Obama's Protectionist Job Bills Is Bad For Canada

scribblet

Canadians should not be rooting for the Obama protectionist job bill to pass as it is not good for Canada. Obama's proposed billion $ package includes a requirement that all "iron, steel, and manufactured goods" used in public buildings or works be supplied by American firms.

Protectionist measures like this impede growth and kill jobs. We've been there before, when we had to fight for an exemption from the "Buy American" provisions in the 2009 stimulus package.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/09/14/portion-of-obamas-jobs-plan-concerns-canadian-government/

This should be in the US/Canada forum.

Of course Canadian businesses being locked out of US business is bad.

What good is an open border if money only flows one way?

Or rather what good is another border around Canada so that money only flows one way, rather than having easier dealings with the other countries now Canada is on the verge of becoming a protectorate where the US decides who can travel into Canada.

Of course we can buy US goods, but America isn't allowed to buy Canadian goods.

Wake the hell up Canada! The US is about itself canada is just a tool, they are using Canada.

Americans arn't above stepping all over Canadians, actually they enjoy it.

Canadians are grouped in with Gingers to be victims of hate crimes and entertainment via attacks.

If it wern't for Moslems Canada would likely be a victim more often.

Although you got to ask, just how many Canadian natural resource companies are still Canadian owned... US companies have been buying and scuttling industry here for years now.

Edited by William Ashley

Maybe not, but honestly, at this point, I think that Obama is a big drag on confidence. He just isn't saying what he needs to say or doing what he needs to do.

I think you overestimate what he really CAN do. Theres serious structural issues that he cant fix. And I think that congress is a way way way bigger drag on confidence then the whitehouse.

I think you overestimate what he really CAN do. Theres serious structural issues that he cant fix. And I think that congress is a way way way bigger drag on confidence then the whitehouse.

I'm not really saying that he can do anything, but the fact that he looks so weak and so unable to do anything (which is both his fault and the fault of congress) isn't helping things at all. Perhaps America needs someone new that can at least get something done?

I'm not really saying that he can do anything, but the fact that he looks so weak and so unable to do anything (which is both his fault and the fault of congress) isn't helping things at all. Perhaps America needs someone new that can at least get something done?

I think they need new political parties. I just cant imagine democrats or republicans coming up with a solution to ANYTHING. Changing out one single dude isnt gonna do much.

Edited by dre

Unfortunately, not only is Obama's jobs bill bad for Canada, his failed economic policies are even worse for us. We won't see any strong economic growth until he's voted out of office.

Let's not forget that Harper did his own version of "protectionism" (albeit in a slightly different manner...) by bailing out the auto companies. That was unjustifiable public support of a private enterprise. That's our "right-wing" leader pandering to unions and leftist politics about "saving jobs"...

Edited by Bob

I think they need new political parties. I just cant imagine democrats or republicans coming up with a solution to ANYTHING. Changing out one single dude isnt gonna do much.

That may be too. Right now, I wouldn't even care what got done, as long as it was something.

Let's not forget that Harper did his own version of "protectionism" (albeit in a slightly different manner...) by bailing out the auto companies. That was unjustifiable public support of a private enterprise. That's our "right-wing" leader pandering to unions and leftist politics about "saving jobs"...

I don't really consider the bailouts as protectionism, this bill is, but maybe there'll be another 11th hour waiver, and rightly so.

Maybe not, but honestly, at this point, I think that Obama is a big drag on confidence. He just isn't saying what he needs to say or doing what he needs to do.

I agree. But it's also what he's doing. Obamacare, like it or not, is a huge new regulatory burden on all businesses. So is his new EPA regulations, which recently closed over 20 powerplants, which as a result has sent energy prices even higher. He's got a moritorium on offshore drilling. As a result, rigs have moved to South America to do their drilling and exploration, sending the jobs, investment and tax revenue their way. He's also legally fighting American companies like Gibson Guitar and Boeing. Boeing wants to build a new plant, but the Obama administration won't let them build in the state they want to. It these types of actions that all add up to the giant Obama wet blanket on economic growth. If he's just get the hell out of the way, and let the economy do what it does, decent growth would return in a relatively short period of time.

I agree. But it's also what he's doing. Obamacare, like it or not, is a huge new regulatory burden on all businesses.

I tend to agree. The business I work at has just 4 people. Owner is currently trying to set up health insurance for just 2 of us (since him and another guy have health insurance through their wives and we need to keep costs down), and it's apparently an extreme pain to do under the new regs.

Reality check it it was Dalton McGunity that bailed out the Auto Companies not Stephen Harper.

PROVINCE OF ONTARIO. Other provinces didn't give a damn about Ontario's Auto industry, well enough not to chip in for the buy outs.

Edited by William Ashley

I agree. But it's also what he's doing. Obamacare, like it or not, is a huge new regulatory burden on all businesses. So is his new EPA regulations, which recently closed over 20 powerplants, which as a result has sent energy prices even higher. He's got a moritorium on offshore drilling. As a result, rigs have moved to South America to do their drilling and exploration, sending the jobs, investment and tax revenue their way. He's also legally fighting American companies like Gibson Guitar and Boeing. Boeing wants to build a new plant, but the Obama administration won't let them build in the state they want to. It these types of actions that all add up to the giant Obama wet blanket on economic growth. If he's just get the hell out of the way, and let the economy do what it does, decent growth would return in a relatively short period of time.

You may be surprised, but I agree with all of that. I would normally agree with many of the things that he's doing (although for the most part the healthcare bill was a failure), but not now. If it wasn't for the US and it's inability to grow, Canada would be absolutely booming right now. We were just starting into all of this when the economy in the US went south the first time.

If it wasn't for the US and it's inability to grow, Canada would be absolutely booming right now. We were just starting into all of this when the economy in the US went south the first time.

Exactly. Even with just modest American economic growth, Canada would be roaring along. Hopefull we'll see that in a year or so down the road.

Exactly. Even with just modest American economic growth, Canada would be roaring along. Hopefull we'll see that in a year or so down the road.

I forgot to add Europe. With the free trade agreements getting signed, taxes being lowered, infrastructure being improved, and trade being diversified, if the US and Europe could even partly get their acts together, we'd be doing really good.

It's also important to add that even now, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Newfoundland and Labrador are doing quite well. BC, Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes aren't...because of the US and Europe....and in BCs case, Japan.

Edited by Smallc

Huh? It's not a factor to consider at all for the average American voter...it would be like worrying about "relations" with Santa Claus.

You either follow the treaties you sign, like the Free Trade Agreement, or you renounce them and we'll start selling our oil to the Chinese. They've already offered to finance a pipeline and oil terminal on the Wet coast.

Of course, the FTA says we have to sell them to the Americans instead. But hey, if there's no FTA...

You either follow the treaties you sign, like the Free Trade Agreement, or you renounce them and we'll start selling our oil to the Chinese. They've already offered to finance a pipeline and oil terminal on the Wet coast.

That's coming anyway actually. There's enough oil to go around:

http://www.northerngateway.ca/

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Newfoundland and Labrador all have increasing oil production.