This is why I don't follow team sports

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/06/15/stanley.cup/index.html?&hpt=hp_c1

(CNN) -- The Boston Bruins won their first Stanley Cup in 39 years, defeating the Vancouver Canucks 4-0 Wednesday night in the seventh and deciding game of the National Hockey League's annual championship.

The loss didn't go over well with hundreds of mostly young Canuck fans, who took to the streets and set several overturned vehicles afire a few blocks from Rogers Arena where the game was played.

Some fans stopped to pose in front of the flames. Others danced on top of another overturned vehicle. A dull cloud of gray smoke choked some areas of downtown.

What the hell is wrong with people and team sports? Why the hell do they riot after their team looses?? Of all things to get upset over. Absolutely shameful.

Darn it GH, you beat me to the punch! This is a topic I was going to post about but first I had to go out and mix up some of my "super soil" and get the cucumbers and spaghetti squash planted. When I got back in I found you'd already posted this.

Frankly I find organized sports to be about as exciting as watching paint dry thats why I don't waste any time at all on them. This sort of moronic behaviour merely serves to affirm my dislike for sports. Granted this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. Once is one too many times for this sort of crap.

Darn it GH, you beat me to the punch! This is a topic I was going to post about but first I had to go out and mix up some of my "super soil" and get the cucumbers and spaghetti squash planted. When I got back in I found you'd already posted this.

Frankly I find organized sports to be about as exciting as watching paint dry thats why I don't waste any time at all on them. This sort of moronic behaviour merely serves to affirm my dislike for sports. Granted this sort of thing doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. Once is one too many times for this sort of crap.

People get caught up in the emotion, mob mentality. There is no need for this shit. The more shit people break the more it ends up costing them through taxes to replace/repair things. Idiots should have just went to the pub, celebrate that their team was in the finals and go home to bed.

Just retarded.

To use this as an excuse as to why you don't watch team sports is pathetic. I don't let the actions of others determine whether I find something worthwhile and/or entertaining. Not to mention that these types of incidents aren't that common. Miami just lost the NBA finals. No riots. Get a grip guys.

To use this as an excuse as to why you don't watch team sports is pathetic. I don't let the actions of others determine whether I find something worthwhile and/or entertaining. Not to mention that these types of incidents aren't that common. Miami just lost the NBA finals. No riots. Get a grip guys.

I don't watch team sports cause it's just about the most boring thing on Earth. I'd rather watch the grass grow. The riots only further illustrate the shear idiocy of the obsessed fans who for some reason think these events are so fascinating and engaging and worth rioting over. And while riots might not be "common", they are far from rare. There is unrest after football games here all the freaking time.

I don't watch team sports cause it's just about the most boring thing on Earth. I'd rather watch the grass grow. The riots only further illustrate the shear idiocy of the obsessed fans who for some reason think these events are so fascinating and engaging and worth rioting over. And while riots might not be "common", they are far from rare. There is unrest after football games here all the freaking time.

Good point. Soccer sees many riots.

Personally I love hockey, but I am a player, not a watcher. Despite that I play 2-3 times a week, I hardly even know the names of players in the NHL.

I never liked the Canucks, they play like a bunch of Euro-pansies. When the going gets tough, they whimper, and fail. And that is how Boston beat them... guts, grit, courage, all the good things that sports can teach people.

Those losers who rioted are the result of years of leftist liberal decay. They only seek pleasure through entertainment. The presence of many news reporters and cameras served to encourage them to continue. And the thousands who stayed there to watch and video it with their uber-gay cell phone cameras, created more problems for the police by getting in the way. They should all have been water-cannoned and shot at with plastic bullets.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

Those losers who rioted are the result of years of leftist liberal decay. They only seek pleasure through entertainment. The presence of many news reporters and cameras served to encourage them to continue. And the thousands who stayed there to watch and video it with their uber-gay cell phone cameras, created more problems for the police by getting in the way. They should all have been water-cannoned and shot at with plastic bullets.

I think those cell phone and other cameras and things like YouTube and Facebook are going to cause a lot of those perps some grief once they hit the internet.

I think those cell phone and other cameras and things like YouTube and Facebook are going to cause a lot of those perps some grief once they hit the internet.

And I think you just hit the nail right on the head with that post.

A Facebook campaign that aimed to identify rioters and looters had attracted almost 20,000 people in less than 12 hours.

Witnesses were encouraged to post pictures of rioters in the act, in the hopes that they might be recognized and identified.

"People need to be held accountable for their actions and face the consequences under any circumstances," Jaime Porteous wrote on the group's Facebook wall.

"Prosecute the thugs," wrote Lorraine Bennett. "Clearly they hate the Canucks, they hate Vancouver."

A second Facebook group launched Wednesday called for Vancouver residents to clean up after the riots.

The "Post Riot Clean-Up — Let's help Vancouver" group had more than 12,500 people Thursday morning saying they would attend.

"Invite all of your friends! Let's see if we can get Vancouver looking like a new city by noon Thursday!" says the page creator, Smitty Smith.

A new site dubbed the Vancouver 2011 Riot Criminal List has been created on the microblogging service Tumblr, calling for pictures to help identify rioters.

Const. Jana McGuinness said Vancouver police are very interested in any photos and will release details later Thursday on how the public can submit them.

Facebook

First of all, Boston deserve to win because they made it happen and Vancouver didn't. Secondly, what part did liquor play apart of this? Reports by viewers on the news said rioters were drunk and the guy that owned the green pickup, he was over heard saying that if Vancouver didn't win, he was turning over his truck. How many of these guys were from Vancouver? Some of them reminded me of the guys in TO. at the G20. It's really sad that the city of Vancouver and Canada is going to have live this down on the world stage. The US news is buzzing with pictures on their news networks. One Canadian news reporter said that Canadians, especially Vancouver EXPECTED them to win. Well, there nothing wrong in be positive, but in hockey or any sport, this is what happens when being OVER positive, people react negatively and cause damage. Sad.

Seems to me like people got what they wanted... that includes businesses in the downtown core. Theyre plan to avoid problems after the riot in 94? Put big screen TV's on the building and try to draw the biggest crowd possible. At the end of the day businesses made way more money selling that mob beer and food than the riots will cost.

I think some people are confusing causation with correlation.

To the extent that sports (whether team or not) attracts certain characters (usually young males) into large groups there will always be opportunity for violence (soccer hooligans/Vancouver rioters).

As for letting such stupidity be a factor in whether or not to watch a sport?

I agree with Shady on this one.

Seems to me like people got what they wanted... that includes businesses in the downtown core. Theyre plan to avoid problems after the riot in 94? Put big screen TV's on the building and try to draw the biggest crowd possible. At the end of the day businesses made way more money selling that mob beer and food than the riots will cost.

Seems to me that businesses pay a lot of taxes (property in particular) so why didn't any of that translate into Vancouver officals taking proper precautions.

Why didn't police use rubber bullets, water canons or other measures more effectively?

I think it's because they were lulled into unpreparedness due to the success of the Olympics.

The problem being that the typical Olympic fan is not the same person as the typical Canucks fan.

Hence the riots last night.

Seems to me that businesses pay a lot of taxes (property in particular) so why didn't any of that translate into Vancouver officals taking proper precautions.

Why didn't police use rubber bullets, water canons or other measures more effectively?

I think it's because they were lulled into unpreparedness due to the success of the Olympics.

The problem being that the typical Olympic fan is not the same person as the typical Canucks fan.

I think its because they got greedy. They actively encouraged gigantic crowds to form in the downtown core because you can make a gigantic mountain of cash selling them food and beer. It came back to bite them in the ass... stupid things happen to stupid people!

On local radio, I was listening to a retired VPD cop with family still serving on the force. One sided, but he was flapping about budget and manpower cuts, and the boots on ground were desperate for more hands, but the powers that be wouldn't allow it.

Would not surprise me at all, be interesting to see the report when it's done.

The Boston team had to be whisked away to a safe location elsewhere. I was disgusted by this debacle and feel it is an insult and humiliation to Canadians. Down with the Vancouverites. Buncha limp noodles anyways. My interactions with the people of that city have always been irritating. When I do business with them, they can never figure out what the hell they actually want.

Those drugged-out zipper heads should have had their bongs blown away, by water-canons

On local radio, I was listening to a retired VPD cop with family still serving on the force. One sided, but he was flapping about budget and manpower cuts, and the boots on ground were desperate for more hands, but the powers that be wouldn't allow it.

Would not surprise me at all, be interesting to see the report when it's done.

Listening to another VPD member who was also a cop in the UK. He said FIFA and the local clubs are required to pick up a lot of the policing costs when it comes to football matches. We should be doing the same thing to the NHL and other pro leagues.

It's interesting how Premier Clark is going on about prosecuting these people to the fullest after she said policing the event is a municipal matter and judges are canceling court dates because the province has cut back so much on the sheriff service that there aren't enough of them to cover the existing trials. Pure hot air.

I think its because they got greedy. They actively encouraged gigantic crowds to form in the downtown core because you can make a gigantic mountain of cash selling them food and beer. It came back to bite them in the ass... stupid things happen to stupid people!

After the 1994 riots Vancouver became the no fun city.

Then they relaxed things over time and this culminated in a very successful and fun Olympics with just as many people downtown.

There should have been more police because this type of crowd is different from an Olympics crowd.

Personally, I hope the Canucks never make the final again so this kind of crap doesn't happen.

If they do make it again then I hope the city and cops do more than shutter liquore stores at 4 in the afternoon.

The solution is obvious: no more street parties and no more fun.

Can't blame business for that.

After the 1994 riots Vancouver became the no fun city.

Then they relaxed things over time and this culminated in a very successful and fun Olympics with just as many people downtown.

There should have been more police because this type of crowd is different from an Olympics crowd.

Personally, I hope the Canucks never make the final again so this kind of crap doesn't happen.

If they do make it again then I hope the city and cops do more than shutter liquore stores at 4 in the afternoon.

The solution is obvious: no more street parties and no more fun.

Can't blame business for that.

What happened after Axel failed to show Guns N' Roses?

Why did the monster trucks promise they're never coming back?

How much does it cost to police the fireworks every year?

This might be the worst, but it's not exactly new.