not like I would know anything about, say, Robert D. Hare who is in "[f]or his contributions to forensic psychology and the study of psychopathy."

I spent 25 years working with other people's kids in sports and never got paid a cent for my time nor did I ask for any, in fact I spent thousands of my own money doing it...where's my order of canada!...oh wait I know! I failed to be a mediocre comedian or an almost successful hockey player...

Exactly, I can’t speak about the others, but Trevor Linden is heavily involved in charity work in BC……especially his work with kids with terminal cancer at Children‘s Hospital and his use of his personal celebrity for local fundraisers……I wouldn’t take anything away from Trevor Linden!!!! Good for him!!!

Ditto. I've heard of his great work. He certainly didn't get the Order for his just his hockey career, a decent player but a bazillion who would more deserve the Order simply based on hockey achievements.

As for Eugene Levy...uhh...C-List average comedian. I dunno man. 34 million Canadians and 39 Orders to give out...so Eugene Levy?

I think too many of these things have been given out. Almost 6000 have been given since 1967. Cheapens it, no matter how many levels there are. If you're on TV for a long time, or put out a few good albums, you're in.

Also sucks that the media reports the celebs who get in, but we never hear anything about what the other non-celebrities have achieved.

Also sucks that the media reports the celebs who get in, but we never hear anything about what the other non-celebrities have achieved.

if I was a medical researcher who just discovered a major breakthough in cancer treatment I wouldn't be to impressed to know eugene levy's accomplishments were considered as equal...I'd do a George C Scott and tell them to shove their order of canada...

I'd like the order of canada to mean great accomplishment.

Entertainment is not a great accomplishment unless it was ground breakingly new and revolutionized it for Canada. That is extremely hard to do and so, should be extremely rare.

Sadly it is because we live in a time when there is fixation on a cult of personality, and the medium (media) is the message. Not the real underlying substance. We are like naive fools who've forgotten everything important that's happened before.

But the more people speak out and criticize these choices, the better, because they reflect our core values.

Sadly it is because we live in a time when there is fixation on a cult of personality, and the medium (media) is the message. Not the real underlying substance. We are like naive fools who've forgotten everything important that's happened before.

But the more people speak out and criticize these choices, the better, because they reflect our core values.

Yeah, that's why the vast majority of names on the list are from people most of us have never heard of before.

Such a cult of personality surrounds people like Robert D. Hare, Camille Limoges, Gilles Julien, Hanny A. Hassan, Pierre Frechette etc etc.....

:rolleyes:

I spent 25 years working with other people's kids in sports and never got paid a cent for my time nor did I ask for any, in fact I spent thousands of my own money doing it...where's my order of canada!...oh wait I know! I failed to be a mediocre comedian or an almost successful hockey player...

Maybe you'll get in if you ever do anything that gets noticed enough to allow you in.

Being envious of others getting in because their "mediocre" accomplishments exceed your own is not a very effective strategy.

That's a salient point that's, unfortunately, likely to be ignored.

Linden and Levy were appointed as Members; the lowest level of the order. Wickenheiser was made an Officer, which is the middle level. Considering her accomplishments in and contributions to hockey, and how those reflect on Canada, that hardly seems like a trivial gratuity.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

I'd like the order of canada to mean great accomplishment.

Entertainment is not a great accomplishment unless it was ground breakingly new and revolutionized it for Canada. That is extremely hard to do and so, should be extremely rare.

I don't know of anyone who was appointed to the Order of Canada simply because they were an entertainer. If an entertainer is appointed, it's because of their philanthropic achievements. Even then, successes are hierarchically ranked, greater ones being recognised with the greater honour of appointment to a higher grade in the order. You seem to want a monolithic order, without internal grades, that recognises only the penultimate achievers. That's fine, but we already have that: the Order of Merit, which was recently returned to the Canadian honours system and ranks in it above the Order of Canada; it's membership is limited to only 24 at any one time, drawn from an international pool of some 135 million people.

[c/e, +]

Edited by g_bambino

Yeah, that's why the vast majority of names on the list are from people most of us have never heard of before.

Such a cult of personality surrounds people like Robert D. Hare, Camille Limoges, Gilles Julien, Hanny A. Hassan, Pierre Frechette etc etc.....

:rolleyes:

Yeah, exactly, and that's why we don't know them and don't get to hear about them. You have confirmed it, Mr. RollYourEyes