Mayhem in Tottenham U.K.

$2 Million for the queen when she came her last year. About the same for the newlyweds this year.

Only in Canada you say?

Pity...

And? So? We spend $24 million a year to generate interest in Canada as a destination. If the tourism officials had their way, they would have Mr and Mrs Cambridge here twice a year and it would be a huge savings with increased efficiency.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And? So? We spend $24 million a year to generate interest in Canada as a destination. If the tourism officials had their way, they would have Mr and Mrs Cambridge here twice a year and it would be a huge savings with increased efficiency.

Very good. Then they should be able to solve their economic problems next time by sending them to Clapham Junction...

Seriously, I do support such grass-roots methods of maintaining law and order. Such acts of violence need to be marginalized. Not just by the authorities, whom many hold in contempt but by ordinary citizens.

In the 'olden days' when men were men, if a bunch of teenagers misbehaved someone would clap them one up the side of the head. Parents and responsible citizens speaking out, showing what's acceptible behaviour and what's not. That's what a community needs.

Just like in the movie "El Dorado"

Seriously, I do support such grass-roots methods of maintaining law and order. Such acts of violence need to be marginalized. Not just by the authorities, whom many hold in contempt but by ordinary citizens.

In the 'olden days' when men were men, if a bunch of teenagers misbehaved someone would clap them one up the side of the head. Parents and responsible citizens speaking out, showing what's acceptible behaviour and what's not. That's what a community needs.

Just like in the movie "El Dorado"

Except now the kids are so tough that any adult who tries to put them in their place will be swarmed and beaten by a mob of the little shits.

Edited by Black Dog

Unemployment is falling at its fastest pace in a decade, official figures reveal, in a boost for George Osborne. The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the number of people unemployed fell by 88,000 in the three months to April, to 2.43 million — the largest drop since the summer of 2000. The unemployment rate was 7.7%, down from 8% three months earlier.

Why did you omit this?

But the more timely claimant count measure of unemployment showed a much worse than expected rise of 19,600 in May to 1.49 million.

In any case $10 says the rate at which the income gap grew accelerated and that probably rots a lot more people's socks faster than anything.

Except now the kids are so tough that any adult who tries to put them in their place will be swarmed and beaten by a mob of the little shits.

At one time, there was zero tolerance for burning public and private property, and looting businesses. It seems to me that society, in Canada anyway, has evolved into accepting hooliganism as a legitimate form of protest. Youth are pushing the limit to how far they can go. Throw in a lax criminal justice system and, well, we get mayhem and lawlessness.

At one time, there was zero tolerance for burning public and private property, and looting businesses. It seems to me that society, in Canada anyway, has evolved into accepting hooliganism as a legitimate form of protest. Youth are pushing the limit to how far they can go. Throw in a lax criminal justice system and, well, we get mayhem and lawlessness.

At one time there was a lot more expectation of honesty and decency, especially from the wealthiest and most powerful, who have collectively been pushing the limits of how much people will tolerate for...a little too long apparently.

At one time there was a lot more expectation of honesty and decency, especially from the wealthiest and most powerful, who have collectively been pushing the limits of how much people will tolerate for...a little too long apparently.

You talk as if the wealthy and powerful intentionally set out to challenge people by raising the bar as to what they would tolerate. The wealthy only do what they know best which is to create more wealth; that is what drives them. Let's face it they are successful and I for one do not begrudge their accomplishments. In addition, you cannot ignore the positive contributions that people with money have contributed to thriving economies. If there is something to review regarding the monetary contributions of the most wealthy, I would suggest is the taxation system. Perhaps there is something to say about the most wealthy paying their fair share of taxes, which in turn would help pay to sustain social programs.

Speaking of social programs, in your quest to identify a root cause of the animals rising up in anger, you should pay some attention to successive governments that over a number of years, have showered citizens with free goodies and entitlements. This has created a generation that expects everything free, when they want it, without earning it. They believe government holds the key to all their problems because government has led them down that path.

in Canada anyway, has evolved into accepting hooliganism as a legitimate form of protest.

Again, who is accepting it?

These riots are nothing more than soccer hooliganism on a grand scale...and just as politically motivated. The motivations are fueled by lager, consumer goods and pure ardrenalin excitement.

Trust me, this ain't the revolution

These riots are nothing more than soccer hooliganism on a grand scale...and just as politically motivated. The motivations are fueled by lager, consumer goods and pure ardrenalin excitement.
The Vancouver Stanley Cup riot on steriods. Bored middle class kids out for excitment. Edited by TimG

True. Yet, this does not contradict my comments to Eyeball.

"Humans are the best on the planet at imitating. And we tend to imitate what is successful. If you see that people are walking out of a shop with a widescreen TV and trainers, a certain kind of person thinks why shouldn't I do that?"

Workman argues that some of those taking part may adopt an ad hoc moral code in their minds - "these rich people have things I don't have so it's only right that I take it".

---

This idea of a mob mentality can be found in football hooliganism. Former Manchester United hooligan Tony O'Reilly, says there is a similarity between this week's looting and the football violence he took part in for three decades.

It boils down to the buzz, he says. "It's an excitement. You can't take away that thrill - the roar of the crowd. That sense of a group of men, something's happening."

For most, the motivation is the thrill, with the "free stuff" just a bonus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14463452

Oh, I agree.

You have been wrong practically every time you make a prediction, MDancer. I hope that's not the case this time.

Riots spread for a fourth night

Thousands more police officers flooded London streets Tuesday in a bid to end Britain's worst rioting in a generation as nervous shopkeepers closed early...

... The chaos has spread to other cities. A police station in the central England city of Nottingham was firebombed by a 40-strong mob... hundreds of youths battled police in the northwestern city of Manchester...

... In London, groups of young people set buildings, vehicles and garbage dumps alight, looted stores and pelted police officers... The Football Association called off England's friendly against Netherlands on Wednesday because of the widespread rioting and looting in the capital... West Ham, a football team, confirmed it had canceled a match planned for Tuesday as a precaution...

... Police have made a rare decision to deploy armored vehicles in some of the worst-hit districts... in the central city of Birmingham- a police station was set ablaze — violence the western city of Bristol and the northwestern city of Liverpool.

Authorities acknowledge that major new bouts of violence have badly stretched their resources.

Please do us a favour and stop making predictions...

You talk as if the wealthy and powerful intentionally set out to challenge people by raising the bar as to what they would tolerate. The wealthy only do what they know best which is to create more wealth; that is what drives them. Let's face it they are successful and I for one do not begrudge their accomplishments.

They did what was best for them which included intentionally tilting the playing field as far in their direction as they could and our elected representatives and senior civil servants accommodated them.

In addition, you cannot ignore the positive contributions that people with money have contributed to thriving economies.

I'm not, I just think the negative things that wealthy people with little or no scruples did are starting to outweigh the positive.

If there is something to review regarding the monetary contributions of the most wealthy, I would suggest is the taxation system. Perhaps there is something to say about the most wealthy paying their fair share of taxes, which in turn would help pay to sustain social programs.

Well, I would suggest doing something fast because we're pretty much circling the edge and spiraling down the throat of a real bottleneck.

Speaking of social programs, in your quest to identify a root cause of the animals rising up in anger, you should pay some attention to successive governments that over a number of years, have showered citizens with free goodies and entitlements. This has created a generation that expects everything free, when they want it, without earning it. They believe government holds the key to all their problems because government has led them down that path.

You say that as if the angry young people in the streets of the UK intentionally raised themselves up to be rioters. What has been created is a generation that is being forced to come to terms with the previous generations squandering and hoarding of the planet's natural capital. Our problem is their reaction to the moral imperative our generation is trying to impose on them to still produce something. With what?

Obviously our generation screwed up in it's calculations of when reality would start to bite. Now what, crack down and get tough? Good luck with that.

Evidence? Cite?

Actually he's right, the neighbourhood hit first is known as little Mogadishu, and if you watch BBC news, which I have been doing, the criminals are, mainly non white, not all, but in the main. Some like to play it as a multi-racial, equal-opportunity riot though, not sure about Manchester and the other areas where it's spreading to, it's contagious.

This is not an 'anti-poverty' revolution, it's about young people brought up in home with no father, no moral grounding who have been brought up knowing nothing but the dole and public housing. I am reassured by some comments though that the spreading riots have nothing to do with utterly worthless young males who clearly have nothing to offer the nation but bestial violence

It's time the police started using more force to protect the innocent victims.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3742163/Do-you-know-a-riot-yob.html

Actually he's right, the neighbourhood hit first is known as little Mogadishu,

cite....

The borough is very ethnically diverse. It has extreme contrasts:[4] areas in the west, such as Highgate, Muswell Hill and Crouch End are among the most prosperous in the country; in the east of the borough, some wards are classified as being among the most deprived 10% in the country.[5]

The population grew by 8.6% between 1991 and 2006 and is projected to grow by a further 5.4% by 2016 to 233,125. The male to female ratio is 50:50 and the age structure is similar to that of London as a whole although younger than the national average.

Haringey has a high proportion of young adults in the 20-39 age range and a low proportion of residents aged 45 and over. The borough has a high proportion of lone parent households.[16]

The ethnic composition of Haringey's residents is 65.5% White, 20.1% Black, 6.7% Asian, 4.6% Mixed, 1.1% Chinese and 2% Other. An estimated 193 languages are spoken in the borough.[17][18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Borough_of_Haringey#Demographics

They did what was best for them which included intentionally tilting the playing field as far in their direction as they could and our elected representatives and senior civil servants accommodated them.

I'm amazed. I actually got you to acknowledge that the rich are not entirely responsible for getting richer.

Well, I would suggest doing something fast because we're pretty much circling the edge and spiraling down the throat of a real bottleneck.

I don't think the situation is as bad as you make it out to be.

You say that as if the angry young people in the streets of the UK intentionally raised themselves up to be rioters.

Not at all. Largely, mob mentality was a play.

What has been created is a generation that is being forced to come to terms with the previous generations squandering and hoarding of the planet's natural capital.

Oh yeah. And they'll be crying all the way to the bank when their parents croak and they collect their inheritance. "Those greedy boomers." :lol: