Canada's Involvement in Syria

Guest Derek L

RNG wasn't speaking to the matter of oil production, but of political stability.

I know, but a democratic nation’s economic health & political stability tend to go hand in hand…….Over the last few years as more Iraqi’s have gained employment, been able to put a roof over their heads and feed their families, the violence (as compared to a few years ago) has dropped……..Even the ongoing dispute between Maliki & Allawi over government appointments is a sign of progress in a sense, better then when Saddam dealt with “political opponents” with torture chambers & bullets from his secret police…….all the while, Iraqi Oil production is increasing.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally wrong.

Really...here is a recent example:

SNC Lavalin Wins $13.5m Iraq Contract

Reuters reports that Iraq has signed a consultancy contract valued at around $13.5 million with Canada’s SNC Lavalin Group (SNC.TO) for a strategic oil pipeline project.

“Today we have signed a contract with an international consultancy company to execute an important and vital project, which is an oil export facility,” Oil Minister Abdul-Kareem Luaibi said at a Baghdad news conference.

http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/2011/05/13/snc-lavalin-wins-13-5m-iraq-contract/

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Really...here is a recent example:

SNC Lavalin Wins $13.5m Iraq Contract

Reuters reports that Iraq has signed a consultancy contract valued at around $13.5 million with Canada’s SNC Lavalin Group (SNC.TO) for a strategic oil pipeline project.

“Today we have signed a contract with an international consultancy company to execute an important and vital project, which is an oil export facility,” Oil Minister Abdul-Kareem Luaibi said at a Baghdad news conference.

http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/2011/05/13/snc-lavalin-wins-13-5m-iraq-contract/

How recent is recent? I went to their website, and couldn't find anything about this. A $13.5m contract for a pidlyassed Canadian company and they aren't trumpeting it. What gives?

I still have all kinds of contacts in the Canadian oilpatch, and this news would have been blasted around the insiders.

http://www.snclavalin.com/news.php?lang=en

How recent is recent? I went to their website, and couldn't find anything about this. A $13.5m contract for a pidlyassed Canadian company and they aren't trumpeting it. What gives?

That's because SNC Lavalin is Canada's version of Haliburton. They would rather keep these fat Iraq services contracts out of the public eye because of what happened in 2004 for production of small arms ammunition (SNC - TEC), since sold off to General Dynamics. How recent in this case is May 2011 based on the Reuters.

I still have all kinds of contacts in the Canadian oilpatch, and this news would have been blasted around the insiders.

Here's another one from 2009:

Canada's biggest engineering and construction firm said Tuesday it will be returning to Iraq for the first time in decades after being chosen to partner with a local company to do pre-engineering work on the construction of two natural gas fired power stations in the cities of Hilla and Karbala, south of Baghdad.

http://www.680news.com/business/article/10687--quebec-s-snc-lavalin-acquires-leading-brazilian-engineering-firm

There's a lot more to the oil services market than Canada...Iraq and Libya are hot...hot...hot! After PM Paul Martin begged President Bush for a piece of the Iraq action, it was off to Libya for some coffee with Ghadaffi! ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest Derek L

That's because SNC Lavalin is Canada's version of Haliburton. They would rather keep these fat Iraq services contracts out of the public eye because of what happened in 2004 for production of small arms ammunition (SNC - TEC), since sold off to General Dynamics. How recent in this case is May 2011 based on the Reuters.

There's a lot more to the oil services market than Canada...Iraq and Libya are hot...hot...hot!

SNC Lavalin also built (water) pipelines, the airport in Benghazi and a super-max prison for the Gaddafi regime.....

SNC Lavalin also built (water) pipelines, the airport in Benghazi and a super-max prison for the Gaddafi regime.....

Now you're talking....they are on a roll! SNC Lavalin is also busy as hell in Afghanistan. There is lots of money to be made, and Canadian contractors want their peace piece of the action!

Guest Derek L

Now you're talking....they are on a roll! SNC Lavalin is also busy as hell in Afghanistan. There is lots of money to be made, and Canadian contractors want their peace piece of the action!

*Cues Darth Vader music*

Well, at least Power Corp has stayed above the fray in Iraq and Libya........ ;)

Here's another one from 2009:

Canada's biggest engineering and construction firm said Tuesday it will be returning to Iraq for the first time in decades after being chosen to partner with a local company to do pre-engineering work on the construction of two natural gas fired power stations in the cities of Hilla and Karbala, south of Baghdad.

http://www.680news.com/business/article/10687--quebec-s-snc-lavalin-acquires-leading-brazilian-engineering-firm

There's a lot more to the oil services market than Canada...Iraq and Libya are hot...hot...hot! After PM Paul Martin begged President Bush for a piece of the Iraq action, it was off to Libya for some coffee with Ghadaffi! ;)

2009? Sort of a different ballgame. But keep pitching if it gives you pleasure.

Edited by RNG

*Cues Darth Vader music*

Well, at least Power Corp has stayed above the fray in Iraq and Libya........ ;)

Hey, it's all good. I think some Canadians purposely choose to ignore this aspect of international affairs and relationships that are directly supported by their government. It's just easier to point at the Americans! ;)

2009? Sort of a different ballgame. But keep pitching if it gives you pleasure.

...and this ballgame has many innings extended over many years. I don't know why you seek to deflect the obvious. It's OK...there are contracts to be let and money to be made....Canada should compete just like everyone else. Don't be afraid to admit it.

...and this ballgame has many innings extended over many years. I don't know why you seek to deflect the obvious. It's OK...there are contracts to be let and money to be made....Canada should compete just like everyone else. Don't be afraid to admit it.

Oh yeah, in other places, but in Libya since the problems started, no way. My buds got balls and ethics.

Oh yeah, in other places, but in Libya since the problems started, no way. My buds got balls and ethics.

Are you joking? Since the "problems" started? Your bud's "balls and ethics" don't mean jack when stuff like this has been going down for years:

A recent WikiLeaks cable says Petro-Canada made a 30-year deal with Muammar Gaddafi's National Oil Corporation in 2008. To close the deal,
Petro-Can "swallowed hard" and paid a $1 billion signing bonus

...Under the new deals, Petro-Canada has committed to pay a $1 billion signing bonus and invest $3.5 billion in the redevelopment of several large producing fields, and $460 million in oil and gas exploration. Petro-Canada will pay 50% of all development costs and 100% of all exploration costs. The company had to accept a lower production share (a flat 12% for all six contracts, regardless of location), but hopes to double its current production levels to at least 200,000 barrels of oil per day over the next five to seven years. LIBYA OF GROWING IMPORTANCE TO PETRO-CANADA ....

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Federal-Politics/2011/02/21/SigningBonus/

Are you joking? Since the "problems" started? Your bud's "balls and ethics" don't mean jack when stuff like this has been going down for years:

A recent WikiLeaks cable says Petro-Canada made a 30-year deal with Muammar Gaddafi's National Oil Corporation in 2008. To close the deal,
Petro-Can "swallowed hard" and paid a $1 billion signing bonus

...Under the new deals, Petro-Canada has committed to pay a $1 billion signing bonus and invest $3.5 billion in the redevelopment of several large producing fields, and $460 million in oil and gas exploration. Petro-Canada will pay 50% of all development costs and 100% of all exploration costs. The company had to accept a lower production share (a flat 12% for all six contracts, regardless of location), but hopes to double its current production levels to at least 200,000 barrels of oil per day over the next five to seven years. LIBYA OF GROWING IMPORTANCE TO PETRO-CANADA ....

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Federal-Politics/2011/02/21/SigningBonus/

I'd love to know what year this claim of yours happened.

Guest Derek L

Hey, it's all good. I think some Canadians purposely choose to ignore this aspect of international affairs and relationships that are directly supported by their government. It's just easier to point at the Americans! ;)

LOL, it's true, like the "morale stance" we took on Vietnam…….We won’t send troops, but we’re more than happy to supply the USAF with bombs………I remember reading somewhere that over 75% of the 2.7 million tons dropped in South East Asia where either WW II surplus or Canadian made…….Back then, the CBC never gave the full Canadian perspective on Arc Light ;)

Hows the old saying go: “When you point a finger, there’s always three pointing back at yourself”……unless of course one was a victim of Canadian made napalm :o

LOL, it's true, like the "morale stance" we took on Vietnam…….We won’t send troops, but we’re more than happy to supply the USAF with bombs………

Looking back on it....that approach makes perfect sense for Canada. There was a portion of the population who could/would not accept the reality at the time (or today), so a political and economic charade was invented to pacify them. These same folks believe that which they can't ignore must certainly be very recent policy faults of the "Cons", completely oblivious to what has gone on regardless of the ruling party.

As an American, it is far more interesting to me what Canada has actually done and continues to do regardless of the smoke and mirrors needed for the domestic show and obfuscation for home consumption. But I understand why that show is necessary. It's like a hot dog factory for Toronto street meat....some Canadians just don't want to know how they are made! ;)

Guest Derek L

Looking back on it....that approach makes perfect sense for Canada. There was a portion of the population who could/would not accept the reality at the time (or today), so a political and economic charade was invented to pacify them. These same folks believe that which they can't ignore must certainly be very recent policy faults of the "Cons", completely oblivious to what has gone on regardless of the ruling party.

As an American, it is far more interesting to me what Canada has actually done and continues to do regardless of the smoke and mirrors needed for the domestic show and obfuscation for home consumption. But I understand why that show is necessary. It's like a hot dog factory for Toronto street meat....some Canadians just don't want to know how they are made! ;)

Exactly, from a political perspective, saying we are involved in Libya to protect Canadian corporate interests, the same corporations that many Canadians are unaware make-up parts of their investment portfolio, is a lot more complicated to explain to the average voter……much easier to say “Humanitarian reasons” and then the average Joe changes the channel………

Perhaps we can borrow Karl Rove, I’m sure he could spin the war to the Canadian public……Perhaps protecting the publics RRSPs is in fact a Humanitarian gesture?

Edited by Derek L

Exactly, from a political perspective, saying we are involved in Libya to protect Canadian corporate interests, the same corporations that many Canadians are unaware make-up parts of their investment portfolio, is a lot more complicated to explain to the average voter……much easier to say “Humanitarian reasons” and then the average Joe changes the channel………

Yep....this is also how we got "Responsibility to Protect"...the perfect framework for a middle power to get a "seat at the table", influence policy, and drop some bombs!

Perhaps we can borrow Karl Rove, I’m sure he could spin the war to the Canadian public……Perhaps protecting the publics RRSPs is in fact a Humanitarian gesture?

It surely is....all he has to do is weave the downfall of affordable health care into the mix and more Canadians will get with the program. There is a tug-o-war in progress, and the "Cons" are winning.

Guest Derek L

Yep....this is also how we got "Responsibility to Protect"...the perfect framework for a middle power to get a "seat at the table", influence policy, and drop some bombs!

For the life of me, I don’t understand why many Canadians fear the “military-industrial complex”…….it’s something to be embraced……..I went heavy on US defence stocks after the USS Cole bombing, in the thought that someone was about to receive a Tomahawk party, only to make a King’s ransom 11 months later……..

It surely is....all he has to do is weave the downfall of affordable health care into the mix and more Canadians will get with the program. There is a tug-o-war in progress, and the "Cons" are winning.

Better yet, draw the parallel between the Alberta tar sands & that new CT machine at the local hospital.

Edited by Derek L

For the life of me, I don’t understand why many Canadians fear the “military-industrial complex”…….it’s something to be embraced……..I went heavy on US defence stocks after the USS Cole bombing, in the thought that someone was about to receive a Tomahawk party, only to make a King’s ransom 11 months later……..

If you are a defense contractor, your goal is to create a weapon the military will use in battle. So you are banking on wars or perpetual war to keep that money train going. No wars, no need for the MIC. Lobby the gov to get into wars so you can keep selling weapons. Create a problem to offer a solution.

The reason why you made money, is because the weapons was chosen to be used to kill or to destroy. You are not investing in defense, you are investing in death.

Edited by GostHacked

That’s not really true, as I’ve outlined above, most of Western Europe purchases Libyan Oil, and over 90% of Libyan Oil is extracted and processed by Western European oil companies…….

Patently false..

The National Oil Corporation (NOC) is the national oil company of Libya. It dominates Libya's oil industry, along with a number of smaller subsidiaries, which combined account for around half of the country's oil output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Oil_Corporation