Harper's Sins

I think Jack's more interested in his own slogans, which he can repeat over and over, using emoticons and exclamation marks. It's his way of participating in discussions.

You mean like:

Blood Libel

(insert name here) Derangement Syndrome

or intimating someone's crazy when you've been backed into a corner of your own making

and then using :lol: to end your posts ,as if claiming absolute victory,a la Baghdad Bob??

Again,as feeble as your efforts are,it's good to know you take time out from slurping the star spangled banner to pay just a little bit of attention to what's going on in your own country...

I think Jack's more interested in his own slogans, which he can repeat over and over, using emoticons and exclamation marks. It's his way of participating in discussions.

Whereas you would never do anything close to sloganeering. I mean, it's a complete accident that I listen to Hannity and suddenly you're saying the same things as him.

Edited by Smallc

Whereas you would never do anything close to sloganeering. I mean, it's a complete accident that I listen to Hannity and suddenly the two of you are saying the same thing.

I think that is somewhat unfair to accuse Mr. "Voted Maple Leaf Web's 'Most Outstanding Poster' 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010" Shady of sloganeering.

I don't dismiss any of it.

All of it is long standing leftie gripery that we've all discussed many times before. None of it is new.

So, thanks to Frances Ricks, PhD, for coming up with a list to remind us what the lefties have been complaining about, but really... so what?

-k

I think I love you Kimmy. Actually - that's true - my wife's name is Kim. But I do agree with you - mostly Lefty gripes - self-righteous, hand-wringing, tempest in a teapot tantrums for the most part. Having said that, there are several things that the Conservatives have done since they came to power that have been questionable - as with any sitting government....but on the whole - especially with one true Lefty party (NDP), one party that wants to break up the country, and one party that will do anything to get back into power - all opposed to the government.....I think they've dome a workmanlike job of keeping Canada on a stable path.

Edited by Keepitsimple

No kidding. Harper wins fossil awards because he doesn't support putting billions towards a kyoto plan that wouldn't do anything for the environment. He should get a "not a moron award" for that.

Most secretive government of all time? Is that a joke? The Chretien government will that along with the title of "the most corrupt government of all time."

Pretty much my feeling. Whether global warming is or is not being aided by CO2 emissions I didn't see anything which indicated the idiocy of Kyoto or its followup had much chance of affecting that one way or another.

As for secretive - we're in a minority government situation, which means the government going to be ultra guarded about all the messages it sends out, and all the information it lets the opposition have, regardless of who the prime minister is or what party is in charge.

Whereas you would never do anything close to sloganeering. I mean, it's a complete accident that I listen to Hannity and suddenly the two of you are saying the same thing.

Hey...

No one said they were the master and mistress of independent thought,did they??

:lol:

Harper like all leaders was highly naive upoun taking office...Then he was briefed by the powers that be...and told - this is what you are going to do...His greatest sin was that of not walking out the door at that moment and saying - I have honour and I can not be bought or sold. Harper like Obama sold his soul...just to have an adventure controled by the sinister.

The problem with the OP's list is the majority of them either never happened at all, or the phrasing is a deliberate mischaracterization of the context of the events. The rest are mostly of the "yes, and that was good policy" variety. There are only a couple in there where one could realistically say, "yeah, that wasn't a good idea".

The only actually true one that he definitely should not have done is the fixed election date issue, but even there the problem was that it couldn't apply to a minority parliament unilaterally unless that also meant the end of non-confidence votes as well. The whole legislation was just not fleshed out well enough before it was enacted. One has to wonder why the opposition passed it.

What they should have done, IMO, is the way municipal elections are done (at least here in Winnipeg). The fixed election date stands, no matter what. And if for whatever reason a election is required between those dates, that term still ends on the original fixed election date. Happened here in Winnipeg. Mayor Murray quit, the election to replace him was only for a two year term. Essentially it's just a by-election.

The problem with the OP's list is the majority of them either never happened at all, or the phrasing is a deliberate mischaracterization of the context of the events. The rest are mostly of the "yes, and that was good policy" variety. There are only a couple in there where one could realistically say, "yeah, that wasn't a good idea".

The only actually true one that he definitely should not have done is the fixed election date issue, but even there the problem was that it couldn't apply to a minority parliament unilaterally unless that also meant the end of non-confidence votes as well. The whole legislation was just not fleshed out well enough before it was enacted. One has to wonder why the opposition passed it.

What they should have done, IMO, is the way municipal elections are done (at least here in Winnipeg). The fixed election date stands, no matter what. And if for whatever reason a election is required between those dates, that term still ends on the original fixed election date. Happened here in Winnipeg. Mayor Murray quit, the election to replace him was only for a two year term. Essentially it's just a by-election.

First, I don't see how fixed election dates and the concept of non-confidence can co-exist.

Secondly, and I am staunchly small c conservative, he absolutely screwed my financially when he did his unit trust flip-flop. That was evil, like the NEP. (Well, maybe not that bad. Actually not anywhere near as bad but still a little bad.) But my choices are hoping against hope that a semi-intelligent independant runs in my riding, not voting, or holding my nose and voting for the Conservatives. All the alternatives are really bad IMHO.

he absolutely screwed my financially when he did his unit trust flip-flop.

The income trust issue is one of the ones where the context is key. The situation changed after the election when large corporations like Telus and BCE wanted to try to avoid paying tax by declaring themselves income trusts. As bad as it was optically, it was something they absolutely had to do.

That doesn't mean they handled it properly either though. There should have been a grandfather clause for the ITs that existed at the time of the promise, or something.

The income trust issue is one of the ones where the context is key. The situation changed after the election when large corporations like Telus and BCE wanted to try to avoid paying tax by declaring themselves income trusts. As bad as it was optically, it was something they absolutely had to do.

Then they should have admitted that they were too stupid to understand the consequences of their actions in the first place instead of the lame excuses they made.

And yes, it should have been at least grandfathered.

Then they should have admitted that they were too stupid to understand the consequences of their actions in the first place instead of the lame excuses they made.

And yes, it should have been at least grandfathered.

You can only make a promise within the framework of what's in front of you.

example:

"We are allies with country- A." But then country-A attacks one of our NATO allies, so we/they take action. That's not a lie, nor is it incompetence, it's just a change of circumstances.

Income trusts was the right decision, just implemented poorly.

You can only make a promise within the framework of what's in front of you.

example:

"We are allies with country- A." But then country-A attacks one of our NATO allies, so we/they take action. That's not a lie, nor is it incompetence, it's just a change of circumstances.

Income trusts was the right decision, just implemented poorly.

If you thought that country A was an ally, then you were flat-assed wrong. You f*cked up. Deal with it. Get better. Don't be whining about it, just get your sh*t straight and do better next time.

Income trust, the way they did it was wrong.

Nobody's whining about it. It's done, it had to be done, sorry it didn't work out for you.

It had to be done? In that way? You sir, are really totally wrong. I wish this was in another board I regularly visit and I could then really tell you what I think of your post.

It had to be done? In that way? You sir, are really totally wrong. I wish this was in another board I regularly visit and I could then really tell you what I think of your post.

I already said it should have been handled differently.

Feel free to speak your mind. You lost money, I expect that you're going to have a strong opinion. Unlike others here, I don't rush to the report button just because someone says something I don't like. I'm a big girl, I can fight my own battles.

From what I've seen on this board, you and I agree about more than we disagree, this one's just a sensitive one for you. that's OK.

Edited by Bryan

I already said it should have been handled differently.

Feel free to speak your mind. You lost money, I expect that you're going to have a strong opinion. Unlike others here, I don't rush to the report button just because someone says something I don't like. I'm a big girl, I can fight my own battles.

From what I've seen on this board, you and I agree about more than we disagree, this one's just a sensitive one for you. that's OK.

That's an honest and open reply, for which I thank you. We may disagree on many things, but we will agree that we are gentlemen and disagree as such.