Should Harper Remove Dechert From Caucus?

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fire him immediately. Then have CSIS and the RCMP investigate the depth of his damage.
Ezra Levant

I agree with Levant on this one. It seems to me that public service comes with a price: one loses the right to a free private life. If private citizen Dechert wants to flirt with a Chinese journalist, then he is free to do so. But as a public servant, he lost that right.

To be fair: firing a politician for flirting with Chinese reporter would have diplomatic implications because it would mean the government of Canada officially endorses the view that Chinese reporters are spies - something the Chinese government denies. I don't think it is Canada's best interest to trigger a confrontation with China on this issue right now since Harper is trying to repair relations that were damaged by taking 'stands on principal'.

Edited by TimG

Non story? A question of treason is asked and that is not a story?

Treason? :lol: Not likely.

A married cabinet member chasing a bimbo who may well be a foreign agent is a non story?

We don't know if she's a foreign agent...and I don't think it's secrets that he wanted to share with her. I don't care if he has marriage problems, that has nothing to do with his job.

Treason? :lol: Not likely.

Come on! Where's your sense of drama? This woman is obviously a Bond-esque undercover Chinese operative using her feminine seductiveness to guile a parliamentary secretary into giving her access to the coveted microfiche containing Harper's plans for an Arctic lair inside an iceberg.

Oops... I've said too much...

I would love to see the Conservative Party fall apart, but not like this. The guy is only human. It doesn't matter whether you're working at Chapters stocking shelves or a minister in the federal government; people flirt with each other all the time. I think it's a bit much to ask people to give up their private life simply because they are a public servant and, in any case, they wouldn't do it and you couldn't control it.

Perhaps Ezra Levant is just jealous that no foreign nationals are flirting with him as a journalist. :lol:

Edited by cybercoma

I voted no, but he should be kicked out of cabinet, notwithstanding the fact he isn't IN cabinet. He's a parliamentary secretary, which, so far as I know means he's kind of an errand boy for the actual minister. Nonetheless, carrying on an affair with a Chinese woman who might be a spy is simply really rotten judgement for anyone in any position of responsibility.

I'm assuming that the Harper people are reflexively defending him in public even as they question him on every single thing he ever said to this woman on any subject, and any questions she asked him, and that he'll have zero access to sensitive documents and information henceforth. He will then likely be unceremoniously dropped, replaced by 'new blood' a year or so down the line.

I think he should lose his job, but not kick out of the party. Maybe he didn't give up any information but can we say, down the road when the two people relationship COULD become closer? His character is questioned by taking a marriage vow to his wife then flirting with another woman? Harper let most of his male minister gt away with many moral issues and I think it time to rein them in starting with this guy. Then again, he probably won't.

Very interesting. This all came to light because of Shi's husband. Seems to me he would have kept his mouth shut if he knew his wife was spying on her government's behalf. Either that or the object was more mischief (embarrassing the government) than spying.

Edited by Wilber

I would love to see the Conservative Party fall apart, but not like this. The guy is only human. It doesn't matter whether you're working at Chapters stocking shelves or a minister in the federal government; people flirt with each other all the time.
A clerk at Chapters is at most trusted with a cash register; politicians and civil servants act in the public interest. There's a big difference.
I voted no, but he should be kicked out of cabinet, notwithstanding the fact he isn't IN cabinet. He's a parliamentary secretary, which, so far as I know means he's kind of an errand boy for the actual minister.
Good point, Argus. Until this "scandal", I had never heard of Dechert and I'm still not sure if parliamentary secretaries have cabinet rank/limo/extra pay/staff.
Nonetheless, carrying on an affair with a Chinese woman who might be a spy is simply really rotten judgement for anyone in any position of responsibility.
It's not merely a question of bad judgment (although that's a factor). If blue-eyed private citizen Dechert wants to flirt with a Chinese journalist, then he is free to do so. I question however whether the Chinese journalist would respond to the entreaties of a private citizen - blue-eyes or not. It is this point that makes all the difference. IOW, she is interested in him because of his position, and that's all.

----

Harper has an admirable trait of standing up for people (unless the caucus never liked the person - eg. Guergis). Harper's has established his loyalty credentials for people lower on the food chain. In this case, he should let the guy go unless there are other facts yet to be made public.

Edited by August1991

A clerk at Chapters is at most trusted with a cash register; politicians and civil servants act in the public interest. There's a big difference.

I would like it very much if you could specifically outline where the betrayal of public trust is here. What are you suggesting happened? All I've seen so far is a public servant flirting with a journalist. Would it be different if he was flirting with a Canadian journalist? A British journalist? An American journalist?

I would like it very much if you could specifically outline where the betrayal of public trust is here.
The potential is there and IMHO, that's enough.
All I've seen so far is a public servant flirting with a journalist. Would it be different if he was flirting with a Canadian journalist? A British journalist? An American journalist?
You raise a good question. Would it be different if she had been a Canadian/British/French/Angolan journalist?

Sorry to go nuanced on you but it seems to me that the key distinction is whether she pursued this "relationship" because of his blue-eyes or his position. I'm betting it's the latter.

----

How many Chinese journalists respond to the flirts of clerks at Chapters?

Edited by August1991

Forget the clerks at Chapters reference. What I'm suggesting is that he's not the only public servant to flirt with people he comes into contact. It happens at every level in society and you're not going to stop it.

Now, you're making the suggestion that she pursued the relationship because of his position. To what end? You're being very vague with your suggestions here. What is it that you're implying?

I would love to see the Conservative Party fall apart, but not like this. The guy is only human. It doesn't matter whether you're working at Chapters stocking shelves or a minister in the federal government; people flirt with each other all the time. I think it's a bit much to ask people to give up their private life simply because they are a public servant and, in any case, they wouldn't do it and you couldn't control it.

Perhaps Ezra Levant is just jealous that no foreign nationals are flirting with him as a journalist. :lol:

Actually I would love to see the conservative party crumble under the same weight they try to lay on others!

WWWTT

The potential is there and IMHO, that's enough.

You raise a good question. Would it be different if she had been a Canadian/British/French/Angolan journalist?

Sorry to go nuanced on you but it seems to me that the key distinction is whether she pursued this "relationship" because of his blue-eyes or his position. I'm betting it's the latter.

----

How many Chinese journalists respond to the flirts of clerks at Chapters?

Is your wife Chinese?Have you had many Chinese girlfriends?

Something tells me the answer is no.

But somehow you are now an expert in what a Chinese female looks for in a male companion/mate.Or any female for that matter!

By the way my wife is Chinese!

WWWTT

By the way my wife is Chinese!

WWWTT

And I'm sure that she loves you for your blue eyes.

----

WWWTT, I am questioning why a Chinese journalist responded to flirts of a Canadian politician. I suspect that it had nothing to do with blue eyes and everything to do with his position. Politicians and public servants should know that many people - Chinese or otherwise - want to be friends with them because of their position, and that's all.

If politicians and public servants don't know this every minute of the day, then we, the public, should rudely awake them to the fact if they think otherwise.

BTW, I don't know if Dechert, or you, have blue eyes. But I know that Dechert doesn't work at Chapters. Maybe you do, and your wife loves you for the good man that you are.

Edited by August1991

I am questioning why a Chinese journalist responded to flirts of a Canadian politician.
Why would a journalist of any background flirt with a politician? Journalists are looking for information. Having well connected confidents is a good way to get information. The problem with this story is the presumption that a Chinese reporter must be a spy. It may be true but officially accusing a foreign national of being a spy is a not a good idea when that national's country has a history of acting childish.

That said, if this story was framed differently. If the media had covered journalism aspect more and accused Dechert of violating a trust by flitering with a journalist then the government could have probably turfed him without triggering a dipolmatic incident. What are the chances of a bunch of journalists making a stink about politicians flirting with journalists?

Edited by TimG