Steve Jobs Passes Away

bush_cheney2004

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Apple co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs has passed away from a long battle with pancreatic cancer at age 56.
As we age, our cells in general change more slowly. Our metabolism is slower.

The cells of our pancreas change rapidly always, and pancreatic cancer is among the most pernicious.

To suffer cancerous malignant cells is a risk. It is a tragedy to suffer them at a young age, or to suffer them older when their metabolism is higher.

Such is the risk of life itself. To live, we must accept the chance of death.

-----

I have an old (2G) iPod Touch but I'm no Apple fanboy. I voted NDP once or twice years ago, but now I certainly don't. IMV, Jobs was more decent/human in his death than Layton. It is hard for me to imagine submitting to a public death. To me, death is a private affair.

----

The boomers are now dying. Jobs and Layton were born in 1950. How will the media measure their individual legacy? Is it better to die early - or later?

I reckon that guys like Jobs, in the long term, will merit a greater record than guys like Layton.

IOW, in the West, we will have more announcements of the sort and eventually, there will be so many that we won't care.

Edited by August1991

IMV, Jobs was more decent/human in his death than Layton.

Well, he certainly handled the end of his life with a lot more dignity and class than Jack Layton did. I lost a lot of respect for Layton the minute he decided to politicize his death in this last campaign letter to Canadians.

Well, he certainly handled the end of his life with a lot more dignity and class than Jack Layton did. I lost a lot of respect for Layton the minute he decided to politicize his death in this last campaign letter to Canadians.

Yes, because what you are doing is so classy :lol: . Jack Layton was a political figure and a very public man, and he died as he saw fit, because he knew he was going to die. Steve Jobs may or may not have known he was going to die, but if he did, he decided to do things differently.

Don't pretend that you had any kind of respect for Jack Layton in life, and don't pretend that if he had done things differently you would have felt better about him. You didn't like him, and you continue to use his death and his choices surrounding it to attack him. Say what you want about Jack Layton, but you're certainly no better a man than he was.

No, you were being an asshole. But that's okay. What would the Internet be without assholes?

No, I was agreeing with August's assertion. I'm sorry that the truth about Layton hurts though. Unfortunately, the truth usually tends to do that.

I'm no Jack Layton fan, but I don't need to find reasons to lash out at a dead man.

I'm not lashing out at a dead man. But there's nothing wrong, and more importantly inaccurate about stating the fact that his last campaign letter to Canadians was a politicizing of his situation. And that I found very unbecoming.

I certainly didn't see the letter that way. It was quite moving and what was contained in it all seemed to be genuine thoughts. August, with his post in this thread, has taken away form both Steve Jobs and Jack Layton.

Jesus Christ...both men are dead and Jack Layton has his own thread...this one is for Steve Jobs. I like August's dying boomer angle, they seek to prolong death and aging forever despite certain odds against. The ads for erectile dysfunction medications are getting to be ridiculous...maybe you don't see these in Canada.

Anyway, recall that Steve Jobs miraculously jumped into the front of the line for a liver transplant back in 2009.

I think Jack and Steve were on top of the world prior to their unfortunate and early demises:

Jack getting the federal NDP to their greatest electoral outcome, and Steve getting Apple to be one of the most valuable companies in the world.

Great people are going to attract lots of attention so when they die there's going to be the annoyance of bloated and overexposed media coverage which then attracts the likes of August and Shady.

Soon the din will die down until the next great person dies.

...Great people are going to attract lots of attention so when they die there's going to be the annoyance of bloated and overexposed media coverage which then attracts the likes of August and Shady.

OK...so that raises an interesting question: Do we prefer Jobs' fame and success over a longer life? Or is it better to play it safe and live to be an obscure and tiny obituary in the local paper, dead at age 85? I've already written mine! ;)

OK...so that raises an interesting question: Do we prefer Jobs' fame and success over a longer life? Or is it better to play it safe and live to be an obscure and tiny obituary in the local paper, dead at age 85? I've already written mine! ;)

Well, Kurt Cobain thought it was better to burn out than fade away; but, he was just taking Neil Young to the next level.

I don't think people really get to choose - cancer kills people young and old, rich and poor.

My wife wonders if Jobs wished he worked more on his deathbed given how little time he had between stepping down and his demise.

I don't think there's really a choice of that kind to be made. Many die young without achieving any kind of fame, and many of the famous live to a ripe old age, and the inverse is also true. It seems unlikely to me that Jobs' early death is a result of him working himself into the grave.

In any case, people should aspire to realize their full potential in life.

I don't think there's really a choice of that kind to be made. Many die young without achieving any kind of fame, and many of the famous live to a ripe old age, and the inverse is also true. It seems unlikely to me that Jobs' early death is a result of him working himself into the grave.

True...Jobs' fate may have been sealed by genetics. But there is anecdotal evidence that high stress occupations take a greater toll on health compared to others.

In any case, people should aspire to realize their full potential in life.

The US Army ad campaign agrees...."Be All You Can Be"...while you're still alive!