Canada bans asbestos at home but refuses to stop exporting it to devel

The Canadian Medical Association has condemned the Conservative government for continuing to support Asbestos exports. This was prompted by the government’s behavior at the recent Rotterdam Convention where Canada blocked a move to list chrysotile asbestos as a hazardous substance.

Article here: http://envirogy.ca/2011/09/16/canadian-medical-association-condems-asbestos-exports/

Is this wrong? If other countries want to by it, should we stop them?

Of course this is wrong, Harper is immoral for allowing it. I would love to see someone intelligent try to defend it.

Asbestos is one of the most widely recognized carcinogens and has been outlawed by 40 nations—Canada excluded. We export it to developing nations where safety standards low and workers are exposed to the cancer-causing materials.

Under Stephen Harper, Canada exports over 200,000 tonnes of asbestos to poor and developing nations every year. Quebec's largest labour union and all the other party leaders have called for action, but Stephen Harper continues shilling for his corporate masters.

Edited by Charles Anthony
deleted re-copied Opening Post

Quebec's largest labour union and all the other party leaders have called for action, but Stephen Harper continues shilling for his corporate masters.

Complete nonsense. It's Quebec that specifically benefits from this, and they're the ones that don't want it to be stopped. Get your facts straight.

Of course this is wrong, Harper is immoral for allowing it. I would love to see someone intelligent try to defend it....

So this is a partisan shortcoming, that is, Canada didn't export asbestos until PM Harper came along? I find that very hard to beleive. PM Harper is "immoral" for allowing baby seal clubbing too?

Complete nonsense. It's Quebec that specifically benefits from this, and they're the ones that don't want it to be stopped. Get your facts straight.

Health Canada does a a responsibility to make health claims against it and it just like the new cigarette packs coming out. They know it cause cancer they know it cost health care, but its the greed for MONEY.

Quite true, Shady! Of course, no other party wants to incur the wrath of Quebecois voters so they will bitch at Harper to lead the way. Notice how the Opposition has yet to make any definite statement of their own. They just use their proxy support groups instead. It's the usual hypocrisy of politics. The Tories would have done the same thing if they were in Opposition.

Still, if either the Liberals or the NDP would declare themselves I would find it easier to hold some respect for them. I won't hold my breath, of course.

Meanwhile, once again Quebec gets away with something that no other province would.

Harper's job is to protect canadian jobs, what goes on in other countries has nothing to do with him. Don't like it ,don't buy it. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. And I doubt if this industry has much life left and harper will let it die on it's own. All these problems harper is facing is the same as chretien, so I ask, what did he do for 13 years.

Edited by PIK

Canada’s largest union and relative of victim join asbestos campaign - CUPE

Quebec’s largest labour group joins fight to ban asbestos

My Facts are straight...know what your talking about before you pop off. :P

Harper's job is to protect canadian jobs, what goes on in other countries has nothing to do with him. Don't like it ,don't buy it. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy it. And I doubt if this industry has much life left and harper will let it die on it's own. All these problems harper is facing is the same as chretien, so I ask, what did he do for 13 years.

Morally Retarded - When one has backwards morals or has no conscience. One who is morally retarded will likely believe things that are completely immoral are justifiable.

You are morally retarded.

Interesting. In your first source the union is CUPE, made up of government workers. In the second it's a tradesman's union. I don't think that is a union the asbestos workers belong to either.

Have you any data from the actual workers in the asbestos mines? If they were to suddenly lose their jobs, how many workers and their families would that be? I imagine that the mines are in outlying areas. What would that do to the viability of the towns where the workers live?

In other words, your sources are from people who are not in the slightest affected by the thought of closing the asbestos mines! It's very easy for them to take the stand they've taken.

Perhaps you have some polling information that will show us that the asbestos workers wouldn't mind losing their jobs, that it would not close down their towns or affect the voting patterns of the Quebec electorate as regards to the ruling party in Ottawa?

These factors are pertinent. Frankly, I can't see anything pertinent in your cites. Perhaps you could enlighten us further.