Flat tax idea in USA primaries

We have Cain and perry floating a flat tax idea. Good idea or bad idea?

My link

I like it that it simplifies the tax code and ensures a wide tax base. Also sets market certainty which helps out economy. Hard sell for lower middle class though, and that's where the votes are...

I expect it's a no sell. End of story.

Clearly the world is moving on without those repubs. :)

I expect it's a no sell. End of story.

Clearly the world is moving on without those repubs. :)

Yes, clearly. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I like the idea of a flat tax, or at the very least, a lowering if all taxe rates in conjunction with the elimination of all or most deductions and subsidies.

Anyways, I like the idea of a flat tax, or at the very least, a lowering if all taxe rates in conjunction with the elimination of all or most deductions and subsidies.

Taxes should stay the same, and loopholes should be removed. Then, spending should be cut.

Edited by Smallc

The kicker is the high corporate tax rate in the USA. Take out the loopholes and if they are stuck with a 35% corporate tax rate, that's a recipe for an exodus and slashing workers.

They should make a commitment to cut corporate taxes as the budget is balanced.

Exactly.

Funny that nobody is talking about the enormous elephant in the room of what should be cut: the massive defense budget.

Hell, Mitt wants tin increase it. He wants to go from building 9 ships a year to building 15, the most ever. Over a 30 year life, that's 450 ships, one of the largest navies ever.

Edited by Smallc

Which is a pittance to entitlements. Defense is already being cut, but in he unique case of the usa, cutting defense is a delicate balancing act.

Entitlements need to be fixed. People need to actually pay what medicare costs. The US should also split up social security. Canada has 3 programs; CPP, OAS, and GIS. CPP is self sustaining, and OAS and GIS are small enough to manage.

Edited by Smallc

Not that low, there's healthcare to pay for. But the provincial tax is flat, everyone who lives in Alberta coughs up 10% regardless of income.

Not the lowest earners. I'm not in favour of a flat tax, although I am in favour of lowering middle brackets where possible.

Why not? The poor use the services, they can pay the piper. They may have to start buying less trinkets. Helps out those who create jobs. Seems fair to me.

10% of the poorest person's income means far more to them. Even Alberta realizes that.

Canada isn't as broke as the USA either. The federal government doesn't have a flat tax. I'm not getting your point.

I think these candidates are floating that idea as an idea to simplify things and widen the tax base. For example in canada we implemented the gst which is a flat sales tax and hit everyone, yet paid for trudea's debt and mulroney's interest payments on said debt, and it hit the poor as well, yet these days we are doing extremely well. The USA needs to maximize it's revenue without making it Too expensive to do business down there. A flat tax does that, and spending will need to be slashed on a scale similar to Ireland.