Newspapers so far endorsing Conservatives almost exclusively

We haven't heard on a bunch of them but once again we've got pretty overwhelming support from the printed media for the conservatives. The Liberals are in shambles and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the NDP's platform was meant for a party who never intended to win. It's an unrealistic pile of garbage.

From the Waterloo Record (a Torstar subsidiary):

However, Canadians should be concerned that the higher corporate taxes and barriers on foreign investment he advocates will kill economic and job growth. Layton promises tens of billions of dollars in new spending. He says his cap-and-trade program to cut greenhouse gas emissions would raise $3.6 billion in his first year to pay for other environmental initiatives. Not only is this ambitious, it is impossible to set up such a program so quickly. Yet, so many NDP plans rest on this infirm ground.

Overall, the NDP platform appears designed for an election campaign the party thought it could never win. Layton talks fiscal prudence. But his economic plan is reckless and would lead Canada in the wrong direction.

At the very least, Canadians should look beyond Layton’s confident smile to the fine print of his party platform before entrusting him with a vote. And they should also question whether a party that won so few seats in the last election — just 37 — is ready to hold the reins of power.

http://www.therecord.com/opinion/editorial/article/523785--record-s-view-tough-choice-facing-canadians-in-election

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't heard on a bunch of them but once again we've got pretty overwhelming support from the printed media for the conservatives. The Liberals are in shambles and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the NDP's platform was meant for a party who never intended to win. It's an unrealistic pile of garbage.

I'm not exactly look at sober platforms from any of the others. And again, I'll ask, with the likelihood of no one achieving a majority, what is the particular point to even paying the tiniest bit of heed to their platforms?

I'm not exactly look at sober platforms from any of the others. And again, I'll ask, with the likelihood of no one achieving a majority, what is the particular point to even paying the tiniest bit of heed to their platforms?

What's the point in presenting a platform if you're not intending to carry it (as much as possible) through?

Persecution complex. It allows them to wrap themselves in victimhood, so that their righteous anger doesn't ring quite so hollow in their own ears.

Lol nicely stated. It couldn't possibly be the fact that the NDP is joke party with joke policies and joke candidates. Nope...it's all the evil media...

Remind me again why the Cons whine about the liberal media?
The media does generally support the Liberals but since the Libs are out of the game they went with the CPC. It should not be a surprise since puting a party full of left wing nuts in power that never expected to be in power would be a disaster. Even an NDP supporter should understand that they would be better off being Offical Opposition for a while in order to get their act together. Edited by TimG

Because their platform might be to castrate any poster with the moniker "ToadBrother." The other parties might not agree, but the PM can say "This is the platform we were elected on." So I guess it depends whether you mind a high-pitched voice.

Newspapers so far endorsing Conservatives almost exclusively

That's because they know the fiscal disaster in store for Canada if Leyton ever got his hands on power. His fuzzy math doesn't add up. And now he's dodging reporters questions about his fuzzy math.

That's because they know the fiscal disaster in store for Canada if Leyton ever got his hands on power. His fuzzy math doesn't add up. And now he's dodging reporters questions about his fuzzy math.

Look, there's an easy way out of Jack's dilemma. He who controls the house controls the printing press at the national mint. We elect an NDparty & our over/a/buck/looney problems will soon be solved--- it'll be about .50 cents to the Yaun, roughly 0.02 cents to an Amabuck

Look, there's an easy way out of Jack's dilemma. He who controls the house controls the printing press at the national mint. We elect an NDparty & our over/a/buck/looney problems will soon be solved--- it'll be about .50 cents to the Yaun, roughly 0.02 cents to an Amabuck

Hmm, I'm not sure reducing the purchasing power of Canadians is such a great idea. I mean, if he thinks having prices of all goods and services go up, as well as risking higher inflation, then my assertion of a fiscal disaster under Jack "money grows on trees" Layton is even more worrisome.

MoonBox. Don't you see the genius of this plan of his. Let Layton form gov't. After he nearly destroys Canada like Rae did Ontario the Tories will be able to rule with majority after majority for a decade or more. The LPC is nearly destroyed now lets give the NDP enough rope to hang themselves. I'm all for it.

The Tory controlled Senate will quash any bs bills anyways. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Layton will no doubt blame the Tory crony filled Senate for getting nothing done just like a certain President south of the border.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Because mainly it is anti Harper, but they at least are recognizing the folly and economic disaster that would be Canada should the NDP gain power.

Layton as PM is the only way for Harper to rule Canada with an iron fist for decades. Hopefully like Francisco Franco did in Spain. That was awesome.

No wonder Sun TV is dying. There is no shortage of corporate controlled media pandering to big business and the right in Canada.

It's not pandering when you look at the three and make your assessment based on logic and common sense. No one sensible could possibly choose anyone other than the Tories from amongst these three.

Most of those people who have just rushed to support Layton have very little idea what he stands for or what his platform is about.

Only Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party have shown the leadership, the bullheadedness (let's call it what it is) and the discipline this country needs. He has built the Conservatives into arguably the only truly national party, and during his five years in office has demonstrated strength of character, resolve and a desire to reform.

Facing up to Our Challenges

Despite opposition efforts to present Mr. Harper as a radical, his tenure as prime minister — which now extends more than five years — actually has been marked by steadiness and constancy. The main question in this election is about who can steer Canada forward during uncertain economic times. Given Mr. Harper’s record of intelligent, sober leadership, and the many question marks associated with his opponents, his Conservatives are our clear choice in Monday’s election.

Conservatives a Clear Choice in Uncertain Times

Harper is the leader who has shown he understands the need to control public spending, who will stand up for a strong, unified Canada, and who will focus his policies on the needs of taxpayers.

Harper isn’t perfect. We’ve been critical of him before and will continue to hold him to account in the future. But he’s our best option right now, when we need a firm hand on the tiller of our economy.

A Tory Majority Would Be Best For Canada

Edited by Scotty

It's not pandering when you look at the three and make your assessment based on logic and common sense. No one sensible could possibly choose anyone other than the Tories from amongst these three.

Most of those people who have just rushed to support Layton have very little idea what he stands for or what his platform is about.

I posted this in another thread. Go to the CTV news website and read Don Martin's blog. His take is that the electorate is so fed up with the Cons and Libs attacking each other and everything, and bicker in a very partisan manner. And there is Happy Jack, being cool and saying things the non-thinkers like to hear. Anyway, he says this isn't the people being pro-NDP, this is giving Harper and Iggy the finger

I posted this in another thread. Go to the CTV news website and read Don Martin's blog. His take is that the electorate is so fed up with the Cons and Libs attacking each other and everything, and bicker in a very partisan manner. And there is Happy Jack, being cool and saying things the non-thinkers like to hear. Anyway, he says this isn't the people being pro-NDP, this is giving Harper and Iggy the finger

The electorate's giving Harper the finger. They're giving the Liberals the 2x4.

since most of canada's papers are all owned by a single source you actually expected independent opinions?...editors toe the company line...

See, I don't really get that. I don't need Harper, or whomever is PM, to be warm and fuzzy and friendly. I don't need to like him. All I care about is if the man is moderately competent at his job, and Harper is - which is more than you can say for Ignatieff. As for Layton, like I said, his policies are a shambles of economic nonsense and his 'team' is largely made up of screwballs and far left ideologues who haven't had a fresh idea since the cold war. People who want to take a chance putting them in because Harper isn't warm and fuzzy are idiots.

Is that happy Jack or Simple Jack?

And yes, this idea that you need to be a nice guy to be PM or that Canadians need to be 'nice' is just idiotic.

Edited by yarg

since most of canada's papers are all owned by a single source you actually expected independent opinions?...editors toe the company line...

Cue the conspiracy theories...

No doubt Libby Davis would agree with you, as I understand she's fond of them.

See, I don't really get that. I don't need Harper, or whomever is PM, to be warm and fuzzy and friendly. I don't need to like him. All I care about is if the man is moderately competent at his job,

Surely moderately competent must involve facing the reality of a minority government and not acting at every turn like Parliament should exist solely for his benefit. Harper has proven a very capable political manager. As a Parliamentary leader, he has been mediocre at best.

and Harper is - which is more than you can say for Ignatieff. As for Layton, like I said, his policies are a shambles of economic nonsense and his 'team' is largely made up of screwballs and far left ideologues who haven't had a fresh idea since the cold war. People who want to take a chance putting them in because Harper isn't warm and fuzzy are idiots.

Can someone explain to me again why stated policies mean anything when no one can reasonably expect to get a majority.